S2 Culzean Castle Trip

Our S2 pupils will be participating in the annual trip to Culzean Castle as part of the biology course in the coming weeks. Trips are taking place on 30 August, 1 September, 5 September and 6 September and the pupils are aware of which trip they are participating in.

Wishing them an enjoyable and informative experience!

Upcoming School Events

The following events are taking place in school in the coming weeks:

• Rome Information Evening – Thursday 25 August, 7pm in the Forum
  • Pilgrimage to Margaret Sinclair Shrine – Tuesday 30 August
  • S1/2 Rome Disco – Tuesday 30 August
  • CERN Information Evening – Wednesday 31 August, 7pm
  • Inaugural Mass – Thursday 1 September, 7pm

We look forward to welcoming pupils, parents and staff to these events.

School Twitter (@stninianshigh)

We have a very active school Twitter account which allows us to send out information very quickly to our followers. We tweet information on upcoming events, pictures from school events and classes, important updates and day to day information as it happens in the school.

The school Twitter account (@stninianshigh) has now over 4000 followers!

For all the latest news and information about all aspects of school life go to www.twitter.com/stninianshigh.

You do not need an account to view ours but please create one and follow us.

Netball Trials

Trials for the school netball teams will take place next week at the following times:

• S1 – Sports Hall: 3.00 – 4.30pm Wednesday 24.08.16
  • S2 –  Games Hall: 3.00 – 4.30pm Wednesday 24.08.16
  • S3 –  Games Hall: 3.45 – 5.00pm Thursday 25.08.16
  • SENIORS – Sports Hall: 3.45 – 5.00pm Thursday 25.08.16

The trials are open to all girls in each year group.

Faith Matters (Week Beginning 15 August ’16)

The following Faith events are taking place in school this week:

• Monday: Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Mass at 8.25am in the Oratory
  • Morning Mass – Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in the Oratory, 8.25am
  • Eucharistic Adoration – Friday in the Oratory, 12 – 1pm
  • Rosary – Friday in the Oratory, 12.25 – 1pm

All parents, pupils and staff are most welcome to attend.

Diocesan Vocations Mass, Monday, August 22, 7pm in St Mirin’s Cathedral, Paisley.

A bus will leave the school at 6.05pm. If any pupil is interested in attending, please contact Mr Bradshaw or Mr Cumming.

faith matters

Faith Matters

Please note the following upcoming faith events:

• Inaugural and Academic Mass for Session 2016-17 will be celebrated at 7.00pm on Thursday 1 September 2016.
  • Eucharistic Adoration will be held every Friday in our Oratory from 12.20 – 1.00pm and Novena to Margaret Sinclair for our friends and families who are ill – every Monday at 12.40pm.
  • Morning Mass is celebrated at 8.25am every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

All pupils, parents, families and friends are welcome.

Daily Inspiration

A Student’s Prayer

Dear God,
Help me remember that you’re always by my side,
at school and all day long.
Help me be the best student I can be,
using all the gifts and talents you’ve given me.
Help me study well and often
– especially when I don’t feel like studying at all!
Help me finish all my homework – on time.
Help me listen to my teachers and coaches.
Help me play fair and play safely.
Help me be honest when I’m tempted to cheat.
Help me always tell the truth.
Help me be kind to everyone at school
and to treat others as I’d want them to treat me.
Help me make good friends
and help me be a good friend to others.
Help me see how I can help others
and to ask for help when I need it myself.
Help me love and respect, trust and appreciate my parents
– and be honest with them.
Help me remember that you’re with me always, Lord,
and that you’ll never leave my side.
Amen.

Mathematics Achievements

Congratulations to Charlie Mone (S2) who received a merit certificate in the Junior Maths Olympiad – a super achievement!
The following pupils achieved recognition in the UK Maths Junior Kangaroo competition:
S2

Euan Smith  – Merit certificate

Participation certificates:
Caterina Lue
Heather Spooner
Niambh Boyle 
Antony Harley 
Lucia Doyle
Anthony Collins
Francesca Heath 
Nicole Sung
Nusaybah Ashraf
Francesca Pacitti

S1

Rebecca Clarke – Merit certificate
Rachel Callan – Participation certificate

Instrumental Lessons

Instrumental Lessons

Welcome back to all musicians and in particular to all the new S1 instrumentalists.  Instrumental lesson times will again be posted on the notice board outside the Music Store. A link will also be placed on the Music Department area of the School Website as and when they become available.  There is a link to Mrs Robert’s timetable below.  Pupils can pick up a blue permission card from the Music Base.  S1 pupils should pop in to the Music Base as soon as possible to meet the Music staff and find out where and when their lessons are.  Teachers will attend school on the following days: –

Monday  

Mrs Nicholson             Brass

Tuesday 

Mrs McTaggart           Violin and Viola

Ms McKay                     Cello

Ms Beaton                    Clarsach

Wednesday

Mr West                       Woodwind

Mr Gordon                  Drum Kit

Mr Hallam                   Guitar

Thursday

Miss Rose                       Percussion

Mr Hallam                     Guitar

Mrs Roberts*              Woodwind  (Link to Mrs Robert’s Timetable)

Friday 

Mr Hallam                  Guitar

• There will be a change of day for Mrs Roberts the first two weeks back. She will teach on Tuesday 16th August and 23rd  Lessons will then revert to Thursdays from the 1st of September.

Confucius Institute Chinese Language and Culture Immersion Course 2016

Well done to Michael McGrade (6a10), Louisa Preston (6a7) and Art and Design teacher Ms Kelly who have just returned from the Confucius Institute for Scotland Schools’ Summer Immersion trip to China. Below are their reflections on a truly wonderful experience.

Michael McGrade (6a10)

Our trip to China was without a doubt one of the best experiences of my life. We began our journey with a rather luxurious flight to Beijing through Dubai. Upon arriving in the capital it was immediately apparent that we were in a country remarkably different to that of our own. The first leg of the trip took place in Tianjin, a modern and yet authentic mainland city. During our fortnight stay we were constantly busy with language and culture classes, trips to markets and museums and tastes of local cuisine. In Beijing, we were fortunate enough to visit China’s most historical sites. From the Forbidden City to the Great Wall, we experienced China from an ancient perspective. Above all though, I spent my time there with a brilliant group of like-minded young people who were as captivated by Chinese culture as myself.

Away from its fascinating history and vibrant modernity, my most unforgettable experience was visiting a regular Chinese family. Our morning began with a trip to a local Chinese secondary school where we were paired with another student. The importance of education in China was instantly clear; the school boasted superb academic facilities. In the afternoon we visited our paired families where we tried 饺子(dumplings – a meat and vegetable stuffing coated in pastry) and discussed our daily lives in both English and mandarin- the Chinese school day can average twelve hours! Later that day, we went to a public park in the heart of the city where I was unduly thumped by a local table tennis player.

All in all, my Chinese language skills, appreciation of different cultures and understanding of the world around me have all massively benefitted from this trip. I could not recommend it highly enough.

Louisa Preston (6a7)

I was privileged to be given the opportunity to experience China fully in a way that most people would not get the chance to; through student and family life in Tianjin, and also as a tourist, as we visited famous sights like Tiananmen Square and the Great Wall in Beijing.

From day one, our days were jam-packed as we were either participating in intensive studies at the university or taking part in cultural activities ranging from Kung Fu to making traditional paper art. This experience was enhanced by the other Scottish students who were also on the trip, all of whom were as interested in both learning mandarin and about the Chinese way of life as myself. During our time, we were even given the opportunity to visit a Chinese family home, where we chatted about the differences between Scotland and China from a teenage perspective. Before leaving, we taught them traditional dances such as ‘The Gay Gordons’ and we were in turn taught a traditional Chinese song. I was even served a bowl of ‘lucky’ noodles and eggs on my birthday, which I guess you could say is slightly different to the birthday cakes most of my friends had on their 17th birthdays.

Despite leaving the university behind, our education didn’t stop when we arrived in Beijing. We learned about different periods of Chinese history as we visited several famous monuments throughout the city, accompanied by a fantastic tour guide.

My time in China has greatly increased my thirst for knowledge in both Chinese culture and the language itself. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone.

Ms E Kelly (Art and Design)

Departing on the 10th-27th July the pupils spent the first part of their trip in Tianjin. Staying at Tianjin’s Foreign Studies University, pupils and teachers participated in both language and cultural lessons. Most pupils were limited in their experience with the language and were working toward completion of the YCT Level One test, but for those who were a little more proficient there was an opportunity to attend advanced classes. I’m very proud to say that everyone, including myself, passed the YCT Level One test; Louisa passed level 3 and Michael was the only pupil to sit level 4! Congratulations everyone!

The language program was broken up with cultural activities such as Chinese opera mask and fan painting, Tai Chi and Kung Fu. We also visited Ancient Culture Street, Food Street and The Italian Street. An afternoon at the Tianjin Museum and Art Gallery provided opportunities to view the stunning modern architecture. A visit to our partner school and local families immersed the pupils in local life. Spending the evening with a family in their home within the community allowed us to practice our Chinese conversational skills and make dumplings for dinner, experiencing great hospitality.

Tianjin University had a great community spirit; we joined members of the local community each day for morning exercise and were invited to take part in football, tennis and basketball games in the evenings.

Beijing was the highlight of everyone’s trip. The Great Wall, Olympic Stadium, Forbidden City, Summer Palace and Temple of Heaven – the itinerary was full of amazing experiences. Unforgettable views from the top of the Great Wall, beautiful scenery and a peaceful atmosphere in a very crowded Summer Palace were a few of the unforgettable moments. The pupils and I were very happy to put our new Mandarin skills to the test, bartering prices at the famous Pearl Market!

Our pupils were a credit to their schools and their Council. Each gained many new skills, formed new friendships and made a lot of memories.

You can see photos from this exciting trip here.

Hanban Chinese Proficiency Test Summer Camp 2016

Miss Beaton and Mrs Zhou accompanied the following 13 students to China from the 9th-25th July to take part in this year’s Hanban Proficiency Test Summer Camp. The 16-day journey started in Beijing where the group, along with students from England and the USA, took in sights such as Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, the Great Wall and the Temple of Heaven, before they boarded the high speed train to Xi’an.

In Xi’an the students stayed at the Bodi International School and participated in both language and cultural lessons designed to enhance their appreciation and knowledge of Chinese language and customs. In addition to developing their written and spoken Mandarin, students had the opportunity to hone their calligraphy, mask making and ink painting skills, as well as taking part in music and Tai Chi lessons. The programme also included visits to the Terracotta Warriors, Ming Tombs, The Wild Goose Pagoda and the Horticultural Exposition Theme Park.

All students thoroughly enjoyed this once in a lifetime experience, making new international friends, and gaining a deeper understanding of Chinese traditions. The students were a complete credit to the school and perfect ambassadors for their country. They made what could have been a challenging experience a complete pleasure. Many congratulations for the Mandarin class students who took part in the trip!

Anna Gallagher (5a4), Sonny Innes (5a9),  Rocco Innes (6a5), Thomas Moffat (5a9), Lewis McLachlan (5a3), Max McAllan (6a7), Daniel Rae (6a10), Jagoda Halicka (4a7), Eilidh MacDonald , Laura Keenan, Erin Leahy (4a7), Howie Liu (6a4) and William Cheng (5a9).

You can view photos from this exciting trip here.