The 1st of November was the Feast of All Saints and Fr Ness was in the school to celebrate two Masses for us. This also marked the start of the month when we remember those who have gone before us and we have been very fortunate that Fr Ness has been undertaking a number of November Services with some of our classes.
Our Social Subjects department organised a trip for about half of our S2 pupils to Bannockburn. There were presentations, visits to the battle room, Bruce Monument and even a bit of dressing up. This was a very successful trip enjoyed by the pupils.
Our performing Arts department went on their annual trip to London recently. They packed loads into their short stay with activities including ice skating, visits to Harrods, the Natural History Museum, Madam Tussaud’s, the London Eye and they also went to see the show ‘School of Rock’. Another very successful trip!
The work on our 3G Pitch is now underway and it is great to see progress being made daily. The target date for completion is Friday 6th March 2020 (weather depending!)
As part of staff health and wellbeing we were visited recently by a ‘Know Your Numbers’ bus where staff had the opportunity to get pulse, blood pressure and cholesterol checked. Lots of staff took this opportunity to get checked and as far as I know we are all a fairly health bunch!
11th November was Armisitice Day and we marked this with a 2 minute silence in the school at 11am, followed by a short prayer.
The S3 pupils recently set up a Micro tyco trade Fayre. They worked in groups preparing and setting up their stalls and had a great time. They managed to raise about £430 for the charity Wild Hearts who try to support social change throughout the world. One of their main projects is to provide start up loans to small businesses. Hopefully the 6 weeks spent by the pupils learning about Wild Hearts and planning their business venture, they have also developed an understanding that business can be a force for positive social change. (Below is a small selection of the many groups that took part)
A reminder that our Christmas Fair takes place on Wednesday 27th November 5.30-8.30pm. We have lots of stalls so please come along and support this this year.
- 16th – 30th November – Catholic Education fortnight
- Thursday 21st November – S1 Parents’ Evening
- Tuesday 26th November – Annual Education Mass
- Wednesday 27th November – OLHS Christmas Fair
- Thursday 28th November – Annual OLHS War Memorial Mass
- Thursday 5th December – S5/6 Parents’ Evening
- Friday 6th December – start of the S4 Prelims
- Monday 9th and Tuesday 10th December – NLC Schools’ Music Groups Concert
- Wednesday 11th December – OLHS Christmas Concert
- Thursday 12th December – Senior Citizens’ Party
- Monday 16th December – S1 – 3 Ceilidh
- Tuesday 17th December – S4 – 6 Ceilidh
- Thursday 19th December – School closes at 2.30pm for Christmas break
- Monday 6th January – School reopens.