Welcome to our Website

Please use the Links on the menu bar to browse our site.

Posts on class and school activities can be found in Latest News, Click on the Previous Posts menu to view older posts or please scroll further down this page.

Most of our Posts are set up to receive comments and we would like visitors to leave a comment if they wish. (All comments are moderated before publication).

Quick link to Family Learning Ideas – Click here!

Click on the school name on the Title Bar to return to this home page at any time.

Double click on photographs to open a slide show.

We hope you enjoy looking at our website.

ELC (Nursery)

P1-7

Twitter

Calendar

School Newsletter – January 2019

School Newsletter January 2019 – pdf (click to download)

School Newsletter – Online version 

Our Weekly News – January 11th

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the school Community

Please have a read and a chat about what some of our Classes have been up to this week.

Happy New year!

Castle Douglas Primary School will stage ‘Disney’s: Mary Poppins Jr’ in the Summer term. A reminder for all children’s permission slips to be handed in by Wednesday 16th Jan and that our first rehearsal will be on Monday 21st Jan at 3pm.
All help would be greatly appreciated and we are looking for a band of willing helpers to assist with costumes, artwork and staging! Please contact the school if you would like to be involved in any way and help us make our show supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Primary 3

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

It has been a busy first week back! 

We have started our new topic this week – The Enchanted Forest. We are reading The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton as a class novel and we are enjoying getting to know the main characters as they explore the forest behind their house.  

We will be transforming our role-play area into an Enchanted Forest and we have been deciding what we would like to find in there. We are looking forward to learning all about the different animals, trees and plants that we might find in this habitat.  

Wider Achievement 

Abi has been doing the Junior Park Run in Dumfries and she has completed 13 runs in total. She has a special wrist band to say well done for her super achievement! Well done Abi.  

Primary 5 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

This week we have been learning about Robert Burns and his life and work. We created interview questions and imagined how he would answer. In maths we have been revising multiplication in Samson and continuing our work on measurement with Mrs. Starkey.
In P. E. we have started working on our dodgeball skills.
We have decided on the poem we will be reciting for the Burns competition which is ‘A Dug, a Dug’ by Bill  Keys.  

Wider Achievement 

Well done Finlay who won Keep the Quote this week for always trying his best.  

Reminders 

Please can all P5s return their medical form and the £5 which is to put towards our orienteering trip on Wednesday 16th January.  

Primary 5/6 

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news
https://twitter.com/mr_coulthard 
https://twitter.com/castledps

Primary 6

Primary 6 have been finding out about Chinese New Year and here are some pictures of a few colourful dragons from their research tasks.

Primary 7 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

Ollie – I am proud of myself because I moved up reading group this week. 

Neve – In P.E we started tag rugby. We were learning how to dodge and how to pass the ball correctly. 

Neave – We began learning our Scots poem which is a section of Tam O’Shanter by Robert Burns. 

Daniel P – We talked about careers and the World of Work. We are going to be holding a Job Fair later this term.  

Connor – In maths we were learning about factors. A prime number is a number with only two factors. 

Speech and Language Advice for Families.

If you have a concern or query about your child’s speech and language development then please have a look at the posters which give details of drop-in sessions and contact information on who to approach for advice.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

The school has buzzing this week with classes making bug hotels, visiting the Church, class parties, lots of Christmas Craft activities going on and our Christmas Church Service this morning.

It’s Holiday time and we hope everyone in our school community has a happy holiday and very best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

P6 Christmas Maths Challenge

The Deputy First Minister, Mr Swinney, has set a Christmas Maths Challenge to all P6 pupils in Scotland. However you don’t need to be in P6 to have a go!

Good luck solving the puzzles!

Our Weekly News December 14th

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the school Community. 

Christmas Card Competition – well done to Lacey Davies in P5 who is a runner-up in our Westminster MP’s Christmas Card competition.  

Listen out to West Sound’s Breakfast Show next Tuesday and possibly Wednesday when recordings of some of our classes singing Christmas Songs will be played 🙂 

The school now also has a Twitter page and it is hoped to make regular tweets on class and school activities. Search for us using @castledps 

The Reading Ambassadors’ Booksale was a success and lots of people left excited to read their new book. 

Here are some photographs from our Infant Christmas Celebration earlier this week.

Families are invited to read and chat together about what we have been learning this week in some of our classes. 

Primary 1a 

We’ve had a very busy week in P1! We worked so hard towards the school show and hope you enjoyed our performances! Our favourite song was definitely Boogie Woogie Blitzen! 

During the week, we’ve also been taking part in other Christmas activities. We have been practising wrapping presents, writing some Christmas cards and making decorations. 

We’ve really been enjoying receiving Christmas stories from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer! Every day a new story arrives for us to read as a class. It’s making the wait for Christmas just a little bit easier. 

Reminders
Our Christmas Craft afternoon is on Tuesday at 2pm. If you are hoping to attend, please sent back the RSVP slip. 

Primary 1b 

What a busy and fun filled week we have had! I want to say a HUGE well done to all of the children for their hard work and fantastic singing and dancing at the Christmas Concert. I am proud of all of them – superstars!  

We have enjoyed making Christmas art in the classroom – making baubles with tissue paper and gems and Christmas trees with sticks.   

Conall: “I like playing football with Zane, Zach and Kai and Ziya and Floyd.” 

Zane: “I like playing football with Conall’s game and I like seeing Santa! I like playing with Elliot, Conall, Ziya, Zac.h” 

Kai: “I’m going to see Santa at the Fire Station.” 

Ellie: “I love playing outside, I love playing with Lego and I love playing football.”  

Charlotte: “I like playing with Mya and I like learning with Mrs Thompson.” 

Flynn: “I like playing with Eddie, Zane and Brodie and Archie.” 

Mya: “I like playing with Charlotte, Willow, Beth and Tiffany. I like playing in the builders yard.” 

Hannah is taking home Ben the Bear for the weekend – have fun Hannah and Ben! 

Reminders 

Tuesday 18th at 2pm – Christmas Craft afternoon. 

Primary 3 

We have had a very busy week in P3! The pupils were history detectives on our town walk and were learning about how Castle Douglas has changed over the years. We were developing our map reading skills and using signs and pictures to look for clues.  

Ewan  “I liked going to the Fire Station to see the old fire engine.” 

Fallon “I learned that the swimming pool used to be a drill house.” 

Kahlen “I learned that horses used to pull the postman’s cart.” 

Alexander “I liked standing where the railway track used to be.” 

Harrie “I learned that the path near my house used to be train tracks.” 

We have been learning how to ask good quality questions and how to use a question mark in our writing. This week we had a lovely visit to Hanover court to speak to the residents and develop our talking and listening skills.  We shared some of the lovely songs we have been learning in music with Mrs Teale.  

Lewis “I tried to make people happy by singing to them.” 

Rose “I made people smile because I asked them good questions.” 

Ferne “I gave someone a handshake and I answered and asked good questions.” 

Imogen “I was kind because I made the ladies happy.” 

Harriet “I had good manners.” 

Milly “I liked having conversations with the people and learning more about them.” 

In I.C.T we are currently making a short film about what we are thankful for at Christmas time which we hope to share with all our visitors next week.  

Reminders 

Monday 17th December P3 and P3/4 Christmas party, please bring clothes in a labelled bag.
Wednesday 19th December P3 and P3/4 Christmas sharing afternoon. 

Primary 3/4 

What a busy week we have had!  

We started off the week with a lovely visit to Hanover Court to visit the residents and spread some Christmas cheer. We shared some of our wonderful Christmas songs that we have been learning in music and developed our listening and talking skills by asking the residents some super questions.  

Alex – “At Hanover we sang lovely Christmas songs. They sent us a lovely thank you card” 

Caitlin – “We took some chocolates and biscuits with us to share with the residents”.  

Coby – “We had a lovely chat with the residents. We had to ask good questions”.  

Fern – “I handed out the chocolates”.  

Ruby – “My question was how do you like to spread Christmas cheer”.  

On Tuesday we visited the church to see our artwork and look at the Christmas trees that are displayed. We had a wonderful time and are working hard to learn our songs in preparation for the Christmas service on Friday. We are really looking forward to going back.  

“Emma – “I enjoyed unscrambling the nine letters we found to make a word”.  

Zak – “I liked looking at the lovely Christmas trees”.  

This week we also went on a walk around the town to see how Castle Douglas has changed. We were super detectives and used the clues around us to look for evidence of change.  

Ruby – “The swimming pool used to be the drill hall. The soldiers would train there”.  

Kaidi – “I learned that there is evidence of the past all around us like signs and street names.”  

Fern – “We can also find evidence of the past by looking at brickwork”.  

Coby – “We found two brick signs when we left the school. These were from the old school and the girls and boys used to line up there”.  

Lucca – “There used to be a train station where Tesco is. We looked at the bridge that the train would go under”.  

We have also been preparing a Thankfulness at Christmas film in ICT. We can’t wait to share it with you.  

Reminders 

Monday 17th December – P3 and P3/4 Christmas party, please bring clothes in a labelled bag. 

Wednesday 19th December – P3 and P3/4 Christmas craft afternoon.

Primary 4 

On Monday we visited the church to see our art work and the decorated Christmas trees on display. We found out about what happens in the church at Christmas time. We have been singing our Christmas songs and look forward to visiting the church again on Friday for the Christmas service. We brought our mischievous elves to school and wrote an adventure story about what they have been up to. We had to write about something that goes wrong but gets sorted out in the end. With P4/5 we have learned the military two step and the dashing white sergeant in P.E ahead of our Christmas party on Tuesday. We have made paper strip trees in art, measuring, cutting and weaving paper to create triangles.  

Thank you to all the P4 parent helpers who accompanied the children to the Church on Monday.  

Reminders 

Christmas Party – Tuesday 18th at 1:30pm. Please bring your party clothes to change into after lunch. 

Primary 4/5 

This week we have been busy selling the last few Christmas Chorus CDs. It has been a great success and the final amount raised is now over £600. Thanks again to all who purchased it.  

In maths we have continued to learn about fractions. We now know how to place fractions on a number line in the correct order.  

In PE we have learned the Military Two Step and the Dashing White Sergeant with P4/5, in preparation for our Christmas Party next week. 

We have also been writing letters to Santa Claus. We had to include an address, a greeting and a closing farewell.  

Shea – It was fun learning the Scottish dances in PE.  

Charlotte – I’m so happy we made so much profit with our CDs but I feel quite sad that it is all over. 

Murray – I have enjoyed dancing with pupils from other classes.  

Brooke – I know how to lay out a letter the correct way. 

Lhlyaijana – I remembered to include all the important information in my letter to Santa. 

Reminders 

Christmas Party – Tuesday 18th at 1.30pm. Please bring your party clothes to change into after lunch. 

Wednesday 19th – Visit to the Church to see the decorated Christmas trees – remember to bring an appropriate coat as we will be walking there.  

Primary 5 

This week we have looked at Christmas television adverts and how different companies use a variety of product placement, themes and key messages to influence their audience. We will design our own Christmas adverts next week with a focus on persuasive writing. We have continued our work on fractions with Miss Mackintosh and measurement with Mrs Starkey in numeracy. We had a visit from Mrs Mckechnie from the Scottish Government Building last Friday which was great fun and we took part in our own debate, created manifestos and voted for a political party. In P. E. we have been learning the Canadian Barn Dance. We have also written Christmas cards with meaningful compliments and grateful messages and have been making snowballs. Next week we will look at the results from our survey of what people think about living in Castle Douglas.

What children have learned from our topic this week:

Lacey “I learned that the Scottish Parliament is in Hollyrood in Edinburgh. We also learned that you have to be 16 to vote and there are five main political parties. My favourite part was when we had to think of things to say at the vote.”

Rebecca “I learned how to debate and how to vote. My favourite part was when we were doing the debate.”

Shannon “I learned how to debate in a nice way.”

Douglas “I learned about if something is devolved or resolved. My favourite part was when I smashed the hammer as presiding officer.”

Anna “I was the leader for the political party for Animal Welfare. We learned how to debate and how to vote. I loved being the leader.”

Ruby “I learned what political party logos look like.”

Jack “I learned how to vote and my favourite part was the car races which explained how the voting system works.”

Eilidh “There are five main parties for example labour and SNP. My favourite part was when we had parties and we voted for our favourite!”

Summer “I have learned that you have to do a cross when you vote.”

Skye “I loved voting.”

Erin “My favourite part was when we were in groups and we had to think what we would do if we had to make Scotland the best.”

Well done to Alper who has recently started at a boxing club.
Congratulations to Eilidh and Isla who have received new belts in karate. 

Reminders 
Our Christmas party is next week on Wednesday 19th December at 1.30pm. Children should dress as normal for school and take their party clothes with them in a bag. 

Primary 5/6 

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news 🙂  https://twitter.com/mr_coulthard 

Primary 6/7 

This week we have been learning about the importance of budgeting. We made our Christmas Card this week also to send to our loved ones! We also visited the church to see the Christmas Tree Festival.
Abbie W has moved up a level at swimming lessons and can now swim in the deep end. 

Primary 7  

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

Sam – We have learned how to do harder division sums this week. 

Deacon – I enjoyed helping with the Christmas lunch. 

Andrew D – I enjoyed learning about how many watts are in different appliances.  

Elise – I enjoyed helping with the infant concert on Wed afternoon and Wed evening. 

Neave – I enjoyed making cards for our trip to Bothwell house next week. 

Ryan K – At horse-riding I got a rosette as a gift for doing a good job. 

Ryan – I worked hard on my maths and got dojo points.  

Jayden – I really enjoyed dancing on Tuesday and can’t wait for our party on Monday.  

Bob – Isla L and I are learning how to play Christmas songs on the guitar. 

Well done to Neve and Morven for getting their Accelerated Reader target this week.  

Reminders 

P7 party – Monday 17th Dec 6.30pm – 8.30pm.  

Trip to Bothwell House – Tuesday 18th Dec 10am  

Visit to the church – Wednesday 19th Dec 1.30pm 

Our Weekly News – December 7th

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the school Community

Please have a read and a chat about what some of our Classes have been up to this week.

The Reading Ambassadors have been working hard to organise their Secondhand Book sale on Monday. The pictures show us sorting out all of the donated books.

The Homework Club and Global gang were delighted to receive a very generous cheque from the Co-op who raised £250 by holding a tombola and bake sale for our school funds. We plan to buy a portable cooker to use at Homework Club and in the classes. Thank you very much to all who helped to raise this fantastic amount.

Primary 1a 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

We’ve had lots of fun this week. Here’s some of the things we’ve enjoyed! 

Riley: I’ve liked playing with the junk. I made presents for Dad. 

Darla: I’ve been playing with Murry. 

Miss Potts: I’ve enjoyed listening to the children’s beautiful singing when they have practised. 

Luke: I’ve enjoyed playing with the microphones. 

Amelia: I like the post office in our class. Playing with the till. 

This week we visited the Church to look at the Christmas trees. We met the new Minister and enjoyed looking at all the different designs on the trees. Thank you for letting us come along! 

Jillie: I liked seeing the Christmas trees.  

Ethan: I had a pen. We had to find all the letters on the angels. 

We also wrote letters to Santa and posted them on our trip. We hope we get some replies! 

Charlie: We sent our Santa letters. We went and posted them in the box at the Church. 

Reminders 

Christmas Craft Afternoon – Tuesday 18th December at 2pm. Don’t forget to return reply slip if you haven’t already.  

Christmas Show – we look forward to performing for you on Wednesday! 

Primary 1b 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

We would like to start by saying a BIG thank you to Akie and Barbara who joined us last Friday for an afternoon of Lego! Akie showed us all the fantastic builds he had made; a replica of their house with a lego Ziya in his bedroom, a motorised vehicle and the Nativity scene. The children worked in groups with Akie to follow instructions and each build their own lego Rudolph to hang on their tree. We were also given some lego decorations to hang on our class tree. The children had a wonderful afternoon – completely engaged in building and constructing.   

Beth: “I liked making my Rudolph” 

Ziya: I liked my Mum and Dad coming in and I liked helping other children make their Rudolph” 

Zach: “I liked making a Captain America plane” 

Conall: “I liked building my Rudolph” 

Mya: “I liked buildng my reindeer” 

Kai: “I liked making Hulk” 

Zane: “I like playing with Zach and Joshua” 

Ellie: “I love playing with everything!” 

Charlotte: “I like learning things that I don’t know” 

William: “I liked being the teacher” 

Tiffany: “I liked practising the songs” 

The children have been working extremely hard practising for the Christmas show. They are ALL superstars!  

Elliot is taking Ben the bear home this weekend – have fun Elliot and Ben! 

Primary 2/3 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

We have been doing a lot of Art this week to decorate the hall for our Christmas concert. 

Zoe ‘ We made snowmen and snowflakes to stick up in the hall.’ 

Jack J ‘We have been practising our Christmas songs in the hall on the stage.’ 

Cooper ‘We made chains to decorate the class.’ 

We have recently started doing small activities at the start of each day in what we call our Morning Groups.
Darcie ‘I like when we get to go on the computers.’ 

In maths we have started to learn about symmetry.  

Alexander ‘We have an advent calendar each morning and we have been getting letters every day.’ 

We don’t know who the letters are from but there is a little door on the wall so we think that is how they are getting into our class! 

Reminders 

Monday 10th December – book sale in the afternoon, all books 20p. 

Wednesday 12th December – afternoon and evening performance of our songs. 

Thursday 13th December – walk to Castle Douglas Parish Church to visit the Christmas Tree Festival.  

Primary 3 

In Art and Design this week, we have been creating Christmas trees using different shades and strokes of oil pastels. They look fantastic in our classroom! 

We have been learning about vowels in Literacy this week. We enjoyed singing a song with the ‘Vowel Owls’ and we identified the vowels in different words with a partner.  

As part of our Santa Claus comes to Castle Douglas topic, Mr Tyson came to talk to us about the history of Castle Douglas in preparation for our walk next week. We are looking forward to developing our map skills and learning new facts.  

Reminders 

Monday 10th December – walk to Hanover Court to perform our Christmas songs. 

Monday 10th December – History of Castle Douglas town walk 

Tuesday 11th December – walk to Castle Douglas Parish Church to visit the Christmas Tree Festival.  

Wednesday 19th December – Christmas Craft Afternoon at 1.30pm.  

Primary 3/4 

This week we read The Kind Christmas tree. 

“We thought of adjectives to describe the Kind Christmas Tree”. – Emma 

“We created Christmas Tree pictures in the style of Paul Klee”. – Ruby  

“It is an abstract piece of art”. – Caitlin 

“We created different shades of colours by changing the pressure of the pencil”. – Fern 

“We looked at the colour wheel and we had to pick three complimentary colours”. Coby 

“We are working on symmetry in maths. We made a symmetrical picture of a gingerbread man” – Kaidi 

“We have to use a mirror to help us” – Tika  

“We have started learning Scottish Country Dancing in PE.” – Alex  

As part of our Santa Claus comes to Castle Douglas topic, Mr Tyson came to talk to us about the history of Castle Douglas in preparation for our walk next week. 

Reminders 

Thursday 13th December – History of Castle Douglas town walk.  

Monday 17th December – Christmas Party – Please bring party clothes in your bag.  

Wednesday 19th December – Christmas Craft Afternoon at 1.30pm.   

Primary 4 

In maths P4 are continuing to compare, describe and show number relationships, using appropriate vocabulary and the symbols for equals, not equal to, less than and greater than. We had fun applying our skills on the Promethean board.  

We have completed our hockey block in PE and enjoyed showing off all the skills that we have been developing when playing team games.  

We have started exploring Christmas as part of our community celebrations topic. The class sorted cards into wants and needs. We talked about why other people may not have everything they need to live. The class decided to plan a way to help a local charity meet the needs of people in the community at Christmas by making a Christmas card. To do this we used 2Publish software in ICT. The children had to create, edit and print a card.  

Wider Achievement 

Kianna has moved up to level SS5 at swimming. 

Rylan started cubs and made his promise. 

Reminders 

Please return your curriculum swimming letter. 

We are visiting the church on Monday 10th. 

Primary 4/5 

This week in P4/5 we shared The Christmas Chorus CD with the rest of the school at our assembly. We all worked very hard to learn our lines and share how we made our CD. We have nearly sold 200 and have made a fantastic profit of over £530. 

Shea – Lydia won the CD design competition, well done! 

Jesse-Leigh – I had fun performing at assembly, everyone thought we did well. 

Charlotte – I was nervous to begin with but became more confident as the assembly went on. 

Elle – I was confident at speaking out to an audience.  

Freya – I was nervous because I had to go first.  

Callum – I am proud at the amount of CDs we have sold. 

Shea – I am surprised but pleased at how much profit we have made so far.  

Wider Achievement 

Charlotte and Freya have been awarded a medal for their participation in football. They both attend Threave Under 9s Girls Team.  

Callum and Shea did their Promise at Cubs this week. They received some new badges too.  

Reminders 

Please remember to return swimming letters.  

Primary 5 

P5 have been continuing their work on fractions. We have also discussed Christmas adverts and how companies promote their products. In social studies we have looked at the timeline of how Scottish parliament came to be what it is today. This week we joined P5/6 to practise the ceilidh dances we have learned so far – Dashing White Seargent and Military Two Step. Next week we will learn Canadian Barn Dance. In art with Mrs. Starkey children have been working on painting and blending.  

Reminders 

Please use this link to access and take part in the survey we have created investigating what members of the community think about our local area – https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/K29FWJW  

Primary 5/6 

Primary 5/6 Twitter Page 

P5/6 would like to find out if Twitter would be a good way to share class news and activities rather than using the School’s Weekly News Facebook page. 

Families would need to download the Twitter App on to mobile devices and then follow P5/6 on Twitter. Search for our page: “P5/6 and Mr Coulthard @mr_coulthard” to see regular learning updates, achievements, photos and class reminders. Feel free to also follow the school’s twitter page at “Castle Douglas P Sch @castledps”. 

The class would like to try this for the next few weeks and then ask for your thoughts on what is the best way to share our learning with you. 

Thanks, 

Mr Coulthard 

Primary 6 

“We have been creating artwork using blending and different shades.” (Lacey) 

“In PE, we have been working on Scottish dancing. We have done the Military Two Step and the Dashing White Sergeant.” (Rhianna) 

“We have been learning about climate change and greenhouse gases. We looked at how to reduce our Carbon footprint.” (Tommy) 

“In Maths, we were learning about how to calculate area and perimeter.” (Molly) 

Primary 6/7 

This week we have been learning about budgeting. We have been learning to add, subtract, multiply and divide money calculations. 

Holly “We have been counting money and making the same amount in as many different ways as possible. We have also been seeing how much change we get back.” 

Melissa “ I have been learning about decimal fractions.” 

Miriam “In maths this week we have been learning about frequency tables.” 

As part of our topic we have been learning what to do in an earthquake.  

Reminders 

We are planning to visit the Church on Thursday 13th December at 1.30pm. We would really like a parent helper to come with us. If you would like to join us please let Mr Whan know!

Primary 7 

Sophie – We have been dancing in P.E in preparation for our Christmas party. I danced with Sam and Rory T. 

Sami – We made Rudolph Christmas cards. We got to use glitter and stars.  

Mia – We made party invites for all the staff in the school to invite them to our party. I invited Mrs Findlay. 

Jayden – In maths, with Mrs Campbell, we have been working on perimeter. For a square you measure one side and times it by four. 

Sam – I am proud of myself for being quick with my tables and I enjoyed doing long multiplication this week.  

Ollie – In RME we have been learning all about the Christmas story. I am looking forward to finding out about Christmas around the world.  

Well done to Neave, Deacon, Jayden and Hannah for achieving their Accelerated Reading target this week. 

Reminders 

Our Christmas party is Monday 17th December from 6.30pm – 8.30pm. Return slips for how the children will get home afterwards are to be handed in. 

We are visiting the church on Wednesday 19th December at 1.30pm. Any parent helpers are very welcome. Please let Mrs Milligan know if you can help. 

P6 Outdoor Education Videos

Click here to link to two short videos which were filmed by the Outdoor Education staff during our P6 November activities.

Our Weekly News – November 30th

School Car Park. 
Parents are asked, when dropping off in the car park, to please ensure that children go the shortest route to the nearest pavement area and not across the car parking area where cars are travelling. Thank you for your help with this. 

Home Learning Survey
Please click on this link to go to a short survey about the recent family maths home learning activities. 

Our November Pupils of the Month.

Class news  

Primary 1a
This week we’ve been finishing off our Julia Donalson topic by reading Stickman. We’ve been retelling stickman in the outdoors, measuring different sizes of Stickmen and making our own Tree Houses. We used our counting skills to find sticks with the same amount of branches as the people who live in our house. We have drawn the members of our family and attached them to our branches, making our Tree Houses. Photos taken by Darla.

Iris: I’ve liked drawing my pictures of my family and putting them on my family tree!

Murry: I liked putting stuff on my family tree.

We’ve learned lots of new sounds recently and have enjoyed learning the sound and how to form them in different ways. Jelly was definitely a favourite for ‘j’, we made lovely lollipops for ‘l’ and drew letters in foam for ‘f’. A huge thank you to all of our Stay for a Sound visitors – we loved welcoming you into our class!

Darla: I liked when the Mums and Dads came to do the sounds. We did the playdough letters.

Skye: I like the jumping game we play for sounds.

Miley: I like sounds too!

We’ve also been looking at shape and measure in Maths, and practising hard for our Christmas Concert! Look out for tickets in homework bags.

Wider Achievement

Well done to our P1a Pupil of the Month, Riley! Keep up the hard work!

Reminders

Our class Storytime session is on Wednesday 5th December at 2:30. All are welcome to join us for a lovely Christmas story.

Primary 1b 

Inspired by the ‘Stickman’ story we made a class tree house! Everybody drew a picture of themselves, wrote their name and all the pictures are hanging on the tree. We are looking forward to having a go at making more of our own stickmen – Ziya and Brodie worked with the branches and string to make their own.  

Our sounds this week were ‘l’ and ‘o’. We all designed our own fruit lollipops and we all decided that the letter ‘o’ was a nice one to write!  

In Maths we have been continuing to explore measure and compare objects; biggest and smallest.  

Zane: “I liked playing with the lego with Flynn, William, Conall and Angus. We built a spaceship and a helicopter and a house” 

Angus: I liked doing police game with Elliot, Ziya, Zane and William” 

Kai: “me, Angus, William, Conall, Eddie, Zach, Zane, Elliot, Ziya like playing police. Flynn and Angus too” 

Mya: “Willow and me like playing babies” 

Charlotte: “we’ve been writing our names” 

Ellie: ”I love playing with everybody” 

Elliot: “me, Ziya and Flynn were building lego” 

Conall has taken Ben home this weekend – have fun Conall and Ben! 

Reminders
Our class Storytime session is on Tuesday 4th December at 2:30. All are welcome to join us for a lovely Christmas story. 

Primary 2 

This week we have been learning about grid references and how to plot points to make a fish and a bird. 

Ethan says he has liked doing this because he is good at it. 

We have also been learning about the water cycle and how rain is made. We watched a power point which helped to explain what happens and then we completed work for the water cycle on the board. Well done P2. 

Wider Achievement
Well done to our P2 pupil of the month Miya-Lilly. 

Reminders 

Please could everyone remember to bring their party clothes for the concert by Thursday 6th of December. 

Primary 3 

This week, we have been exploring symmetry. We have used mirrors to find different lines of symmetry on objects around the classroom and we have been making symmetrical pictures using loose parts.  

Eli – ‘Butterflies are symmetrical’ 

Lewis – ‘We used mirrors to find the line of symmetry’. 

We have been busy making invitations for our Christmas Craft Afternoon – they will be coming home soon! 

Imogen – ‘An invitation tells you that something is happening and that you are invited to come’. 

Cara – ‘An invitation tells you the time, the date and the place’.

Primary 3/4 

Jake – “This week the maths we did was quite tricky but it was fun!” 

Connor – “I enjoyed researching Scottish castles in ICT. We have made a tourist information leaflet about lots of Scottish Castles.”  

Nikola – “I enjoyed dancing in PE” 

Kyle – “We watched a part of shrek and we had to talk about what we saw about castles and knights” 

Kaidi – “I enjoyed making the Rudolph cards for Carlingwark House” 

Ruby – “I liked making the art for the church. We had to blend colours from dark to lights to make the night sky”.  

Fern- “I have enjoyed cutting out the angels during art”.  

Primary 4/5 

This week we have been preparing for our assembly.  

Lily – It is hard to learn the words off by heart but I am trying. 

Freya – I nearly know my words now. 

Charlotte – You have to speak nice and clearly so the audience can hear what you are saying. 

Lhlyaijana – You need to speak out and look at your audience. 

Hugo – I am trying to be confident.  

In maths we have started learning about Fractions. 

Callum – Fractions have to be equal in size. 

Maxi – I’ve learned that the number on the top of a fraction is called the numerator. 

Alannah – The bottom number on a fraction is called the denominator.  

Lhlyaijana – The bottom number tells us how many parts the shape has been split up into.  

Skye – If the bottom number is a 5, then the shape has been split up into fifths.  

Reminders
Our class Assembly is on Wednesday 5th December at 1.30pm. Please can all mobile phones be switched off as they in interfere with the microphones. Thank you.  

Primary 5 

This week we have made Christmas angels for the church. We have continued work on fractions and have been finishing off our letters to local councillor Mr Iain Howie.  

P5s topic this term is ‘Local and National Government’. Pupils have worked in pairs to design a questionnaire about their local area using computers. They have voted on the best questionnaire as a basic introduction to voting. Pupils will use this questionnaire to survey pupils, staff, parents and members of the local community using survey monkey.  

Please complete the questionnaire using the link below which has also been sent out to the children through OneDrive. The survey is open to anyone who lives in Castle Douglas, both children and adults, and is completely anonymous. 

Responses must be in by Thursday next week.  
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/K29FWJW 

Next week, children will use the results of the survey to come up with their own political party manifestos. 

Wider Achievement 
Well done to everyone who took part in the wider achievement assembly.  

Reminders  

Please use this link to access our survey – responses must be in by Thursday next week. Anybody in Castle Douglas can take part. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/K29FWJW 

Primary 5/6 

P5/6 have started their new class novel. After a close vote, the pupils decided that they would like to hear “Awful Auntie”.  

We began our rainforest PowerPoint presentations this week which are already shaping up to be very impressive.  

In Science, P5/6 explored what objects make high pitches and what make low sounds. We found that drums, whistles and guitars all make different noises for very different reasons.  

Things became very tense as pupils braved “The Hotseat”. The pupils listened to a section of text, devised their own questions and tried to outsmart the contestants.  

Wider Achievement 

Well done to Duncan who has successfully completed his swimming training. 

Horse rider Rosie took home another trophy in her latest competition. 

Jazmin won her church dance competition. Well done! 

Primary 6 

“We have been comparing different types of air masses.” (Michalina) 

“The Arctic Maritime brings cold and wet weather to the UK.” (Logan) 

“The air masses with the word ‘continental’ in them bring dry weather and they travel across land.” (Mylie) 

“The air masses with the word ‘maritime’ in them bring wet weather conditions and travel over water.” (Ellie) 

“We were creating angels for the Church.” (Lacey) 

“On Wednesday, some of us were making Strawberry Cheesecake. It was tasty! (Teigan) 

Primary 7  

This week we have been very busy in class. In maths we have been working on tricky multiplication sums. We have been consolidating our addition and subtraction strategies in mental maths. With Mrs Campbell we have also been working on perimeter which has been fun.  

We have been working in groups for our energy topic this week. We have been researching facts and information to display on a poster to share with the class.  

We completed the second last session of our Magix music maker programme on Monday. We are all very excited to complete our songs, transfer them to CD and share them with everyone.  

Well done to Deacon and Ollie for achieving their Accelerated Reading targets. 

Well done to all the pupils who received their Bronze certificates this week too.  

Lois and Lotti’s Carlingwark Memories

P6 Carlingwark Adventure

On Thursday and Friday all P6 girls  went to Carlingwark.

Day 1

We did orienteering and mountain biking and  we  really enjoyed it.

Lotti thought “ the experience was great and it was a lot of fun”.
Lois thought “the experience was fun and a lot of challenges during the trip”.

The main challenge was climbing Criffel is a big hill near Dumfries and is 597 m high . We also got another challenge at Criffel it  was  the tunnel  with water. At the end of the tunnel there was water that would have went up to Lois’s collar bone and Lotti’s   waist.

This shows how steep our walk up the hill was.

We stopped for almost as long as we walked!

The Pipe Challenge.

On the summit 🙂

Teamwork in action!

Lotti’s fear was staying over night but my friends were there to help me. We shared dorms with each other and Ellie, Amy, Rosie and Jazmin.
On Thursday night we went on a night walk to Threave Gardens. On our walk we found the schools Geocache the one that we found was Swifts  so that meant it hasn’t been found but eagle, deer and hare has been found. We had a great time on the walk at night.

The mounting biking was tricky but fun.

We really enjoyed it and we would do it again. We would rate it a 10/10.