Focus of the Week (Week Beginning 30 November 2015)

Advent / Thinking Faith:

During Advent, Holy Mass will be celebrated each morning, Monday-Friday, 8.25am. All pupils, parents/carers and staff are invited to join us to prepare for the Nativity of the Lord.

Thinking Faith:

Responding to Your Report & Teacher Feedback:

Responding to your Report & Teacher Feedback

S4 Parents’ Evening : Pupil Achievement and Profiling Booklet

To view all of the Focus of the Weeks click here.

Family Ceilidh

Family Ceilidh Publisher

This year’s Family Ceilidh will be held tonight (Friday 27 November) at 7.30pm.

There will be a live Ceilidh band, excellent raffle prizes, pizza to buy and BYOB.

It would be great to see as many pupils, parents, carers, staff and friends of St Ninian’s at this years Ceilidh. All proceeds will go towards supporting extra-curricular activities within the school.

Tickets are available to buy from the school office.

Big Debate

We will be hosting the East Renfrewshire Schools Debate today, which will be broadcast live on BBC Radio Scotland, as part of their ‘Big Debate’ series.

The 60-minute long discussion, covering topical stories, takes place from a different location each week and allows members of the public to pose questions to a panel of politicians and prominent figures from the world of business, academia and the arts.

The programme will be presented by Gordon Brewer.

Primary Visit

Following on from Mr Docherty’s visit to Our Lady of the Missions Primary last week Mr Docherty visited three primary 7 classes at St Cadoc’s Primary.  He was accompanied on his three visits by groups of current first year pupils.  During each visit they spent time talking to Primary 7 pupils about the high standards expected of every pupil and what opportunities they can look forward to when they come to St Ninian’s next August.

Mr Docherty would like to thank staff for their kind welcome and the Primary 7 pupils for their excellent contribution to the discussions that took place. It is clear from these visits that next year’s first year are shaping up to be another exceptional year group.

Mr Docherty is looking forward to his visit to St Joseph’s Primary next week.

St Ninian’s High School: Advent Service and School Launch of Year of Mercy.

The School’s Advent Service ‘Do Whatever He Tells You’ will take place on the Solemnity of The Immaculate Conception at 3.40pm on Tuesday 8 December 2015 in The Oratory.

Refreshments and Mince Pies will be served around 4.30pm. A warm welcome is extended to all pupils, staff, parents, families and friends of the School to come for what will also be our School Launch of our activities to mark the Year of Mercy.

Duke of Edinburgh

A reminder to parents and pupils who wish to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze award this year.

The final date for when slips have to be returned to confirm your place is Monday 30 November. For anyone who is still to pay their £25 deposit, you can do this via the online payment for schools section on the school website. To complete payment you will need your SQA number.  If you do not know your number, you can find this out form the school office.

There will also be a meeting in the Gym on Friday 27th November at 12.30pm. Sheets will be handed out to participants which will assist them in identifying targets for their Skills, Physical and Volunteering sections of their online portfolio.

If you are unable to attend then please see Mr. Low so that you do not miss out on this important information.

Pamper Evening and Christmas Fayre

Thank you to everyone who contributed to our Pamper Evening and Christmas Fayre on Friday evening. This year’s event was hugely successful and we managed to raise £1,511. This was our highest total to date and all funds raised will go towards improving extra curricular activities within the school.

We would like to thank everyone who helped organise this year’s event and to all those who attended.

Pictures can be viewed here.

Join in by coming to the book sales (new and old) on Tuesday and Thursday in the Forum – raising money for the library and Nepalese Earthquake Relief Fund.  Maker tables in the library every day at lunchtime. PLUS – Caption Competition open to staff and pupils – with prizes!

ERC Malawi Trip

The ERC visit to Malawi was a great success and all of the pupils who took part have returned safely.

Our thanks to Mr. Creighton who was a great mentor for the young people of St. Ninian’s, supporting them through the application process, getting information out to the pupils, and helping them keep on task with their fundraising.

Thank you to parents and friends of the pupils  for your support over this last year leading up to this memorable visit.

With every best wish

John Docherty

Service of Light

Thank you to our school Chaplain, Fr Jim who led today’s Service of Light. The Service allowed parents/carers, pupils and staff to come together as a school community to pray for loved ones who have passed in the last year.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,

and let perpetual light shine upon them.

May the souls of the faithful departed,

through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Our Lady of the Missions Primary Visits

As part of our Primary/Secondary transition programme Mr Docherty visited Our Lady of the Missions Primary School this week. He was accompanied on his four visits by groups of current first year pupils.  During the visits they spent time talking to Primary 7 pupils about the high standards expected of every pupil and what opportunities they can look forward to when they come to St Ninian’s next August.

Mr Docherty would like to thank staff for their kind welcome and the Primary 7 pupils for their excellent contribution to the discussions that took place.

Mr Docherty will visit St Cadoc’s and St Joseph’s Primary Schools over the next few weeks.

Pupil Achievement

Recognising ‘Pupil Achievement’ is fundamental to the success of our young people. 

‘Recognising achievement shouldn’t be a ‘tick-box’ exercise involving lists of activities, but should focus on helping young people to understand the skills they have developed through these activities and enable them to better describe to others how they can demonstrate and build on those skills. It must have credibility with young people, their parents, employers, universities and colleges’. (Education Scotland)

We welcome pupils and parents to inform us of achievements both in and out of school, this can be done through the link below. You can also find information regarding various awards that pupils can work towards:

Inform Us Of Your Achievements

All achievement is published on our school website and on the school Twitter Page (

Pupil Achievement and Profiling Booklets

In the forthcoming weeks, S1-S3 pupils will be issued with a Pupil Achievement and E-Portfolio Booklet. This booklet will allow pupils to review the skills which they have developed through participating in the wider life of the school and the school community, as well as through their academic success. The information recorded within these booklets will be transferred into their Glow E-Portfolio. 

S4-S6 pupils will receive a Pupil Achievement and Profiling Booklet. Again, reviewing their strengths and interests, they will use this booklet as a learning tool for future completion of a Personal Statement.

All pupils should complete these booklets at home and during PSHE lessons.

Daily Inspiration

Calm me, quiet me, settle me…

Steady me, balance me, ground me…

Plant me, root me, embed me…

Support me, sustain me, protect me…

Forgive me, pardon me, free me…

Refresh me, restore me, heal me…

Enfold me, embrace me, hold me…

– Lord, hear my prayer today!

Which or how many of these two-word prayers  are your prayers today?

S2 Information Evening

Dear Parent/Guardian

Thursday 19 November 2015 7.00pm – 9.00pm

I would like to invite you to the S2 Information Evening where you will have the opportunity to hear how well the Second year pupils have continued to build on the excellent progress they have made since first year and the experiences they have gained from the exposure to each of their subjects. The first part of the evening will take the form of a talk from myself where it will be a chance to focus on the pathways of progression our pupils will make through second year and how this will build into the National Courses they will study in third and fourth year.

The second part of the evening will be made up of a number of short workshops delivered by curriculum teachers looking at the second year courses our pupils study. As a parent you will have the opportunity to select the workshops pertinent to your child. These workshops will provide a clearer understanding of what each curriculum course involves and how, as parents, you can support your child. We will look at homework and revision as well as practical matters such as how to be organised for classes.

To ensure that you have an opportunity to attend the workshops which apply to your child a place can be booked online and I would encourage all parents to do so.

The website for selecting workshops can be found here.

The password is: saint84

Please note that each family requires one booking/ticket to be allocated for each presentation

I look forward to seeing you on the evening.

Yours sincerely

J. Cumming

Depute Head Teacher