In English, you will write critical essays on your class literature. This could be a novel (for example; Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Handmaid’s Tale), a play (for example; A Streetcar Named Desire, A View From a Bridge, Macbeth ), a piece of non-fiction (for example; A Hanging, Marrakesh, The Pedestrian), a poem (for example; Shakespeare, Morgan, Duffy) or a film.
Whatever genre you are studying as a class, you will be expected to demonstrate the same skills. In your essay, you will answer a question on the text providing points to support your answer.
You will be assessed on:
- your relevance to task (essay question)
- demonstration of understanding the text (clearly and concisely)
- use of supporting evidence (quotations, references specifically from the text)
- your analysis of this evidence + ability to link it to the essay task
- your evaluation of the text/themes
- the structure (logical) of your essay
- your technical accuracy
This will be worth 20 marks