Cumbernauld Academy Italy Excursion 2018

For the attention of all pupils and parents involved in the S4/5 trip to Italy in June.

During the meeting on Friday 27th April a number of specific details related to the trip were given, namely;
• An updated itinerary for the trip.
• Deadlines for submitting passports, EHCs and spending money.
• Order form and colour chart for hoodies.

Please click on the following links to access the information.

Hoodie Order Form

Hoodie Colours

Italy info sheet 2018.A

If there are any questions at all, please contact Mr McCleary, Trip Leader.

Strathcarron Hospice Fundraising – Sponsoring Mr John Winton.

As you will be aware -Strathcarron Hospice is one of our key partners and we have workked tirelessly this session to support the hospice. The uncle of one of our S5 pupils, Lewis Bicket’s (5S2) Mr John Winton, is running the Stirling Marathon this weekend and then the Edinburgh Marathon in a few weeks time. This is in memory of Lewis’s father who passed away from cancer three years ago. As with many families going through such hard times, they received outstanding support and comfort from the hospice and like so many others in the school and this area are keen to give something back to the hospice to help to sustain the work that it does

The school is sponsoring John in these runs and it provides the opportunity to give to this worthy cause. We have attached his ‘just giving page’ to the website. It would mean so much to Lewis and a number of others in the school who are currently depending on the support of the hospice at this time. Opportunities will also be given for pupils to donate in a number of ways in the school.

Many thanks on advance for your support of this worthy cause.

Just Giving Link

https://www.strathcarronhospice.net/fundraisers/johnwintonstirlingedinburghpalmamarathons2018 

Greenfaulds High School and Cumbernauld Academy Consultation

Please find below access to the link to the proposal to re-zone part of Greenfaulds High School Catchment Area to form part of the Cumbernauld Academy Catchment Area

North Lanarkshire Council recently conducted a formal consultation on the above proposal to rezone part of Greenfaulds High School catchment area to form part of Cumbernauld Academy catchment area.

An outcome report on the consultation has been prepared which takes into account the responses received during the statutory consultation and input from Education Scotland.

The pdf icon consultation report [616kb] is available to download.

SQA Exams Monday April 30th – Monday June 4th

Study leave begins on Monday 30th of April (inclusive). This means that the last day of timetable will be Friday 27th of April. The new Sixth Year induction day will be Thursday 31st of May and other pupils will return to school on Monday June 4th when the new timetable will begin for the whole school.

In addition a timetable of study classes will be issued to senior pupils prior to the start of study leave.

Can we take this opportunity to wish all our pupils every success in their up-coming exams and commend them for all their hard work and effort over this past year.

ITALY TRIP 2018

Just a reminder of the dates discussed at the Parents’ meeting:

Due Monday 26th March :

Pupil name + passport number Mr Waddell

Consent form Miss McNally

Due 3rd June :

Passport Mr Waddell

European Health cards Miss Cunningham

Spending money Miss Lanagan
(150 euros + £20 for the return journey)

Cumbernauld Academy Creative Residency pupils on show at Summerlee Museum

Talented pupils from schools across North Lanarkshire are the focus of a new exhibition at Summerlee Museum in Coatbridge.

North Lanarkshire Council’s Creative Residency is a unique initiative open to S4 pupils with interests in 3-D design, creative writing, drawing and painting, music, printmaking, digital photography and drama.

The programme offers pupils the chance to take part in taster sessions before they apply for a week-long arts residency at Kilbowie Outdoor Centre near Oban.

Isabelle Boyd, Assistant Chief Executive, Education, Youth and Communities, said: “The experience offers those pupils taking pat the opportunity to explore new ways of expressing themselves and to grow their skills in a supportive but still challenging atmosphere.”

Sarah Devlin a pupil at Cumbernauld Academy said: “I really enjoyed having the opportunity to produce artwork outside and I was encouraged to go out of my comfort zone and try things I wouldn’t usually do. It was so good to work in a studio and on an easel because I felt like an actual artist. The tutors were nice and always had good suggestions on how to improve my work.

“Doing the Drawing & Painting course allowed me to meet people with similar interests to myself, and I actually made some friends. I became more confident with acrylics and I got a chance to use some oil bars that smelled funny.”

Katie Grieve a pupil at Cumbernauld Academy said: “The Residency activities within drama certainly took some getting used to. Being thrown into improvisation tasks on day one was a massive struggle for me as I had just only met the group. However, once the group got our hands on the script I feel like I settled in more and started to enjoy myself. I prefer script work to working in improvisation.

“The group of people I got to work with are all crazy talented and I felt so privileged to be there alongside all of them. The staff team were amazing and Ash and Lucy have really made me not doubt my ability to act, like I did before the Residency.”

“The experience was worth every up and down and worth all the blood, sweat and tears as it made me develop myself as an actor. The skills I learned will help me in my future acting roles and I am really thankful for the experience.”

Cancelation of tonight’s S2 into S3 Option Information Evening

Tonight’s planned S2 into S3 Parents Option Information evening presentation has been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions presently affecting Cumbernauld and surrounding areas.

As there is already an S2 Parents evening planned for next Thursday 15th March we are proposing to incorporate the option presentation into this event. Further details will follow in the next day.