That’s us back in school after a needed Christmas break. Hope everyone got much needed rest and that you had a good festive season. This term, we will be continuing with the usual lunchtime activities in the library, as well as supporting learning and teaching, project research, Accelerated Reader (AR), and your reading interests.
Library Periods & Accelerated Reader
S1-S2 have timetabled time in the library once a week during English. Other year groups might also come on an ad hoc basis. During library time, pupils can select and borrow books, read quietly, and do AR quizzes, use the online catalogue, OLIVER to search for books or check their loan records. From time-to-tome, there may be library induction activities, for example, learning to use OLIVER, how to find resources, note taking, research skills. Pupils are also given a chance to suggest books for the library.
During this time your teacher or the librarian may talk to you about your reading, finding out what you like, and giving recommendations. You will also be told your AR levels. It is recommended that you read within or above your level to help improve your reading which also has a positive impact on your learning across all subjects. You don’t always have to read an AR levelled book but it is important you do read some and do the quizzes.
OLIVER & LearnPath
Remember to use the library catalogue to help you find books in the library, including other books similar to what you searched for. If you are logged into your account it will also give you recommendations based on what you have previously borrowed. Speak to Mrs Sinclair if you have forgotten your login details.
LearnPath is part of OLIVER and is a collection of curated weblinks and other information to help with you subjects, project research, and course choice.
Library is open at lunchtimes for reading, research, homework, computer access and activities. Please be aware due to split lunches, there may be a class. They will get priority over computers and use of the upper library. This means users will need to be quiet. Pupils requiring to do school work or Accelerated Reader quizzes will always get priority over leisure use of the computers.
Lunch passes for these specific activities can be picked up from the library of front office.
- Monday – Miniature Painting: some miniatures available for you to paint or bring your own. Paint and brushes supplied.
- Tuesday – Chess Club (and other board games)
- Wednesday: No specific activity. You can choose: Magic the Gathering, Colouring, Reading, Manga Club… or suggest something you’d like to do and we’ll see if it is possible.
- Thursday – Dungeons & Dragons: Discussion, character creation, help understanding the rules, RPG reading, possibly even a short game.
- Friday – library not available for lunchtime use due to Friday activities.
Tuesday After School 15:35-16:45
- Dungeons & Dragons: Experienced players – waiting list for Mrs Sinclair’s Rime of the Frostmaiden game (S3-6), or set up your own group.
- Homework & Study: Computers available
- Names to Mrs Sinclair before the end of the school day on Tuesday
The COVID Stuff
Mitigations are still in place. Please be mindful the library is used by a lot of people.
- Windows are on ventilation or are opened fully when the library is busy – please do not close them. Make sure you wear warm clothing as it can get quite cold.
- Sanitise your hands on entering and leaving the library as well as in between handling books, board games, and other resources.
- Clean shared equipment: computer keyboards and mice, desk, and chair levers after you used them. Also wipe down chairs and desks where you have sat. NB. Staff will spray down desks after classes have been in.
- Wear your masks properly at all times, ensuring your nose and mouth are fully covered.
- Keep your distance from staff at all times and from each other. Library furniture is arrange to help with this.
Please return or renew all books borrowed before the Christmas holidays.