Accelerated reader helps teachers manage and track each pupil’s independent reading practice. We use AR in S1, S2 and S3 . During fortnightly library periods, pupils can pick a book a certain level and read it at their own pace. The library is organised by AR reading levels making it easier for pupils to find a book which suits them. This also allows students to challenge themselves by moving onto books in various levels. When finished reading, there is a short quiz on the computer. Results are recorded and shared with the teacher. Certificates are then rewarded when pupils complete various targets and levels.
Pupils will also write book-reports as part of their classroom work and homework. Use the Reading Record pages to keep a diary of you reading. You must read for at least one hour every week and aim to finish a book each month.
All pupils start at level 1 for certification, unless told differently by the teacher, and then work through the levels. The ‘book levels’ and ‘points value’ are on the spine of each book in the library.
- Independent Reader Read at least three books written at 1.2 level or above and accumulate 10 points.
- Super Reader. Read at least three books worth at least one point each and pass the quizzes. Accumulate 5 points.
- Advanced Reader. Read three books worth at least two points and pass the quizzes.
- Star Reader. Read three books written at a 5.0 reading level or higher, worth 5 or more points each, and pass the quizzes.
- Classic Reader. Read three books written at a 7.0 reading level, worth 10 or more points, and pass the quizzes.