A reminder to all S4 pupils who are sitting National 5 Practical Cookery that in addition to the written assessment scheduled for Friday 28th May 2021, they are also required to undertake a practical assessment which will be held outside of the general assessment diet.
These practical assessments will take place on:
Monday 7th June
Tuesday 8th June
Wednesday 9th June
Pupils will be informed by their Teacher, which day they should attend on before the general assessment diet begins on the 17th May.
As you know, this year the SQA exams have been cancelled and it will be the job of the staff in Cumbernauld Academy to assess the young people in terms of qualifications. This process is known as the Alternative Certification Model (ACM). Please click on the link below to access the full letter from Mr Cairns
If you are applying for a HNC, HND or University Degree this year then read this.
SAAS Student Funding Application Workshops
Previously at this time of year, the SAAS Funding Awareness Team would be coming into school to deliver their annual in-school application workshops. This year, they will be running these remotely, due to Covid-19 restrictions.
During these workshops, they will deliver our funding presentation and offer assistance to Scottish students to help them to complete their 2021/22 funding application. Students can sign up for one of these events here –
[ https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/147759660121 ]Scottish Student Funding Application Workshops (eventbrite.co.uk)
This applies to any pupils planning on studying at HNC, HND or Degree level at College or University this year. The attached flyer explains what students will need to bring with them to the workshop.
The National Parent Forum of Scotland is seeking the views of parents and carers of children from 3 to 18 on the main needs and improvements they would like to see over the next 5 years in Scottish Education. The following questions are designed to capture the current opinion of parents and carers on this subject from all over Scotland. Please click on the link below to access the survey
To mark International Women’s Day we asked our S1 pupils to design a poster or presentation on a woman who had inspired them. We received a number of entries which covered amazing women in history, including Anne Frank, Rosa Parks, Marie Curie and many more. Many young people considered some more contemporary inspirations. After some debate we have decide that the we could not pick just one winner, in fact we have gone for three winners and even a couple of runner-up prizes.
They winners were:
– Brook Williamson who created a poster on Human rights activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai who was shot in the head by the Taliban for demanding the right to education for girls. She went on to speak at the UN Convention on her 16th birthday about the importance of education.
– Niamh Murray with a poster and artwork on the talented actor and women’s rights activist Emma Watson, who, as well as her fame for her role in the Harry Potter films, has been appointed as a UN Goodwill Ambassador. She dedicates much her time now to the empowerment of young women.
– Holly McNair with a poster on the contemporary writer, who uses her writings to combat sexism in modern media Kohei Horikoshi. She uses her art and writings to empower the position of women in society and combat stereotypes.
The runners up were:
– Sophia McGinaly who created an informative presentation on Emmeline Pankhurst.
– Naomi Murphy who produced a presentation on the history of International Women’s Day.
Well done to all who took part. All prize winners were presented with some chocolate goodies and the three winners will also receive a copy of the award winning book on Malala Yousafzai as well as the chocolate. Prizes will be issued when the pupils are in school over the next few days.
Great to see members of S2 get involved in our S2 BGE Fun tasks today. We had returns for each of the tasks; creative, kitchen science, map creation and sustainability. House points earned and a small sample is here.
Great to see so many S1 pupils get involved in the BGE Fun Day today, and earns lots of points for their house.
Here is a small taster of the creativity on show today and more information to follow. There is still time to email in your returns.
Every point counts!
S2 will have their turn on Friday. The competition is beginning to heat up!