Welcome to the first blog of the 2018/19 school session. We are back a week now and it feels like we have never been away! The pupils have settled in well to the routine of school life again, particularly our new S1 pupils who are making a good first impression. We have been having assemblies and these have focused on the expectations we have of the pupils over the course of the year.
It was lovely to see some of the work that has taken place in the school over the holidays. This included the internal walls being painted, which has fairly brightened the place up, especially on the staircases. We have also had work done at the entrance to the school. Above out front doors, as well as our current school badge and motto, we also have the original Our Lady’s school badge along with the Greek motto. All of the work makes such a big difference as you approach the building and as you walk about the school.
NewTown Waste Solutions based in Motherwell had a competition recently to design the artwork for a new trailer they were purchasing. We were delighted that three of our pupils were successful in this design. Christine (S3) won the prize for the design concept and Erin & Megan for the slogans. Well done to the girls who were assisted in the process by Mr Weir, our PT Art & Design.
As you know our school app is available to purchase free of charge. The app will have the important calendar dates on it, links to school twitter accounts, blog, etc… We will also be using this eventually for communication instead of text messages. If you haven’t already done so, please download the app to keep up to date with all that is happening in the school.
I have listed some of the forthcoming events in the school below but would like to draw your attention to a couple. The school photographs will take place between Tuesday 4th and Thursday 6th September – once organised, pupils should keep an eye on the bulletin for the date their photo will take place. You will see that the Patronal Feast Day celebrations will take place on Friday 7th September. We will now be celebrating our Feast Day around the 8th September, the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It has been in March for a number of years but this did not allow for a proper school celebration due to the proximity of deadlines and exam preparation in S4/5/6.
• Monday 27th August – S4/5 Textile Visit to Dumfries House
• Tuesday 28th August – Annual Vocations Mass in Cathedral
• Thursday 30th August – Real Madrid Information Evening at 6pm
• Thursday 30th August – UCAS Information Evening
• Friday 31st August – Go4SET Industry Link Visit
• Monday 3rd September – Parent Council Meeting
• Tuesday 4th – Thursday 6th September – School Photographs
• Friday 7th September – Patronal Feast Day Celebrations
• Friday 14th September – S1 Author Visit (Alex Scarrow)
• Tuesday 18th September – Senior Awards Ceremony
• Friday 21st & Monday 24th September – School Holidays
• Saturday 22nd September – Real Madrid Trip leaves