PROMOTING POSTIVE RELATIONSHIPS
The school has a commitment to the use of positive behaviour management through Restorative Practice Approaches. The starting point for all work to resolve problems should be to enable those involved to understand the harm that has been done and to support them in restoring relationships.
In achieving positive relationships within St. Gerard’s the following systems are implemented:
- Our Rights Respecting School Agenda
- Our Behaviour Policy
- A whole school House System
- Peer Mediation facilities
- P.A.Th.S Programme
- Our School Ambassador Programme
- Individual class systems to promote positive behaviour
- Recognition of achievements through assemblies
- Certificates of achievements related to the Curriculum for Excellence
- Out of School Hours Learning opportunities
- Frequent positive verbal praise from all staff
- Roles of responsibilities for pupils within the school
- Clear communication with parents
Within a school certain standards must be maintained if it is to be a place of learning, trust and happiness. Consequently in St. Gerard’s, a very high standard of behaviour is expected at all times.
Children are expected to:
- respect all members of staff
- show kindness and tolerance towards their peers
- carry out the work assigned to them, and allow all others to do the same
- respect the school and the property of others
Praise and rewards are the most effective encouragement of effort and achievement and should be the starting point in classroom management within the school.
Sanctions may be necessary where a pupil’s actions are seen to be causing harm to others. The school employs a system of reflection sheets. The pupil causing harm is asked to complete a sheet that asks them to reflect on the incident. They may need support in completing the sheet. This sheet is then taken home to be completed and signed by the parents/carers. Comments are welcomed from home as communication is vital in affecting change in behaviours.
A copy of our school’s recently updated Behaviour Policy can be viewed by clicking the link below: