My name is Alisha Aslam and for my work experience I went to work in the opticians called ‘special eyes’. I had to go to two different branches during my placement. During my placement I had the opportunity to observe how eye examinations are completed and I also got to find out about the various issues people suffer which I did not know about before the placement. During the examinations I also took notes that would be useful for me in the future. Another task I carried out was to file information, which I quite enjoyed.

The two branches I went to were quite similar. I had spent one day in Maxwell Drive and the rest in Alisson Street. The staff there were really friendly and kind; they answered my questions whenever I asked them. Also, during my placement I also had my own eyes tested which I thought was nice because then I got the chance to experience this from two perspectives; the observers and the patients.

I really enjoyed my time during my placement. I was unsure about career choices before this placement but now I think that this may be the career I want to peruse when I am older.