During work experience I went to a company called JFD which is an engineering company that designs and manufactures rescue vessels for navy submarines. Over the week I was able to watch engineers design different part for the rescue vessels and I was able to meet with engineers from different fields whether that be structural engineering or naval architecture.

I was able to look at one of the rescue vessels and look at all the different parts that go into it. I was able to look at all the other products that they make to like underwater gear and other water vessels. I met with a naval architect who explained what his job was and showed me things that he had been working on.

I also met with a woman engineer who told me all the advantages of working in a field that is heavily dominated by men. She told me all the ways in to engineering like apprenticeships and university and what each path has to offer. She helped me become more confident in my decision to become an engineer.

During my time there I was able to look at reports and create 3D models of different components that go into the final product. I was able to sit in meetings and learn about what goes on behind the scenes.

My experience there has helped me develop my confidence because they let me do tasks that let me be very independent. I also developed my listening skills because they had to give me instructions in what to do and I had to listen carefully because they would not be able to repeat the instructions and I also developed my CAD skills because I had to create models under timed conditions.