World Book Day takes place on the first Thursday in March – next week 5th March. Once again, we are planning a few activities around this national celebration of Reading for Pleasure. It is hoped both pupils and staff will get involved. The following is planned for 5th March. Some (or all) will hopefully be taking place.
- Bookish Event in library at Lunchtime on Thursday 5th March. Snacks and drinks provided.
- Book swap – swap your unwanted books with the selection available.
- Peedie Book Fair – courtesy of Stromness Books & Prints. There will be a small selection of books available for sale in the library.
- Teen Book Club – Scholastic book club leaflets available. Earn new books for the school library by purchasing books. Order online at: http://schools.scholastic.co.uk/stromness-academy
- Shelfies Competition – Match staff to pictures of their book shelves. Easter Eggs for prizes.
- Display – Classroom door posters: What teachers and other staff are reading.
Drawing Competition: There will also be a National Book Token competition running throughout the month of March and this will also be launched next week. Pupils can design a new book-themed token using the template provided . There are three categories: up to 8 years, 9–12 years, 13–16 years. An overall winner will be used on a real book token. Examples of tokens from: National Book Tokens: www.nationalbooktokens.com/
FIRST PRIZE in each age range is:
- £250 National Book Tokens for the school
- £100 National Book Tokens for the school child
- £100 National Book Tokens for the teacher
RUNNER-UP PRIZE in each age range is:
- £150 National Book Tokens for the school
- £50 National Book Tokens for the school child
- £50 National Book Tokens for the teacher