Stromness Academy Library

Books, reading and life in a school library

More Comments

Here is another batch of comments from the recent survey.

• A room to socialise

This is a school library, not a social area although we are much more relaxed in its use at lunchtimes than we used to be or compared to other school libraries. Is this more an issue about space to socialise in the school?

• Study area for younger pupils now and again

Ah! I think I could be at fault here, having not properly let you know that the study area upstairs is available to you if you ask permission to use it. During class time it is primarily a senior study area, but at lunchtime, if you want to do some work away from the hubbub of the Lower Library then please just ask and you will be allowed to work in the Upper Library.

• If we could talk a bit more
  • If you could chat!

This was a fairly common comment. I presume some of you mean that you want to chat more during your library period. Well, library periods are there to help and encourage you with your individual reading which means you shouldn’t need to be chatting unless we are doing some sort of activity which requires discussion.

• A more relaxed attitude towards people who go to the library

Okay, fair enough but it works both ways. I have a much more relaxed attitude than I used to have but at the end of the day we are all human and will have ‘off days’. For me to be able to keep a relaxed attitude you need to play your part by following the library code of conduct and instructions given by myself or your teachers and ensuring that you use the library in a responsible manner.

• Longer opening times

Not quite sure what you mean here as the library is available to you from 8:40am in the morning until 4pm (4.30pm on Tuesday). The library is shut at interval (except when there are pupil librarian meetings) and for half an hour at 12noon (1.20pm on Friday) so I can have a break and my lunch.

• We could listen to IPods while we read.
  • Be able to use IPods

I understand where you are coming from with this one as so many people nowadays listen to music through MP3 players / mobile phones, etc, but it is actually a school rule that during class time you don’t use them and in the library they are only permitted in the Upper Library when senior pupils are studying. (Younger pupils may ask permission to use the Upper Library for individual study at lunch times.)

It is also quite important that you don’t get used to using them all the time when you are reading or studying because you will not be able to use them in an exam situation and it has been known for exam performance to drop as a result.

Personal music players can be quite intrusive (and therefore not personal at all) if they are not turned down very low, or to anyone with sensitive hearing. If you use them, you often don’t hear any instructions, questions, etc

• Play some music in background quietly

I sometimes do play music (often around Christmas time quietly in the background and some pupils have said they like this to me in the past. It is played very quietly so you have to be quiet to hear it.

• If there were some games or something you could win a prize every month or year
  • More activities to win stuff

Good idea! I have thought about this on and off, and have tried it over the years I have been Librarian here. Sometimes pupils are interested and sometimes they aren’t. I will have a think about trying some ‘mini competitions next session but you must support them!