St. Gerard's Primary

Rights Respecting Schools

UNICEF UK’s Rights Respecting Schools programme helps the school to use the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) to help develop a clear set of values that are actively upheld by pupils. These rights are set out to help children develop to their full potential, knowing that all children have the same rights no matter what their background or where they live.

In total there are 42 rights, which are called articles. For example,

Article 12 – Every child has the right to say what they think in all matters affecting them, and to have their views taken seriously.

Article 28 – Every child has the right to an education.

Article 31 – Every child has the right to relax and play.

At St Gerard’s Primary we want everyone to understand the importance of rights are and what responsibilities they have. Our goal is that we respect our own rights and do our best to always respect other people’s rights.

Meet our Rights Steering Group

Children in our rights steering group decide ways of promoting rights within our school and community. They meet regularly to work on things such as creating homework activities and preparing new targets for the Children’s Champion.

rights group rights group2

Class Charters

At the beginning of each new school year each class will create a class charter. This is an agreement that highlights adult and child responsibilities, e.g. I will put up my hand to ask a question I will respect others’ personal space, I finish my work on time. It is an agreement between pupils and adults of how to have a positive, fair and conducive learning environment.

When we fulfil these responsibilities it helps to maintain a conducive learning environment where everyone feels safe, happy and respected.

Children’s Champion

Children’s Champion is a weekly reward title. It comes from an article focus with a joining responsibility e.g. Article 28 – I bring all my resources to school. Those who adhere to their class charter each term will be rewarded with an invitation to a special party, two pupils per class.