Miss Lee’s SLC Group 1.6.20

Good morning everyone, how amazing is this weather?!? And it’s the first day of June. Summer is definitely here. I hope you have been able to go outside and enjoy playing in it. I have a few activities for you to try this week. Some of them will have you out in the sunshine and others are something you can do inside if you need a rest from the heat.

Bug Club – Everyone has some books assigned to them and I have been having a wee look to see how you are all getting on with your reading. Don’t forget to do the quizzes.

Spelling Challenge –  In the packs that you got delivered there is a “Look, Say, Cover, Write and Check” sheet for spelling. Put this into your overwriting pocket and use it to practice these common words that have the ‘ch’ sound in them.

• chip
  • chin
  • chair
  • church
  • chick
  • arch

Writing – “What I like about sunshine”

This week with all this beautiful weather you could try to write a few sentences about what you like when the sun is shining. I will give you some questions that you could answer to help you with this.

• What do you like to play outside in the sunshine?
  • When the sun is shining my favourite food or treat is?
  • When the sun is shining and I am outside I can see?
  • When I play outside in the sunshine I can smell?

The Story of 12 – Can you practice writing out all of the different adding sums using different numbers that add up to make a total of 12. You could even set yourself the challenge of timing yourself and seeing if you can quicker at doing it as the week goes on.

Addition Practice – Use your white board and number line from your home learning pack to try these sums. You should all be able to manage them.

33 + 11 = 16 + 22 = 44 + 35 = 27 + 12 =
51 + 24 = 25 + 32 = 60 + 11 = 10 + 10 =
17 + 31 = 72 + 8 = 32 +14 = 21 + 9 =

Outdoor Maths Challenge – I have two different challenges that you can try if you go out for a walk.

1. Use a bag to collect 10 different items while you are out for a walk. These could be leaves, flowers, grasses, pine cones etc. When you get home see if you can make different shapes using them or even if you can make a picture.
  2. On one of your walks try to find the following items. You could write them down on a piece of paper or your whiteboard and tick them off as you find them.
  • 2 different trees
  • 5 plant pots
  • 4 different kinds of minibeasts (ladybirds, bees, slugs, snails, spiders….)
  • 2 sets of traffic lights
  • 8 leaves
  • 1 mum with a buggy

Online

There’s plenty of number and shape activities you could try in Sumdog and Topmarks.

Outdoor Learning

In the second home learning pack that you got there are some John Muir Challenge cards. Pick one of the cards and have a go at completing it. There are some great ideas for activities in them.

Something Else To Try

This weeks recipe is for Cheese Scones. It’s really easy and a tasty snack or lunch for everyone. Hope you have fun making them.

Cheese Scones

You will need:- 230g Self Raising Flour

Pinch of salt

40g butter

60g grated cheese

1 egg

100ml of milk

1. Heat the oven to 220C.
  2. Put the flour and salt into a bowl.
  3. Cut the butter into small chunks and rub together with the flour to make a crumby mixture.
  4. Put some milk and the egg into the mixture and mix all the ingredients to make a dough.
  5. Roll out the dough and cut it into circles using a cutter.
  6. Put the scones onto a baking tray.
  7. Cook in the oven for 10minutes or until they are golden brown.
  8. Let them cool on a wire rack.

Have a good week and make sure you get outside to enjoy this lovely weather. Take care and I will be phoning to find out how you all are.  Miss Lee x