Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Our Weekly News – March 15th

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community.

We try our very best to upload a weekly post for each class but this is sometimes not always possible. Please have a read and a chat about what our classes have been up to this week.

Primary 1a 

What a fun week we’ve had! In class this week we’ve been working on the ‘qu’ sound. We’ve been writing about queens and making crowns. We’ve also completed some lovely imaginative writing about what we might find in the woods – “if you go down to the woods today…”! 

Lexi: We had to say something we’d find in the forest. I found gorillas! 
Murry: We made some bear hats for the picnic. 

In ICT we’ve been working hard at logging into the computer independently. We’ve also been making some posters about bears. 
Kaci: We’ve been practising logging in. That means we can do stuff on the computer. 
Riley: We’ve been finding pictures of bears and then when they’re getting printed out we can put them in our treehouse. 

Following on from our science workshop Ready, Teddy, Go! we’ve been thinking about different forces. We did some wonderful science activities. 
Skye: We were making parachutes for gravity. We made them out of tissues and string. We threw them up high and had bears flying down. 
Riley: Some worked and some didn’t.  
Ethan: We were throwing for the pushing force. We had to make them all fall down. 
Ollie: We had to push the cars. 
Miley: We were making rafts. They had to make the bears float.  

We’re really looking forward to our Teddy Bears Picnic on Friday – pictures to come next week. 

Reminders 
We’ll be going on our Bear Hunt trip to the Doach Woods on Thursday. Please make sure children are dressed for the outdoors – warm coat, wellie boots, scarf, hat etc. Bring a rucksack with snack. Thank you to all who have offered to come along with us! 

Primary 1b

We have been going ‘quackers’ with our ‘qu’ sound this week! We thought of lots of words: 
Willow: “squid” and “squirrel” 
Beth: “quavers 
William: “quick” 
Kai: “quack” 
William and Kai: “queen” 
Max: “squirrel” 

We had a fantastic Science afternoon on Thursday – linking back to previous learning with the Reddy, Teddy, Go workshop. 
William: “We did experiments.”
Kai: “We made boats.” 

We were looking at different forces.  
Photos of the Science afternoon taken by Flynn. 

Pictures of the Teddy Bears Picnic will follow next week. 

We say goodbye to Mr Rogerson this week. We have particularly enjoyed Mr Rogerson’s French lessons – bonjour! He is going back to University before starting a new placement next month. We have really enjoyed having Mr Rogerson in our class – we wish him all the best for the future. 

Reminders 

We’ll be going on our Bear Hunt trip to the Doach Woods on Thursday. Please make sure children are dressed for the outdoors – warm coat, wellie boots, scarf, hat etc. Bring a rucksack with snack. If anybody would like to volunteer to help, please let the class teacher know. 

Primary 2

We have been busy working on our Red Nose Day activities. We have been designing some super red noses and also thinking and talking about other children in the world who may have to live in tents because they have had to leave their house. We have also been thinking about what we would like to do when we are older and who is able to help us when we have a problem. We shared our ideas with our mums and dad and the rest of the school at Assembly this morning.

We asked everyone to come to school dressed in bright colours 🙂

Primary 2/3 

This week we have been busy getting ready for our assembly.
Alba – When we sing our red nose song it’s nice to sing.
Lily S – We’ve taken turns at selling red noses with P2.
Eamon – I am looking forward to judging the red noses.
Kyle – It’s hard to pick a winner though because there are lots of good ones. 

Also … 

Brooke P – We have been learning about the planets in our solar system.
George – I like to do maths because I like to do adding and subtracting 

Primary 3 

On Friday 8th March, we went on a trip to Threave Gardens. It was a rainy day but we had a fantastic time! When we got back, we reflected on the new skills and information we had gained. We each wrote a personal account of our trip. We used openers, connectives and adjectives and we tried to give our writing a logical order. 

Amber – ‘We went to Threave Gardens on Friday 8th March 2019 and it was pouring with rain. It was freezing.’ 
Abi ‘I liked learning abour deer, badgers, bats and owls. It was exciting’. 
Ewan ‘Firstly, we did something very exciting. We went minibeast hunting! I found 5 centipedes and 1 slug.’ 

We have some exciting class news! We have some tadpoles in our classroom! They have hatched from the frog spawn this week and we have been enjoying observing the changes every day!  They are helping us to learn about the life cycle of a frog and we are taking responsibility for keeping an eye on them daily. We have even been reading books about frogs and writing little notes and messages to the tadpoles using our imaginations. 

Reminders 
Extra tickets for the Spring Singalong are available at the School Office.  

Primary 3/4 

Jazmine – “I have really enjoyed practicing for our Spring Show”  

Fern – “I enjoyed using hot and cold colours to create a rabbit picture for our Spring Show” 

Cameron – “I liked learning about time. I was working on o’clock times” 

Caitlin – “I enjoyed learning about minibeasts”  

Anna – “I enjoyed maths. I was converting anologue times to digital times” 

Emma – “We used information about minibeasts to create a Venn Diagram and a flow chart” 

Kaidi – “I enjoyed Red Nose Day” 

Rhuben – “This week I have enjoyed learning about minibeasts. They are very interesting and I like bugs” 

Primary 4 

In ICT, P4 have been adding comments to the photographs from our Viking trip. Have a read through what we learned on our school website. The post is called ‘Viking Attack’. 

Our class vlogging team have been filming this week and talking to camera about their favourite math’s websites. Emily-Rose enjoyed using the video camera to record footage in the library. 

We have been revising tally marks and pictograms in math’s so that we can record and display information in different ways. We discussed open and closed questions. We found that questions that had several responses were best when surveying. Our class came 23rd in the Dumfries and Galloway math’s contest. Well done to Ria who answered 861 questions correctly and finished in 26th out of all the boys and girls playing from Dumfries and Galloway. 

Isla McF, Kianna, Emily-Rose, Amelia, Riley, Zak and Freya all achieved their accelerated reading target!  

Wider Achievement 

Holly moved up to Talent Development at gymnastics. 
Sam is going to his first Judo competition on Sunday, good luck Sam! 

Reminders 

Primary 4/5 

What a busy week in P4/5. 

McKenzie – In PE we have been learning lots of different gymnastic skills. 

Oliver R – We have been practising different jumps. 

Jesse-Leigh – My favourite jump is the star jump. 

Freya – I have enjoyed sharing my gymnastics skills with the rest of the class. I go to gymnastics club.  

Leo – We have been learning to create equivalent fractions.  

Darragh – I have been simplifying fractions. You have to divide.  

Callum – I’ve enjoyed the human fractions activity.  

Alannah – I love all the twists in our class book, Light on Dumyat.  

Shea – It’s so mysterious.  

Callum – It is so interesting and exciting.  

Wider Achievement 

Callum,Maxi & Shea have been awarded first aid badges at Cubs.
Callum and Shea have also now achieved their cooking badge. Well done boys.  

Oliver R – In tennis I learned to do a volley.  

Freya – At piano lessons I learned how to play G on my right hand.  

Lily – I learned a new move at ballet class. 

Primary 5 

We have been continuing to practice our ukuleles with Ruth. We have had a focus on Science this week where we have learned about different scientists as well as Apollo 11. We have been learning about fractions and time in numeracy. 

Wider Achievement 

Eilidh went on a Brownies sleepover. 
Anna and Yvie went to Glasgow and did an activity called meltdown, similar to wipeout and went bowling.  

Reminders 
Disco tickets are available for £1.50 each, remember to bring slips back.  

Primary 5/6

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news

Primary 6 

This week we have been investigating air resistance and light for our Space topic. 
Unfortunately the balloon air resistance experiment didn’t work too well so we’re going to try again next week with different shaped balloons. 
We looked at light being bent through prisms. 
Seren – “Light always travels in a straight line.” 
Carlie – “All colours in the rainbow are made up of the same colours but our eyes only see one of the colours at a time.” 
Tommy – “Rainbow colours always stay in the same order.” 

We were building on our knowledge of symmetry in maths. 
Logan – “We were finding out if there is more than one line of symmetry in a shape.” 

Ryan – In Gymnastics we have been making up group routines.

Feis Rois Scots Singing. 
The class have been continuing to enjoy and learn songs in both Scots and Gaelic. 

Have a listen to the lovely harmonies as they Touch the Sky. 

Have a listen to our video clip.

Well done to Fraser, Ryan, Tommy, Rhianna, Mylie, Seren and Jake who have already achieved their Accelerated Reading target for January – April. Three weeks left for everyone else to do the same – it would be great if we could have a full class of Target Achievers. 

Wider Achievement 
Tommy baked muffins at home and they looked delicious! 
Good luck to Lois, Megan and Ellie who are going to Ayr next week for their Ballet exam. 

Reminders 
More cardboard (e.g. cereal packets) would be great – thank you. 

Primary 6/7

We have had a busy week in P6/7. We have been learning about area and perimeter of compound shapes. We have also been learning to write persuasively.

In our topic we have been learning about the outbreak of WW2 and how they evacuated the children to the countryside. We have been writing radio broadcasts from the perspective of the Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain to warn of the impending evacuation of the children to the countryside to escape the bombing.

Primary 7 

This week we used the apparatus during gymnastics in P.E. We all did well. – Rory T.  

On Thursday we held a joke competition in class for Comic Relief. Lots of people took part but Chloe and Ollie’s jokes were voted the funniest. – Katherine.  

We have been making posters for the Quit Your Way smoking service’s competition. They are all really good! Isla L.  

We made artwork inspired by Peter Blake’s Dazzling Letters. We used our first initial and used lots of shapes and colours. – Charley.  

We took part in the Dumfries and Galloway Sumdog competition this week. I only had 392 questions to go out of 1000. – Chloe.  

I enjoyed doing lunchtime football with Ollie’s Dad this week. We do it every Tuesday. – Jayden.  

I am proud that I achieved my Accelerated Reading target this week. – Neve A 

I got 18/18 on my fractions test and I’m proud. – Ollie.  

On Sunday I am going to a gymnastics competition in Dumfries. – Sophie.  

In guitar, Isla and I have been working on the song ‘Eye of the Tiger’. I think its quite tricky. – Bob 

Well done to Katherine for winning the Dojo points this week and Sami for coming second.