Our Tweets

Nov 012019

October/November 2019

Welcome to our second newsletter this session – a little later than expected. How has term 1 passed so quickly! Pupils are in full flow in school now and I am pleased with how well they have settled into the routine of their new classes. At present, we are tracking progress and development in order to prepare for interim reports and parent appointments. Academic progress is positive and we have set extremely high standards and targets for end of session. Our performance is scrutinised by education managers and directors and I am proud of our achievements and attainment to date. We must ‘keep up the hard work’!

Homework

It has come to my attention that some parents are unaware of their own child’s homework expectations. In September I sent home a fairly detailed explanation and account of how homework would be managed this session. I am disappointed to hear that some parents have not received this. Every pupil in school was given one. I am in the process of producing more homework packs, please do let me know if you require a copy.

Attendance

It is crucial for your child to come to school every day. Our attendance throughout the school has slipped a little and this is not conducive to purposeful learning and development. Children can come to school with a cold or a cough. If your child is unwell at school we will contact you either to come and collect, or to ask your advice on how best to manage the situation. Often children feel much better once they get into school and they become focused on something in class.

Interim Reports and Parent Appointments

Interim reports are being prepared for all pupils. These will be given out week beginning 11th November. Parent appointments will be held on the 26th November. You will be allocated an appointment time to meet with your child’s teacher to discuss their progress. Please do bring pupils along with you as we will have some activities available for them to work on.

In addition, we will organise appointments with interpreters the following week. Information about this will come to our parents/carers with that requirement.

P.E. Kit

It is very important that all pupils bring PE Kit for PE days. Some pupils also take part in gym hall activities at lunchtimes and so need kit on those days too. If pupils do not have appropriate kit, they cannot take part in activities in the gym – this is for safety and insurance purposes. Please see below for class gym days.

P2/1 Tuesday and Friday

P3/2 Tuesday and Thursday

P4/3  Wednesday and Thursday

P6/5  Tuesday and Thursday

P7/6  Monday and Friday

P7  Tuesday and Friday

Healthy drinks and snacks

We continually try to pass messages of healthy eating and drinking onto pupils. Pupils can drink water at school. During class time pupils can drink plain water. Research proves that this actually enhances performance in the classroom – class teachers will encourage this. Pupils can bring flavoured water (eg lemon lime, strawberry) for break times although we do try to dissuade them from this as there is some sugar contained. We also try to encourage pupils to bring healthy snacks to school. A piece of fruit or chopped vegetables are excellent choices. Pupils are rewarded for making healthy choices in eating and drinking and can win a special active treat if their good choices become consistent.

I am always disappointed when I see pupils coming to school eating sweets and drinking fizzy drinks. I’m not sure if parents and carers know pupils are doing this but I would encourage you to speak with your child about this.

Christmas

The time has come to mention that ‘C’ word! Time is flying past so quickly and we have made lots of exciting plans for pupils throughout this period. All pupils will go on a Christmas outing, they will all go to the Science Centre Christmas activities. In addition all pupils will have a class party and our choir will be out and about ALL over Glasgow raising money to pay for some of these activities! I am in the process of finalising dates and numbers and will give you more detail in the December newsletter.

Parental Engagement  

As a change to our past plans, all classes will be identifying their own way of engaging parents in school life! This makes the process more meaningful for all. More information on specific class dates will follow soon.

NSPCC

We will welcome Richard from NSPCC (protection for children) in to work with pupils in school on the ‘Speak out, Stay safe’ programme on the 15th November. Pupils will engage in presentations and workshops focused on personal safety and self-protection.

Owl Magic

On the 6th November we will welcome in ‘Owl Magic’ to work with our younger pupils. Pupils will hear the story of Owl Babies and get the opportunity to see real owls and learn a little about their habitat.

Out To Play

Some time ago I applied for a competition to win some sessions with organisation ‘Out to Play’. We won!! Out to Play organisation deliver a programme of 6 weeks outdoor learning to pupils and link this in with environmental aspects in addition to drama! It all seems very interesting and, now in week 2, pupils seem to be enjoying the activities.

CityWise

Around 13 pupils have embarked on the CityWise programme this term. CiityWise group is made up of volunteers who are university students. The volunteers are studying in a range of different subjects and wish to work with younger people, sharing their story and trying to foster increased ambition and aspiration in them. We always look out for opportunities to increase our pupils interest and spark enthusiasm for the world of work. Our target is that 100% of our pupils reach positive destinations at the end of their compulsory education.

Extra In-service Days

Teachers across Scotland are being given 2 additional in-service days this session. The first one is on 29th November and the second is 7th February. School will be closed to pupils on these days, in addition to our regular in-service days.

In addition I have just been informed that the school will also be closed to pupils on the 12th December. This school will be used as a polling station for the up and coming elections.

Christmas Festival and Light switch on

Rosemount Development Trust are again organising an exciting event for Christmas this year. They will be having a formal ‘Christmas Light Switch On’ and celebrating their 30th Anniversary with a parade of light. We are hoping to be involved in this with dance and lights! I will share more detail when I have it.

Connect 2

This session we have managed to secure additional staffing so that we can create an additional classroom. This can be used by pupils from any stage. Mr Thomson and Mrs Young will be focusing solely on health and well-being in their classroom called Connect2. At times, pupils find classroom expectation very challenging for a variety of reasons and they need a calm space to re-focus and reflect on re-integrating into classroom life. Connect2 has been fairly busy as we welcome pupils back to school, with some pupils finding it overwhelming. We will soon have a policy statement uploaded onto the school website to give you a clearer idea of the aims and justification for such a space.

Snapshot Week 18.11.19

Feedback last session on snapshot week was very positive and so we have planned these in again for this session. During snapshot week your child will complete all tasks in a particular jotter. At the end of the week your child will bring this home and will need around 20-30 minutes with a parent/carer to speak about their learning. Please do make time for this. We know that when parents/carers engage in their child’s learning and development, their progress will be much better. It will also give you an insight into their work in school and what they get up to during the 6 hours per day they spend in Royston Primary!

Parent Council

We are actively seeking out some willing volunteers to join our parent council. Our parent council are a small group at present but would like to be bigger! Parent council have monthly meetings and look for ways to support school developments, as well as raise issues for discussion around school practice. This is definitely a great way to become engaged in your child’s learning. If you would like more information please get in touch with me and I can link you up with our parent council chair person who can discuss aspects of their work with you.

Jane McShane

May 032019

May 2019 Issue 5

As we step into yet another busy and energetic term I would urge you to read this newsletter. There is always lots of information and key dates given – always useful!

SNSA

Scottish National Standardised Assessments will be carried out with pupils in primary 1, 4 and 7 this term. Pupils sit individual papers online in reading, writing and numeracy and the results of these feed into government statistics on achieving levels.  You may have read or heard about these on the news with people having mixed feelings about these. We do not put pressure on our pupils during these assessments and treat them as a class task as opposed to a ‘test’ – especially for our youngest pupils. Please do get in touch if you have concerns and I can offer some reassurance.

Pupil Equity Funding

For the third year we will receive additional funding for pupils. This is a government initiative to ensure equity in opportunity and support for all pupils. Our amount for the coming session 19-20 has significantly reduced. The government use free school meal entitlement to measure school amounts and our numbers for entitlement have reduced. I cannot stress enough the importance of making your application even if your child already receives free meals. For each child with an entitlement we receive £1200 and our total for August is £68,400. With this additional funding we always place a teacher – this helps us reduce class sizes and gives us more potential to meet all pupil needs. There is little left over after the cost of a teacher, but we are looking at ways of using the left over money to support pupil mental health and well-being. You will shortly receive a survey seeking out our parental views on PEF spending and I do hope you will respond. School and staff are here as a service to you and your children and you have the right to be involved in such decisions. Please do take this opportunity.

Pupil reports

Teachers are at work just now planning and writing reports. We are trialling a new format this session and are keen to hear your views on this. Reports are due out to parents/carers at the end of May. Along with this will be an evaluation and we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new format.

Snap Shot

Last term we trialled a new process in order to share your child’s learning and progress with you. This was by way of a ‘Snapshot’ jotter. It appeared to be fairly successful with the majority of parents/carers taking the opportunity to reflect on their child’s learning. Some parents/carers did not comment and this always surprises me. Our next snapshot week for most classes will be 13th May. Pupils will complete all work tasks at school in this jotter and at the end of the week they will bring it home for you to see and comment on the parent page. This is an opportunity for you to discuss school and learning with your child and look at setting targets together. Please do look out for the jotter coming home and make sure it comes back to school the following week.

Transitions

It is that time of year again! We have plans in place for primary 1 transition with sport events, teddy bear picnics and play days – bringing our current P1 and new entrants together on various occasions. All dates and times have been sent out to all new starts. Our formal induction events are on 9th and 20th May when children will visit and parents will participate in workshops.

The majority of P7-S1 transition plans are made and secondary visits have been arranged – primarily for St Roch’s – 29th and 31st May, 12th and 13th June for Springburn and 21st and 22nd May for Smithycroft.

European Parliamentary Elections

As you may know, the elections will be held on 23rd May. As usual, Royston Primary will be used as a polling station. As such there will now be an additional in service day for pupils due to security issues for pupils whilst the elections are taking place.

We’re having a baby!

I am delighted to inform you that Mrs Mair is expecting! She is keeping well, but some pupils have had suspicions! Mrs Mair will work on until summer holidays and is unlikely to return in August 2019. We offer our congratulations and best wishes at this happy and slightly overwhelming time!

Benji Bus

We are looking forward to housing Benji Bus May 13th-15th. Benji is a double decker bus full of interesting and exciting activities for young children. I am keen for all our P1/2 pupils and parents to experience time on the bus and will be organising a timetable to allow everyone equal opportunity. I am aware we have many families with children younger than school age and I will timetable you some time on board also. Please look out for information about this in school and on twitter.

London 3rd-6th June

Our primary 7 pupils will soon be venturing off to London for a jam packed itinerary full of exciting experiences. I must urge parents who haven’t paid £100 to try to pay this asap. I will host an information session for parents on the 15th May at 2pm for parents and pupils attending to find out more details on the trip and ask questions. There will be another information session nearer the time.

Library visits

As you will be aware, all pupils have fortnightly visits to the library and we have managed to get almost all pupils signed up as members. I would urge you to allow your child to visit and utilise the great library resource outwith school also. Pupils can visit the library any time they wish. Please do encourage your child to take an interest in the library as this is an excellent facility to have on your door step.

Annual Litter Pick 17th May

Our P4-7 pupils will soon engage with Spireview Housing Association in the annual litter pick. In some ways it is disappointing that we need to do this as no one should drop litter. However the reality is that people do and we hope that by encouraging our pupils to support a clean up, they will take a pride in their environment and not be the next generation of litter droppers.

Sports Day

Our annual sports day will be on the 28th May. Pupils will take part in the usual type of activities and play in their house groups. It would be great if your child could wear an item of clothing in their house colour – yellow, red, blue or green. It could be a t shirt or a pair of socks…even a head band! P1-3 pupils will participate 9.30-12 and P4-7 will participate 1-2.50pm.

Diary dates

School will be closed to pupils on:

6th May – holiday

7th May – In service

23rd May – Elections/In service

24th and 27th May Holiday

School will close at 1pm on the 28th June for the summer holidays.

Summer trips have yet to be organised – please do let us know if you have ideas on this. We are looking at different locations for this at present.

Some usual items…

• ALL pupils require to have the correct gym kit on the correct days. ALL pupils know when their gym days are and letters have also been sent out. Gym kit is shorts/leggings, T-shirt and indoor shoes. I am surprised we still have pupils regularly coming to school with no kit.
  • Pupils should only be bringing water to school. This can be flavoured but preferably plain. There should be no colouring in it.

Jane McShane

Head Teacher

Headteacher@royston-pri.glasgow.sch.uk

Feb 212019

On Wednesday 20th February, there was a special Careers Day at our school. For our P7/6 and P6/5 classes this meant the majority of the day was spent learning about a range of different careers from special guest visitors.

From 10-12 there was a Career ‘Speed Meet’ where small groups of children went around tables for 5 minutes speaking to a number of different guests from a range of careers. Our incredible special guests were:

• Erin Thomson (Clydesdale Bank – Human Resources)
  • Rachel Kangley (Clydesdale Bank – Complaints Handler)
  • Paul McGinley (Clydesdale Bank – Business Systems Analyst)
  • Kaye McFall (Blochairn Housing Services Assistant)
  • Danielle Murphy (Blochairn Housing Services Assistant)
  • Bronwyn Tibbs (Rehabilitation Support Coordinator)
  • Kerry Graham (Greggs – Customer Assistant)
  • Brian Tibbs (Talbot Association)
  • Richard Sherlock (Royston Youth Action – Senior Youth Worker)
  • Connor McKee (Royston Youth Action – Outdoor Youth Worker)
  • Karen Scott (PhD Student at University of Strathclyde)
  • John Burns (Fleming Buildings Limited – Assistant Site Manager)
  • David Young (Fleming Buildings Limited – Joiner)
  • Willie Steer (Thales Optronics – Mechanical Design Engineer)
  • Michael Tuohy (North Kelvin Sports –
  • Ross Steer (Punch Consulting – Civil Engineer)

We were delighted with all of the volunteers who gave up their own time to speak to our children. The children were exceptionally engaged throughout the time and gained a lot of information about some jobs they didn’t know existed but also, a deeper insight into jobs they did know about. Once they finished, children filled out comment cards about their experience during the ‘Speed Meet’. Here are some of the comments from the children:

• “Hearing about how things work in Greggs was fascinating”
  • I enjoyed Ross because his job is amazing. His job is basically making blueprints and builds like bridges.”
  • “It was really fun because I got to learn about different jobs and experiences. Also it was great asking questions.”
  • “We loved hearing about other peoples jobs. My favourite person was Rachel. It was so much fun.”
  • “My favourite part was listening to other people’s jobs and getting inspired.”
  • “I liked Brian because he told me some fascinating things about different homes for different causes.”
  • “Today I learned about lots of different jobs I was so interested and I loved it. I hope we do it again.”
  • “I liked how Michael has a job with sports as that’s what I like doing.”
  • “I enjoyed the experience because it gives multiple choices for the close future.”
  • “Willie showed us lenses that he had designed and how they worked. It was really cool.”

In the afternoon, the two classes were treated to inspirational talks from Karen Scott and Craig MacDonald. Karen is well known to the children as she previously worked in the Royston Food Hub for North Glasgow Community Food Initiative. She gave an inspirational message about how hard you need to work to achieve what you want in life. She gave good details about her journey into her current role as a PhD student at the University of Strathclyde where she has some responsibility teaching students. She discussed all of the different jobs she has worked, places she had lived and different qualifications she has achieved.

Craig MacDonald is a pilot who works for Norwegian Airlines. He described how he left school earlier than he should have and how he wished he had stayed on. His dream was to be a pilot so he worked hard to earn enough money to pay for flying lessons. After learning to fly planes he has managed to work his way up so that he is now a Senior First Officer with Norwegian Airlines. He had loads of interesting stories about plane journeys he has been on and places around the world that he has flown to. He described how he flew for 16 hours from Abu Dhabi to Los Angeles which meant he flew over the North Pole! When doing this journey he achieved his dream of flying the Boeing 777 and his next target is to become a Captain.

P1 and P2 were also treated to a talk from one of our P1 dad’s. He works as a manager at a recycling plant and he was able to share all about his job to the youngest children in our school. As a school we are delighted with the range of adults who came to our school, including several parents and relations. Without their support of our careers day the day couldn’t happen so we cannot thank all of the adults who came enough!