Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

Click on the Title to return to Home Page.

November 20, 2011
by Mr D Tyson
Comments Off on Welcome to our Website

Welcome to our Website

Click here to download a short aerial video of our school!

Please use the Links on the menu bar to browse our site.

Posts on class and school activities can be found in Latest News, Click on the Previous Posts menu to view older posts or please scroll further down this page.

Most of our Posts are set up to receive comments and we would like visitors to leave a comment if they wish. (All comments are moderated before publication).

Quick link to Family Learning Ideas – Click here!

Click on the school name on the Title Bar to return to this home page at any time.

Double click on photographs to open a slide show.

We hope you enjoy looking at our website.

ELC (Nursery)

P1-7

Twitter

Calendar

November 29, 2019
by Mr D Tyson
0 comments

Our Weekly News – November 29th

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community.

What we have been up to in school this week!

Primary 1a and 1b

This week we have been extra busy learning all our songs for our Christmas Show, along with Primary 2 and 2/3. The excitement is mounting!!!!

We have completed our Term two sounds and have now learned a,e,i,o and u, which will help us to make all the words we want to!! Lots of us are really beginning to hear how we can join our sounds together to make new words- we will keep on practising our blending at school and at home. P1b has been hearing the Christmas story in class and drawing pictures with Mrs Graham, to show our understanding.

This week our Julia Donaldson story was Stick Man, which is one of our favourites- some of us have been making our own Stick Men in class, and using the sticks we gathered for various activities. We have been discussing our families and did some special writing about them, trying hard to put our words together independently. We will be doing some outdoor activities about Stick Man in the Nature Garden next Friday (6th December)

This week we started to talk about adding and using our plus sign. We will be doing more about this in the next wee while. Many of us also showed how well we could order and write our numbers 0-10.

Wider Achievement
William has achieved his level 1 swimming and brought in his certificate to show the class. Well done!

Reminders

No CAPER for P1b on Thursday 5th due to our concert dress rehearsal.

Christmas Story time: Wednesday 4th at 2.30pm.

Looking ahead: Monday 9th December afternoon: walk and visit to see the beautiful Christmas displays in the Parish Church, including art work from every class. We will be asking for helpers to accompany this.

Primary 2

We have been learning about numbers to one hundred this week. We have taken part in lots of different activities.

Ellie – “I am good at finding the number after”.
Brodie – “I find it easy to add on one”.
Mya – “I am getting better at writing numbers”.

In Language we have been learning about the sh sound.
Charlotte – “I am good at reading words with sh in them”.

In Art this week we made a penguin.
Tiffany – “I liked painting the background”.
Conall – “I liked making the penguin with its funny eyes”.
Elliot – “I liked sticking it all together”.

Reminders
Please remember to bring in party clothes for our dress rehearsal for the children in school on Thursday.

Primary 2/3

This week we have been very busy learning our songs for the Christmas concert. We also started on art work for the hall.

Miley – “I liked when we stuck hay on our donkey pictures”.
Zofia – “I liked putting glitter on our pictures”.
Lola – “I liked sticking fluff on our penguin pictures”.
Skye – “I liked doing all our Christmas songs”.

This was our last week with Gayle from RelaxKids and we have really enjoyed these sessions. She left us each our own little Superhero to remind us we are amazing!

Olivia – “I enjoyed doing the massage when we put on a sprinkle of kindness”.
Kendyl – “I liked when we closed our eyes to get a superhero”.

Dorota – “I liked learning how to do my sums in mental maths”.
Eva – “I like the extra challenge on the spelling worksheets”.

Reminders

Primary 3/4

Brooke L. – “I like doing show rehearsals. I like the songs”.

Jack – “I like singing the songs from the show”.

Lewis – “I enjoyed making the art for the church”.

Rose – “I enjoyed doing the show rehearsals because I really like my part. I have lots of words”.

Lily – “I liked the costume for the show!”

Brooke P. – “I like playing mathopoly in maths”

Gregor – “I enjoyed writing facts about Ancient Egypt”.

Darcie – “I enjoyed getting my smoothie from P4/5 and doing art. We drank our smoothies and did our art work”.

Maisie – “I like writing facts in topic”.

Primary 4/5

We all enjoyed our second week of smoothie making. Emma thought it was fun. Fern thought that collecting people to come and get their smoothies was like being a teacher.  Ruby, Riley, Fern and Nikola liked collecting the Primary Ones to come and get their smoothies. They were walking along the corridor like little mice, nice and quietly.

Primary 5

We have had a busy week. We are enjoying our Scottish Government topic and have been discussing Scottish politics and thinking of skills and qualities needed to be an MSP. We have started a new block of dance. In Big Writing we are continuing to undertake research for report writing.

Callum – “I enjoyed making candles in art”.
Isla McC – “I enjoyed dance in PE”.
Emily Rose – “I enjoyed doing math when Mr Tyson was in our class”.
Isla McF – “I enjoyed drawing candles in art”.

Wider Achievement
Emily Rose is taking part in a Christmas show with the NYCOS choir (National Youth Choir of Scotland).
Freya L has learned to play Jingle bells on the guitar.
Alfie received his first badges at Cubs.

Our older classes are sharing their learning using Twitter feeds and share #cdpsdg7  hastag

Please have a look using the Twitter links. There is also a Twitter Feed bar on the right hand side of our School website menu.

Primary 5/6 –  https://twitter.com/56CDPS

Primary 6 –  https://twitter.com/mr_coulthard?lang=en-gb

Primary 6/7 – https://twitter.com/Mrs_Campbell50

Primary 7 –  https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan

Primary 6/7

P6/7 are now on Twitter so please follow us!  Mrs Campbell and P6/7   @Mrs_Campbell50

In Maths this week we have been starting the Money topic – next week we will be learning about how to budget our money.
In Literacy we have been continuing with Big Writing Reports and revising punctuation and how to use a Dictionary and Thesauraus.

We had a lovely time on Monday attending the P6 Feis Ros concert.
We have also been learning Jigs and Reels with Louise from Active Schools.
We also had fun with the CD High School Young Leaders in PE doing fitness games.

Our topic now is WW2 and the children have been interested in looking at the countries that were involved in the War and how it all began in 1939. Some pupils have also shared their family experiences of the War too.

We have all finished our Humble Donkey pictures for the Church as well as our Egg Box Christmas Tree!

In Science we are looking at our Body and learning about the Eye, and how our sight is an important sense.

In ICT we have been learning about Spreadsheets.

Amy – ‘’ Enjoyed PE with the High School leaders.’’
Charlotte – ‘’ I really enjoyed sketching the Donkey.’’
Fraser – ‘’ I enjoyed ICT.’’
Lotti – ‘’I loved making/decorating the Egg Boxes for our Christmas Tree – it was fun!’’
Logan – ‘’We are excited to be learning more about the Body in Science.’’
Curtis – ‘’ This morning I noticed how the heat energy in my hand melted the ice on my car – I learnt about this in Science.’’

Wider Achievement
Jazmin has enjoyed being in goal at football practice – she has not done this before – well done!

November 24, 2019
by Mr D Tyson
0 comments

Our Weekly News – November 22nd

We try our very best to upload a weekly post for each class but this is sometimes not always possible. Please have a read and a chat about what some of our classes have been up to this week. 

Primary 1a and 1b 

This week we have been learning the sounds ‘d’ and ‘g’. We have been working hard at forming our letters correctly and starting in the correct place. We’ve also been trying to blend our sounds together independently to make CVC words eg. s a t = sat. We’re all very excited about being able to write more independently! 

After reading Night Monkey, Day Monkey, we did some wonderful writing about what it’s like at nighttime. We thought about what we might see in the dark and tried to use our sounds to help us spell in our writing. 

Alfie: The moon!
Sophie: Owls!
Marcel: Stars! 

In maths, we’ve finally met Tia Ten! We’re all very happy to have now met all the Ten Town characters! We’re still working hard on writing our numbers. Our verbal addition is going well too, with us thinking of lots of ways to add within 10.

We were very happy to receive our Bookbug Book Bags on Monday! Three free books to read at home! We hope you are enjoying sharing them together.

Finally, we’ve been hard at work for the upcoming Christmas Concert. We’ve been practising our songs in class and with our music teacher Mrs Teale, and we’re sounding great! More details to come soon! 

Reminders
Please remember to hand in CAPER folders on Thursdays! 

Primary 2

This week we have been learning about tiling in Maths and we have made some super patterns. Hannah thought it was fun to be tiling and using different colours. 

In Language we have been working hard in groups to learn our key words from our reading books. Ayla was pleased to recognise al her words. We have also been working on making sentences make sense! We were using capital letters and full stops. 

In French we have been talking about different kinds of weather and we can say if it is nice or snowing in French. Well done everyone! 

In topic work we made a weather wheel to help us recognise the different kinds of weather there are. Our wheel worked well and there were some super illustrations. 

Reminders
Look out for letter about our class concerts which will be on Tuesday 10th December at 2pm and 6pm. 

Primary 2/3 

This week we were very excited to receive our Book Week Scotland Bags and we enjoyed reading the stories together. 

Miley – “I liked when the cat got angry and it was funny”.
Eva -” I liked when they all laughed at the names”.
Cara –” I liked when they all had funny names”.  

In art we painted donkeys for the local church using water colours.
Dorota – “I liked using watercolours. We used white and black to make grey”.
Ollie – “I enjoyed the painting”. 

This week we focused on kindness during our Relax Kids session and our massage was a kindness cake massage.
Skye – “I liked when we were putting our cake in the oven”.
Lola – “I liked when we did the team work with the ball”. 

Reminders
Look out for letter about our class concerts which will be on Tuesday 10th December at 2pm and 6pm. 

Primary 3 

This week, we have continued our Ancient Egypt topic. We worked as a team to complete a STEM challenge, using different materials to create a pyramid. We used sticks, marshmallows, spaghetti, straws and blu tac.
We have been learning about Ancient Egyptian fashion and we enjoyed adding traditional dress and accessories to photographs of ourselves. They are on display for all to see! 

Oona – ‘We made a pyramid with connecting shapes’.
Nell – ‘I used marshmallows and spaghetti!’
Rory – ‘I enjoyed making myself into an Ancient Egyptian’. 

To celebrate Book Week Scotland, we visited Castle Douglas Library on Friday to enjoy a story-telling session. We were excited to bring home our Book Week Scotland book bags! 

Reminders
Please can homework diaries and reading books be brought to school every day. 

Primary 4 

This week P4 have been learning about probability. We have been using the words impossible, unlikely, even chance, likely and certain.   

“It is likely there will be a film on TV tonight”- Lewis.
“It is unlikely an elephant will go into space”- Kahlen.
We have also been sorting events according to likelihood using a probability scale. 

We are making Christmas artwork for the church. This year’s theme is the donkey. We coloured and cut out our donkey and painted clothes pegs for the legs. We added black hoof details using pen. They are 3D. 

We have been researching as part of our report writing using the internet. We have been taking notes and learning new facts to include in our writing. 

Primary 4/5 

P4/5 made smoothies to raise money this week. We sold a lot of smoothies, more than we thought we would. Fern enjoyed collecting everybody from their classrooms. Riley enjoyed making the smoothies. Ben enjoyed handing out the smoothies although it was a very busy time. 

Wider Achievement 

Lucca went to an athletics event in Glasgow and he won a running race.
Alex has learned the breast stroke in swimming at Castle Douglas pool.
Rhuben beat his dad in a running race! 

Primary 5 

Olivier – “I enjoyed researching for my report in big writing”.
Freya G -” I enjoyed doing research about the Scottish Parliament”.
Dylan “I enjoyed writing up the bean planting experiment”.
Kianna – “I liked using oil pastels to create a donkey picture”.
Oliver – “I enjoyed research for report writing”.
Lewis – “I liked making the donkey pictures”.
Ben – “I enjoyed going on Sumdog”. 

Wider Achievement
Freya and Emily Rose are playing super 5 football matches. This is a big change for the team as they now have a goalkeeper.
In football Alfie and Shea played against a team last Sunday. They played three matches and won every time.

Reminders
PE kit for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Primary 5/6 

Please see the school Twitter feed for news about our Stirling Castle and Bannockburn Visit – Scroll Down the Tweets.

Primary 6 

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news  

https://twitter.com/mr_coulthard?lang=en-gb 

Primary 6/7 

We have had an informative and interesting time with our learning this week. 

In Maths we have been looking at symmetry, drawing mirror lines and reflecting 2D shape. We even ventured outside to draw around each other (see photos)
Mrs Carlyle has been continuing with chance and probability. 

In Literacy we have continued with our Christmas report, having chosen the country that we want to write about and completing research. We have also been focusing on Punctuation to work on our core writing skills. 

In our IDL topic we have moved onto WW2 and the children have been recalling their knowledge about the War and discussing their learning for this topic. We have been thinking about the role that Dumfries and Galloway played in the War too. 

In Science we are rounding off our Materials topic exploring dissolving. 

In French we have been practising our counting skills. 

After the excitement of Children in Need, the class helped put together shoeboxes for the Christmas Shoebox Appeal. 

We have been exploring pencil drawing with our Humble Donkey drawings that will be displayed in the Church nearer Christmas time. 

Mr Tyson has been showing us in IT how to put together a questionnaire on Microsoft Forms.
Amy – ‘’ I enjoyed learning about WW2 with Mr Tyson’’.
Jonathan – ‘’It was exciting and great fun doing cricket in PE!’’
Lotti – ‘’I loved doing the Air Raid drill!’’
Logan – ‘’ I liked creating my own quiz with Mr Tyson.’’
Cameron – ‘’ I enjoyed symmetry in Maths.’’ 

Wider Achievement
Amy has her Highland Dancing Exams next week.
Fraser did brilliantly with the Stewartry Sharks winning all their games at the Annan tournament. 

Primary 7 

Please see our Twitter feed  for our class news  

https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan    

November 15, 2019
by Mr D Tyson
0 comments

Thank you from P6/7

Thank you from Primary 6/7 to everyone who donated to Children in Need today and helped raise £434.29 – and Boots the Chemist has generously offered to match fund this taking the total to a fabulous £868.58.

As well as donations for Children in Need we have also filled several shoeboxes for the Christmas Shoebox Appeal – thank you so much.

The school is a collection point for shoeboxes and the community is welcome to hand any in by 2pm on Wednesday 20th.

November 15, 2019
by Mr D Tyson
0 comments

Our Weekly News – November 15th

Thank you to P6/7 for preparing our school Children in Need Activities. This included a very active assembly this morning!

Primary 1a and 1b 

This week our story was the Smartest Giant in Town and we have been talking about what being kind means,and looking at ways we can be kind towards each other, helping us to make good choices as we play and learn. This story has also helped us to practise recalling and sequencing information, as well as looking at rhyming words. 

Our new sounds were r and m this week. We made a road of rainbow ‘r’s to go with our houses from last week – you can see it in the corridor. 

We have been using all sorts of non-standard units to measure ourselves, discovered that we needed more beanbags than bats, because the bean bags were smaller and the bats were bigger. Miss Conacher was taller than Mrs Baird, and we needed to use more. We could count how many of each item we used. 

Nina Nine is a builder, and we enjoyed hearing about the houses she designs and builds in Ten Town. Nine is quite a lot to count but we are doing well!!!! 

Reminders
We have started CAPER this week. It will be every Thursday. Please only return books on Thursday for easiness. Thanks to all who are helping with this.  

Nature Garden- we do intend to use the Nature Garden each Friday, and the children all love going. It is, however, becoming colder, so they will need to wear layers, along with a hat, gloves, and warm socks if possible.  This will allow them the best possible experience. 

Open Evening is on Thursday 21st from 5.30-7pm. 

Book Fair Visits for both classes are on Tuesday 19th. Any children bringing money for a book will be taken by staff to choose one during the day.

Primary 2/3

Skye – I liked counting money and making it different ways.

Miley – I learned to count money up to different numbers.

Eva – I liked learning to make amounts with 6 coins.

Cara – I learned to make 16p with 3 coins.

We all enjoyed seeing Pudsey and loved the stickers he left for us. Thank you Pudsey!

Owen – I liked the pizza massage with Gayle.

Lola – I liked lying down at the end.

Zofia – I liked passing the secrets round the circle.

Ollie – I like the sleigh song.

Dorota – It has fun moves.

Kendyl – I like the elf song.

Primary 3/4 

Alexander – “I have enjoyed doing mathopoly. We were using our learning about money to play”  

Alba – “I enjoyed making our Pharoah headdresses. We made ourselves look like Ancient Egyptian Pharoahs”  

Rose -”I have liked making our posters. I made mine with Lily and Brooke P. We got to draw pictures, use the internet. Our topic was King Tut”.  

Darcie – “I enjoyed making the poster too. Our was about Ancient Egyptian cats which I enjoyed because I like cats. We made ours stand out by using black pen”.  

Brooke P. – “I enjoyed learning about Ancient Egypt. I liked making the headdress for the pharaoh. It was fun”.  

Jack – “Cleopatra got bitten by three asps”.  

Eamon – “I liked making our laws where we pretended we were a pharaoh. I also liked translating my name into hieroglyphics”.  

Gregor – “I liked writing my name in hieroglyphics”. 

Summer – “I have been learning about the ch sound. Chip has the ch sounds. Chocolate does too” 

Primary 4/5

Lucca – “This week we have been drawing donkeys to put up in the church at Christmas.”
Emma – “We had to smudge the oil pastels to blend in all the colours.”
Nikola – “We used different techniques to draw the donkey.”
Ruby – “We followed the steps off the board.”
Jake – “We folded the piece of paper into four squares.”
Blaine – “We then drew lines in each box that made up the shape of the donkey.”
Leah – “We drew the tuft of hair on top of the donkey and it looked like a crown.”

This week we have been lucky to have a smoothie bike in our classroom. This is a bike with a smoothie blender on the back.

Fraser – “Everybody had a go on the smoothie bike this week. We cycled and it made the blender start working.”
Riley – “The smoothies that we made were delicious.”
Lydia – “It took 4 or 5 people to blend one smoothie.”
Leigha – “I found it easy.”

Wider Achievement
Jake and Leo took part in a rugby tournament at the weekend. They won all of their matches. Well done!

Reminders
Thank you for donations for our smoothie bar so far. Any other donations of fresh, frozen or tinned fruit would be very much appreciated. These can be handed in on Wednesday 20th and Wednesday 27th November. Thank you.

Primary 5

We have had a busy week! We are starting our new topic “Local and National Government’. There are lots of aspects the class are keen to learn about.  

Callum – “I enjoyed seeing Pudsey”. 

Oliver – “I really enjoyed PE”. 

Shea – “ I enjoyed learning about politics and taking part PE”. 

Rylan – “ I found the maths interesting”. 

Keighla “I liked doing my maths”. 

Kianna – “ I enjoyed meeting Pudsey and watching the children in need assembly”. 

Kacie – “ I enjoyed symmetrical art”. 

Elle – “I enjoyed cutting and gluing in maths this week”. 

Murray – “I am getting better at hitting the ball to the back wall in cricket”. 

Wider Achievement  

Gregor achieved a red belt in Judo, Sam achieved an orange belt.
Alfie, Shea and Rylan competed in a football competition in Dumfries.
Isla McF took part in a tennis tournament in Dumfries.
Emily Rose and Freya G took part in a football festival in Kirkcudbright. Their team played six matches, winning two and drew in another.
Saffron is learning to play the piano and is improving all the time.
Well done everyone!! 

Reminders
PE kit on Tuesday and Friday next week.
Do we have any green fingered parents willing to help us with planting bulbs next week? If so please get in touch.

Primary 6

Primary 6/7

This week has gone in a flash with all the Children in Need preparations in full swing. We have had so much fun getting organized. 

Everybody in the class played their part in the assembly as well as helping create baking delights, practicing songs, creating Pudsey artwork and learning a lot about the wonderful work of Children in Need. The assembly went off brilliantly this morning with everyone enjoying themselves especially with our Fun Fitness sessions. The whole school and nursery and staff up on their feet moving! 

Thank you to everyone for all their help with donations for the Baking and Bring and Buy. We had a fantastic time. 

We thought about Remembrance Day on the 11th November and observed a minute silence in class. – well done to the boys and girls that took part in the Remembrance Service in Castle Douglas. 

In Big Writing we are carrying on with Report Writing -. We have also been working on our core writing skills looking at punctuation. 

In Maths we have been looking at points of the compass, angles and coordinates.  

Isla D – ‘’Making Pudseys for Children in Need!’’ 
Blair – ‘’ I have enjoyed learning the song A Million Dreams.’’
Cian – ‘’ I have completed comprehension cards and am getting really good at them!’’
Oscar – ‘’ I have learnt so much about the work of Children in Need.’’ 

Curtis – ‘’ I enjoyed learning some Spanish.’’ 

Primary 7

https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan

November 8, 2019
by Mr D Tyson
0 comments

Our Weekly News – November 8th

Primary 1a and 1b 

We’ve been having a wonderful time learning about 2d shape this week. We’ve been thinking about common 2d shapes, like squares and circles, as well as talking about more complex shapes like pentagon and hexagon. We’ve been exploring these shapes in different ways – making houses out of shapes to link with our ‘h’ sound, playing games and going on a ‘shape hunt’! 

Sophie: “That’s a big circle!” 
Sam: “Your glasses are kind of like circles, Miss Conacher!” 
Halle: “That’s a triangle at the top of the glasshouse.” 
Adam: “A circle at the top of the bin.” 
Kaelib: “Bike wheels are circle.” 

We loved learning our new sounds ‘e’ and ‘h’. We are all working so hard on remembering our sounds, writing and blending them – well done! Our homework sheets are, once again, looking amazing! Thank you! 

We also created some lovely pieces of artwork on fireworks. We used different materials – paint, chalk and glitter. They look great!  

Finally, we’ve loved getting to know more about our class bears, Ben and Ted. We can’t wait for them to start going home this weekend and hear all about their adventures on Monday! 

Primary 2/3 

Hannah – “I liked learning the Christmas songs, I like the one about the stars.”
Zofia – “I liked the penguin song.”
Cara – “I liked the sleigh song.”
Olivia – “I liked when we did the leaf rubbings, I liked the feeling.”
Miley – “I liked sticking the leaves down.”
Kendyl – “I liked helping do the rubbings because helping is nice.”
Skye – “I enjoyed our reading book when they find the little house.” 

We started to investigate materials this week by seeing what materials we could find around the school.
We found –
Ollie – lego is made of plastic.
Kaci – a pillow made of silk.
Floyd – a bean bag full of foam balls.
Leigha – a plastic white board.
Lola – a door made of wood and glass and metal. 

Primary 3 

P3 have been working very hard on their spelling this week. We used a range of different activities to practise our words. These include ink pads, fishing for our words, scrabble letters, playdoh spelling, back writing and rainbow writing. We all chose an activity and moved between them as we wished. I have included some photos to show you our hard work! 

This week, we received a letter from a Pharoah to ask us if we would like to learn about Ancient Egypt. He was worried that people were starting to forget all about them. We were all very excited by this idea and were eager to share what we already knew. We looked at a map to discover where Egypt is and discussed the meaning of ‘ancient’. We also looked at the River Nile and discussed why it was important in Ancient Egypt times. 

We have finished off our chance topic in maths this week. We have been giving great examples of events that are certain, likely, unlikely and impossible. 

P3 were very excited by the idea of bonfire night so we discussed the importance of staying safe to ensure that we could enjoy the night to the full whilst being safe. We have also been completing firework mindfulness colouring for our Jolly Job tasks.  

We enjoyed Outdoor Classroom Day on Thursday and we used natural materials to create some Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic symbols. We wrote our names and we created our own code word using the symbols for our friends to guess! 

Primary 3/4 

Eamon – “I enjoyed playing in the nature garden with our animals we made from natural materials”.
Brooke L. – “I enjoyed making things with natural materials.”
Ferne – “I enjoyed outdoor classroom day because I could play with my friends in the nature garden.”
Lewis – “I liked playing with my model and making my model a home”.
Darcie – “I enjoyed making my character. I made it with Rose and it’s really, really tall”.  

Alexander – “I’ve liked starting our new topic. Our topic this term is Ancient Egypt”.
Alba – “I enjoyed getting the letter from Pharoah. I tried hard to use the non-fiction books to find facts about Ancient Egypt”.
Rose – “I have learned that the river Nile is in Egypt.”
Darcie – “I learned that a long time ago people settled beside the river Nile”.
Gregor – “The river Nile is the longest river in the world”.  

Primary 4 

We learned about Remembrance Day and the reason why people wear poppies. Poppies are worn as a show of support for the Armed Forces community. We created poppy art using watercolours. We used the poem ‘In Flanders field’ as the background. This week we also created a firework picture, using our fingers to blend chalk. Have a look at our poppy art picture on this page. 

In maths we have been naming, identifying and classifying 2D shapes and 3D objects. We are learning to use mathematical language to describe their properties. 

On Thursday we went outside for outdoor classroom day. We spent time in the playground looking for shapes in nature. We also created a playdough character using natural objects like sticks, seeds and leaves. We then joined P5 in the nature garden and had a fantastic time building dens, making birds’ nests and splashing the muddy puddles! 

Wider Achievement
Amber took part in a dance show at the weekend. She performed a ballet routine and a tap routine.
Connor went to Stranraer for a football tournament. Connor scored a goal! He had a great time.
Cara, Amber, Kaidi, Kahlen and Nicole completed their ‘Express Yourself’ badge at Brownies. They performed a play and mimed to an audience.
Struan took part in a swimming competition. He came 2nd and 4th.  

Reminders
P.E kits required every Thursday and Friday this term. 

Primary 4/5 

Nikola – “This week we have been learning to write recipes for fruit smoothies.”
Fern – “I enjoyed watching the fruit going from solids to liquids in the blender.”
Blaine – “I don’t like bananas but when they were blended in the smoothie I enjoyed them.”
Lucca – “I liked the taste of the smoothie because it had strawberries and bananas in it and they are my favourite fruits.”
Ruby – “We were tasting the smoothies to decide on the best recipe for our smoothie sale.”
Leah – “This week we were writing letters to local businesses, kindly asking for donations of fruit for our stall.”
Riley – “In maths this week we have been learning to subtract three digit numbers.”
Emma – “I learned how to borrow from different columns in our subtraction.”
Lydia – “We have to remember to take away instead of add.”
Jake – “In our writing we were learning how to use non-fiction books to research and take notes for a report.”
Leigha – “We were learning how to write reports.”
Blaine – “We had to label the different parts of a report like the title and subheadings.” 

Wider Achievement
Lucca – “I learned how to use the iron safely on my own.”
Leigha – “In swimming I moved up a stage.”
Alex- “In swimming I learned how to swim on my back.” 

Primary 5 

Shea – “I enjoyed planting the broad bean seeds for the experiment, I also liked making a den outside”.
Kelvin – “I enjoyed making a den as part of a group”.
Freya L – “I think we will do well in the Sumdog competition that our class has entered”.
Oliver – “I have enjoyed the cricket matches in PE”.
Murray – “I enjoyed making a fort in outdoor learning”. 

Reminders
PE kit for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. 

Primary 5/6 

P5/6 would like to thank you all for coming to their assembly on Wednesday. Mrs Hart and Mrs Potts thought it was excellent.  

In maths, we have been looking at rounding numbers to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000.
“We have been rounding numbers” – Alper
“We have been looking at adding and subtraction” – Skye 

We have been supporting dyslexia awareness week.
“We have been looking at famous people that have dyslexia” – Skye
“Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe had dyslexia” – Lily
“Winston Churchill did too” – Maxi
“Prince Harry has it” – Harvey
“John JFK Kennedy” – Callum
“Leonardo da Vinci” – Alper
“Albert Einstein” – Brooke
“Donald Trump” – Lhlyaijana
“Eminem” – JL
“Dwayne Johnston” – Emma
“Justin Bieber” – Mckenzie 

We celebrated Outdoor Learning day by visiting the nature garden. We looked at different tent/structure formats then tried to work as a team to create our own using tarpaulin and rope. I have included some photos!
“We made dens in the nature garden” – Cody 

Wider Achievement
“I completed Brownies” – Skye
“I learned how to do the hand of god rescue in kayaking” – Harvey
“I learned how to do a backwards roll in swimming” – Lhlyaijana
“I built a trench in a field near my house” – Alper
“I learned how to cast a fishing rod” – Coll 

Reminders
If Stirling trip letters have not been returned then can they be brought back by Monday at the latest.  

Primary 6 

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news  https://twitter.com/mr_coulthard?lang=en-gb 

Primary 6/7 

This week we have had a wide variety of learning going on in the P6/7 class. 

In Maths we have enjoyed working with angles, including taking our Maths outside on Outdoor Learning day planning routes using the points of a compass. Some great collaborative learning going on learning to work as part of a team. 

With our Outdoor Learning we made Journey Sticks using lots of different materials from our surroundings. We learned that these were used as navigation tools by Aborigines in Australia and Native Americans too. We looked at the history of maps. We were also able to create some effective leaf rubbings. 

Mr Tyson came in and showed us photos from France and Belgium where the WW1 conflict had taken place. You can still see the trenches from the war today. It made us think about how many lives had been lost during this terrible war. We were also able to research family members through the Commonwealth War Graves website which was very interesting. 

In French with Miss Wright we looked at Halloween, and also enjoyed looking at the history of Bonfire Night. 

In Science we are carrying on with our materials topic looking at properties of substances and  in particular looking at soluble materials. 

We are working hard for Children in Need, putting together our Assembly presentations, fun fitness session, completing artwork, preparing fundraising activities and learning about how Children in Need helps so many. 

We have been learning songs in music to perform at the Assembly too. 

Lotti ‘’ I enjoyed learning about WW1 and found someone in my family who had fought in the War.’’
Amy ‘’ I have enjoyed doing research on Children in Need.’’
Fraser ‘’ I have liked PE, especially cricket!’’
Lexie ‘’ I have enjoyed putting together the Fun Fitness Session for our Assembly next week.’’ 

Wider Achievement
Logan & Jonathon – have joined Scouts and been invested – congratulations boys. 

Reminders
Children in Need Assembly Friday 15th November 

Primary 
7 

Please see our Twitter feed  for our class news  https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan    

November 1, 2019
by Mr D Tyson
0 comments

Our Weekly News – November 1st

  Please have a read and a chat about what some of our classes have been up to this week. 

School News – Welcome back to the new term. 

Spare Outdoor Clothing Request for all ages. As you will be aware outdoor learning is a valued part of our school curriculum. There are sometimes occasions when a child may forget a coat or wellies and it would be helpful to have stock in school. If you have any coats, overtrousers or wellingtons that your child has outgrown and no longer needed then we would be pleased to have them in school. 

Morning Wet Weather Arrangements. 

If the weather is very poor before school then pupils may enter the school using the main entrance from 8:45am. There will be a rain cloud symbol in both the School Office and Mr Tyson’s room windows to help remind pupils. To avoid congestion and keep our fire escape routes clear parents are asked to drop their child at the main door. Primary 7 pupils will be on hand to help younger pupils to their class if needed.   

Primary 1a and 1b 

We have settled back well to our new term and have been doing lots of Hallowe’en activities, including music, dancing, games, painting and carving pumpkins. We had a fabulous visit from Aiken Drum for a spooky story telling and singing session! 

This week we have learned a new sound – c which is special as it can also be written as k or ck- we are getting really good at finding words starting with our sounds,and are even beginning to blend our sounds together to make new words. P1b made cats by cutting and could all make and write the word cat beside our pictures! In the Nature Garden we will be making spells in our cauldrons! 

This week also saw us finding out about Seal Six and Sir Seven which has been very exciting. We enjoy finding out about all their adventures- Seal Six loves eating fish, and Sir Seven has seven teddies he takes to bed with him! When we use our fingers to count we can remember that 5 is always our whole hand and this will help us learn to count on to make our bigger numbers.  

Our topic this term is based around the stories of Julia Donaldson, so this week has been Room on the Broom, and we’ve done some great writing about who we would take on our brooms! We will be moving on to Everywhere Bear next week. Look out for some exciting homework!! 

Wider Achievement
Some of the children are very busy practising for their ballet show at the weekend! Good luck to them! 

Reminders
Nature Garden will continue every Friday for all P1 children. Please make sure they have suitable warm clothing under their waterproofs/ puddlesuits now the weather is colder. We have a number of sets of waterproof trousers to borrow in class. 

Please make sure any outstanding Lunch choice lists for this term are returned asap. 

Primary 2 

We have settled back into routine this week and we have been learning about shape and colour patterns. We are really working hard to make a pattern containing three colours. We made some super scarves with lots of lovely patterns.  

Our topic this term is the weather and we have been listening to Mrs Jolly’s Brolly. We were putting the story in order and then we wrote a sentence about each part. We drew some great pictures to match the story. Well done everyone.  

We also have been taking part in activities related to Halloween this week.  

Reminders
Outdoor Learning will continue this term. Please bring appropriate clothing. 

Primary 2/3 

We started to work with Gayle from Relax kids this week and will be doing this for the next 5 weeks.
Skye – I liked doing relax kids. I liked doing stretches and playing games.
Dorota – I liked doing the massage.
Benjamin – I liked doing the massage. I liked the warming hands one.
Miley – I liked the squeezing shoulders one.
Ollie – I liked the Hero and Villain game.
Olivia – I liked working with a partner.
Hannah – I liked the stretches and massage.  

We have been learning to read and plot grid references this week.
Cara – I made an alien head with grid references 

We also did some Halloween art.
Kendyl – I liked printing the spiderweb. I liked that mine came out as a shape. 

Reminders
Outdoor learning will continue every Friday for P2/3 children. Please make sure they have suitable clothing and footwear now the weather is colder and wetter! 

Primary 3  

We have had a busy first week back to school after our October holidays.
Our activities have had a ‘spooky’ twist this week to tie in with Halloween and on Thursday, the costumes were fantastic! 

Abbie – ‘I liked spooky adding!’
Emma – ‘The Halloween tray has a witches hat, orange cobwebs and eyeballs!’
We used Halloween pasta shapes to make our ‘spell’-ing words and we read the story of ‘Christopher Pumpkin’.
Caitlyn – ‘The pumpkin was nice instead of scary!’ 

In Art, we have been exploring different shades of colour and we used a variety of line styles and orange materials to create our pumpkins. 

In Maths, we have been exploring Probability and Chance. We have been discussing the likelihood of certain events occurring and using the language of probability to talk about our ideas.   

Primary 3/4 

Jack – “I liked playing with the marble run and dressing up in my costume for Halloween. I also liked writing about my spooky castle”.
Darcie – “I enjoyed learning about the Day of the Dead and creating the skull artwork. I also liked making my haunted house picture and writing a description about it”.
Brooke P. – “I liked making the Day of the Dead skulls because we used lots of bright colours”.
Rose – “I enjoyed seeing everyone’s different costumes yesterday and playing with the playdough. I also loved playing with my friends”.
Alba – “I liked getting a sticker after my flu vaccine”.
Geroge – “I liked learning about the Day of the Dead”.
Ferne – “I enjoyed doing the Day of the Dead artwork”.
Alexander – “I liked doing the haunted house pictures”.
Kyle – “I enjoyed dressing up yesterday”.
Rory – “I liked learning about column addition in maths”.  

Primary 4

Welcome back P4. This week we have been describing, plotting and using two figure grid references as well as using the words horizontal and vertical. We had fun using the compass points to help locate things on our maps.  

In art we made clay pumpkins for the pumpkin patch by modelling the clay into a ball. We then used clay tools to create lines and a stalk. Once the clay was dry, we painted them orange and added green and brown detailing for the stalk. We think they look very realistic! Check out our picture.  

In P.E we started hockey and have been learning how to hold the stick correctly and how to dribble the ball with control.

Wider Achievement
Anya, Kaidi, Cara, Amber, Nicole and Kahlen achieved their baking badge at Brownies on Tuesday. They baked spooky spider biscuits and cupcakes. They were very tasty! 

Reminders
This term P.E will be on Wednesday and Friday. Please remember your shoes and a full change of clothes. If you wish, your P.E kit can be left in school at the beginning of the week. 

Primary 4/5 

This week in P4/5 we have started our new topic called ‘Healthy Me’. We have been looking at food, nutrition and how we can make healthy choices by using food labels to help us. We have also decided to make and sell some healthy fruity snacks as part of a mini enterprise: 

Leah – I came up with the name for our business – ‘Super Fruity Snack Shack’. We learned what the features of a good persuasive poster are and then designed our own to advertise our business.  

In maths we have been learning about chance and probability. 

Nikola – I’ve enjoyed learning about the language of probability – impossible, unlikely, likely and certain. 

On Thursday we had a Halloween afternoon of fun. 
Lucca – I enjoyed learning about silhouettes in our spooky Halloween art. 

Primary 5 

Welcome back Primary 5! 

Our first week has flown by! We have been busy in class, In literacy we have written acrostic poems, in Maths we’ve been recapping on time tables, and have been solving estimating activities. 

Anna – “I enjoyed doing Halloween activities, I made a skull and a vampire cat”.
Lewis – “I enjoyed drawing a haunted house in art”.
Isla McF – “The Halloween mindfulness sheets were good fun”.
Murray – “I liked painting a haunted house”.
Callum – “In PE we were playing 3 bat cricket, I fam feeling more and more confident in my batting”.
Kianna – “I enjoyed playing toilet tig as a warm up game yesterday”. 

Wider Achievement
Isla McF competed in a tennis tournament in Annan last weekend. Isla and her brother Eamon played doubles, winning both of their matches! They were overall winners! Fantastic! 

Lexi and Kacie are taking part in a Ballet show over the next three nights at the Fullerton Theatre. They are performing tap, ballet and Jazz. Good luck girls!  

Anna has been very helpful whilst staying at her granny’s house, well done Anna!  

Holly travelled all the way to Perth to take part in a gymnastics competition. It was an exciting day, Holly was leading the way in some rounds and finished in 7th place. This is a great achievement, well done Holly! 

Primary 5/6

This week we launched more of our Save the Rainforest campaign. Pupils delivered posters and leaflets to a local business of their choice on how they could help to save the Rainforest. The pupils spoke to members of the local community on steps they could take in helping to save the rainforest and enjoyed developing their Talking and Listening skills.  

Alper “ I liked our walk as it made me better at speaking to people in the community and I liked that we were helping the Amazon Rainforest as well” 

Mckenzie S “ WFC Pet said I was a very confident speaker and I had lovely manners that made me feel good about myself” 

This week we have been learning all about deforestation and the reasons that people cut down the rainforest. We are looking forward to sharing all our learning with you at our assembly next Wednesday 6.11.19 at 9.30am.  

A massive thank you to all our parent helpers and local businesses’ who have supported our campaign so far, we raised £344 at our Movie night so thank you to everyone who attended. The Castle Douglas Rotary club made a very generous donation to our campaign taking our total up to £500.  

Reminders 
Outdoor natural materials homework for Monday 4.11.19
Class Assembly 9.30am Wednesday 6.11.19  

Primary 6 

Primary 6/7 

This week has whizzed by in a flash! All refreshed and ready for learning after our holidays.
In Maths we have made a start on Angles, Bearings and Transformation.  

In Writing we have been looking at Report writing. 

The class did a fantastic job presenting their posters talking about WW2 in particular the Battle of Britain. We have enjoyed learning about the experiences of fighter pilots in the war particularly about Grandpa in Grandpa’s Great Escape. We have also learnt about the importance of Remembrance and why the poppy is such an important symbol.  

We are finishing learning about States of Matter in Science and will be moving on to Body Systems shortly, this will include looking after our bodies. 

The cricket in PE this week has been very exciting with all children developing amazing skills bowling, batting and fielding. 

We are also working towards our Assembly for Children in Need and have been creating posters, creating artwork, enjoying singing and learning about the very important work Children in Need does.  

Rudy – ‘’ I have enjoyed working with angles in Maths.’’
Cameron – ‘’ I liked doing activities for Children in Need.’’
Jonathon – ‘’ I liked cricket in PE! It was good fun!’’
Kacey – ‘’ I liked writing scary stories for Hallowe’en.’’
Jazmin – ‘’ I enjoyed making the poppies for our Remembrance display.’’
Charlotte – ‘’ I enjoyed creating an acrostic poem for Hallowe’en.’’ 

Reminders
Remember PE kits on a Monday and Wednesday please. 

Primary 7  

https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan    

October 11, 2019
by Mr D Tyson
0 comments

Our Weekly News – October 11th

  School News  

A reminder that we go on holiday this afternoon and we return for our new term on Monday 28th October. 

Achievement Assembly We shared an Achievement Assembly today and a big thank you to the learners who shared their out of school achievements. We heard about Threave Rovers football, Stewartry Rugby Club, Fund-raising Fashion Show, School Triathlon, Go Wild Outdoor activities, Street Dance, Swimming and Lego Building – what a lot of different things our pupils get up to! 

Congratulations and well done to all the P3 to P7 pupils who have achieved their Accelerated Reading target for the term – thank you for this great effort. We also found out this week that Chloe, Oscar, Isla D, Jazmin, Curtis, Veronica and Rudy who entered a Scots Poetry competition when in P5’6 last year have had their poems published in a book called ‘Once Upon a Dream’ 😊 

We also shared some class photographs from this term introduced by our CDPS Newsreaders – Tommy and Abi. Excerpts from their news report can be viewed on today’s school website post – Achievement Assembly News Clips – click here for link.

Our Pupil Councillors had a very hard job today choosing the Bronze, Silver and Gold designs for this year’s House Points competition. Well done to Lucy, Ellie and Jessica whose designs were chosen.

Primary 2/3 

This week in art we were marbling using primary colours to create secondary colours. 

Kaci – I liked putting the paper in it.
Miley – I liked when we put the foam in the tray.
Leigha – I liked when it made pretty colours. 

We had a short visit from a barn owl and his owner.
Lots of the children liked the owl.
Eva – It had nice patterns on its feathers. 

In maths we have continued to work on counting and ordering numbers.
Dorota – I like doing numbers before and after to 100. 

Our group challenge this week was to work together to create a marble maze.
Benjamin – I liked solving the puzzle of how to get it through the maze.
Miley – I liked testing it because it was hard to get it through the corners.
Owen – I liked building it.
Skye – I liked making the mazes because it was tricky to put in the bits where you can’t go. 

Reminders
Please remember PE kits for the first day back as we have our hall time on Monday. 

Primary 3 

Last Friday, we went to Threave Castle with Mr Tyson as part of our ‘Our Town’ topic. We learned lots of new information about the history of the castle and some of the people who lived in it. We used our ‘History Detective’ skills to locate the different rooms and parts of the castle. We talked about what they would have looked like years ago and compared them to the rooms in our houses today.
Thank you very much to our helpers.  

Nell – ‘It was dark going up the spiral stairs. It was really fun. We saw lots of different rooms’.
Abbie – ‘Mr Tyson told us lots of stories’.
Noah -’We went across the river on a boat. I liked it’.
Fern – ‘The boat was my favourite part’.  

Happy Holidays!  

Primary 3/4 

Alba – “I loved going on our autumn walk. I liked looking at all the different leaves we could find in autumn. I collected lots of different colours of leaves”.
Darcie – “I enjoyed the autumn walk because we went to play at the park and me and Zane and Lily were kicking the leaves. It was fun”.
Brooke P. – “I enjoyed making a picture with all the different leaves and conkers I could find”.
Brooke L – “I liked playing at the park during our autumn walk”.
Rose – “I enjoyed going to the park because we got to collect lots of conkers. I got one big conker and one tiny one. I liked playing on the swing too”.
George – “I got 81 conkers on the autumn walk”.
Cooper – “I liked doing the autumn walk because we got to play at the park”.    

Taleah – “I liked painting”.  

Ferne – “I liked using google to find a chocolate recipe. I liked playing on Sumdog too”.  

Primary 4 

Please check out our P4 visitors video :0

Wider Achievement
Cara and Struan took part in the M&Co fashion show on Wednesday 1st of October to raise money for Castle Douglas Toddler Group at the community centre. The money raised will go towards redecorating and updating the toddler room. Well done. 

Primary 4/5 

Maths
Alex – This week we learned how to use a calculator to add and subtract.
Fern – We have been learning how to lay out our sums correctly in our jotter.
Jake – I started off by forgetting to carry, but now I can do it.  

Ben – In writing this week we were doing our assessment. I wrote a story about a flood in Castle Douglas.
Ruby – I wrote a story about a girl called Ruby. She met an elephant and they became friends.
Fraser – In writing setting I wrote a story about pirates. Two of the characters were trying to chase a ship that was owned by cursed pirates.
Zak K – My story was all about a scary haunted maze. 

Emma – We finished our class novel and then did an Accelerated Reading test on it. I got 10/10. 

Topic
Lydia – In our book the characters tried to visit the Queen.
Leo – At the end of the book, they found Ahmet’s mum and dad. Everyone was happy. 

Wider Achievement
Alex took part in a street dance performance at the weekend called Raise the Roof. He danced on stage in front of hundreds of people. Fab!
At the weekend, Ben went to a football tournament. He played three matches and won them all! Well done! 

Reminders 

Children are invited to dress up in their favourite costumes for a day of spooky fun, on Thursday 31st October. This is optional.
Happy Holidays 😊  

Primary 5 

We’ve had a hoot in P5 this week!
On Thursday morning we welcomed Margaret and her barn owl ‘Bonnie’ to our class. We learnt all about owls and had an interesting question and answer session. We all learnt something new including facts like owl feathers are not waterproof, they can hear 10x better than humans and that due to the shape of their feathers they are silent when they fly. Bonnie coped very well with the attention! The visit was a fitting very enjoyable finale to our ‘Living Things’ topic.  

We have been completing writing assessments, rounding to the nearest 100 and 10 in maths,  At the start of the week an exciting Sumdog maths challenge on rounding and place value has been undertaken, already some members of the class have succeeded in winning 250 coins!  

We are increasing confidence and skills in cricket. The sessions continue to be enjoyed by everyone.
During art we have been creating some wonderful pieces of pastel ‘owl face’ art.
We have also been working hard to achieve our accelerating reading targets. 

Keighla – “I learnt that owls can turn their heads 270 degrees”.
Sam – “Owls have predators like goshawks”.
Elle – “Owls have either yellow, orange or brown eyes”.
Amelia – “To find an owls gender you have to take their DNA”. 

Wider Achievement
Isla McF and Holly will be training to compete in a gymnastics competition in February. They will be part of team representing the school.
Holly has been selected to join the gymnastics talent development quad – Well done! 

Happy Holidays! 

Primary 5/6  

Here are some areas that we have been learning this week: 

“We have been talking about Fairtrade and the importance of it” – Skye and Charlotte
“We learned lots of different things about fairtrade” – Mckenzie S

“We finished our French alphabet sheets with Miss Wright” – Emma  

“We have been working on hundreds, tens and units with Miss Hart”
“We have been looking at and naming different shapes” – JL
“We were revising what we had already covered and looked at how to add easier” – Skye 

“We were learning that people were digging up the trees to find the gold and diamonds under the trees”- Charlotte and Skye
“We completed a place value autumn puzzle which we coloured in at the end” – Mckenzie C
“Our movie was a success and we raised £339 for the Amazon rainforest”- Emma
“We sold out on our tuckshop” – Harvey. 

Wider Achievement 

“We spoke at the whole school assembly” – Skye, Lily and Charlotte
“I landed my front handspring” – Emma
“I finished building, painting, carpeting and furnishing a shed in 3 days” – Harvey
“I can now do a front flip” – Harrison 

Primary 6 

Primary 6/7 

This week has passed in a flash! The P6/7 class have been very busy.   

We all finished our Big Writing assessments, and have enjoyed completing these, being creative with our narrative stories.
Everyone has been working very hard to try and complete their Accelerated Reading Targets. 

In Maths we have been moving on to decimals and talking about how decimals are used in the world around us.
The children have enjoyed the challenges on Sumdog.
We have also been looking at 2D shapes, drawing and learning about the properties of circles. 

In our Novel Study we have been thrilled with the Artwork we produced on Grandpa’s Great Escape, as well as completing writing too. 

PE has been so exciting, – Boys v Girls. Very tense, competitive and lots of fun! 

In ICT work has been completed on Internet Safety, as well as recording our wider Achievements on My World Of Work. 

Fraser – ‘’ I have had fun in PE playing cricket – Boys v Girls!’’
Keira – ‘’ We added our Achievements in My World of Work’’
Curtis – ‘’I enjoyed looking at Decimals in Maths!’’
Amy – ‘’ I have loved doing handwriting this week.’’ 

Wider Achievement
Jessica has made a pillow at Stitch Club – fantastic!
Jessica has been enjoying her role as Reading Ambassador by sorting out books in the Library – great work!
Jonathon has worked hard as Pupil Councillor. 

We have had a very busy, hardworking, enjoyable term – HAPPY HOLIDAYS! 

Primary 7 

October 4, 2019
by Mr D Tyson
0 comments

Our Weekly News – October 4th

Apples Galore! 

We have had a large crop of apples this year from the playground trees and have used as much as we will need for the school. Parents are welcome to collect any that you could use at home. 

Primary 1a and Primary 1b
It’s been another busy week in Primary 1! This week we have been working on consolidating our sounds – s a t p I n. We’re working really hard on this! We have been thinking of objects beginning with the sounds, and also starting to put sounds together to make simple words! 

Olivia: “Apple begins with a.”
Kaelib: “Snakes begins with s.”
Fraser: “P for pig.”
Daniel: “N. Nose.” 

We’ve been continuing to work on patterns. We’ve been making our own patterns and completing given patterns. This has been really fun!
Alfie: Purple, blue, yellow, purple, blue, yellow!”
Leland: “Mine was blue, blue, green, blue, blue, green.”
Sam: “It was yellow, blue, purple, yellow, blue, purple.” 

We can’t wait to see all the patterns we’re making for homework! We’ve been talking about the types of patterns you could make: 

Fraser: “Green, green, blue, green, green, blue. Out of sticks.”
Marcel: “I drew red, black, red, black.”
Chloe: “Knife, fork, knife, fork.” 

We’re loving our time at PE. We’re playing lots of game like Tig, What’s the Time, Mr Wolf? and number games. We’ve also been playing with the big parachute – lots of fun! 

We have been enjoying having reading books to read at home and school. Thank you for all your hard work at home! 

A big thank you to everyone who came along to our Storytime sessions! We loved reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Squirrels Who Squabbled with you. Don’t worry if you missed it! There will be more Storytime sessions throughout the year! 

Reminders
Pattern Homework Challenge due Thursday 10th – feel free to either send in a picture via the email address or send in your pattern on paper in the homework bag. Can’t wait to see them! 

Primary 2    

We have made apple crumble this week with the apples we picked in the school playground. 

“That was the nicest apple crumble I’ve ever tasted.”
Jacob – “The crumble was good. I liked the apple the apple the best.”
Ziya- “I liked making the crumble. I liked mixing in the butter.”
William- “I only liked the custard not the apple crumble.”
Zach – “ I liked the apple crumble and custard” 

Reminders
Please remember to wear PE clothes to school on a Monday and bring school clothes to change into. PE clothes will stay in school until Friday. Thank you. 

Primary 2/3 

We have been enjoying our yoga at PE and this week we went on a dragon adventure. 

We have been doing lots of team challenges this term and this week’s was a paper chain challenge. 

Finlay M – We’re making them thin to get them bigger and bigger.
Dorota – We’re working as a team.
Olivia – We’re taking turns.
Eva – It’s almost the size of me.
Lola – I think we’re going to make it as a tall as a house.
Ethan – Benjamin is quick at cutting he’s so excited.
Cara – Ours is super long.
Kaci – This is massive. 

When we finished we measured them against each other to find the longest. Abby, Jillie and Miley had made the longest snake. They were all very long but not as long as the anaconda we read about in one of our reading books this week. Everyone worked very well in their teams making sure they all had a job and took turns at each part. Well done! 

Reminders
PE kit for Monday please and outdoor clothes for Forest Friday. 

Primary 3 

We have had a really busy week learning lots of new information about Castle Douglas. 

On Wednesday, we became History Detectives on our town walk with My Tyson. We used our detective skills to look for clues about what Castle Douglas used to be like many years ago. We found it so interesting to compare what the town is like now to how it used to be. Thank you to our parent helpers.  

Evie – ‘The old railway bridge is still at Tesco. We stood beside it.’
Oona – ‘Burghfield means ‘Town Field’. People used to keep their animals there’.
Caitlyn – ‘There are huge big doorways that the carriages used to go through’.
Emma – ‘There’s a gap in the hedge for the old school’.
Morgan – ‘There used to be a steam train where Tesco is now’.
Arran -’The old school was near where Wilko is now’.
Zoe – ‘There was a cotton factory on Cotton Street. That’s why it is called that’.
Angus – ‘The old market was where the park on the Market Hill is now’. 

We also had a visit from PC Ellis, our community police officer, on Wednesday afternoon. We asked her questions about Castle Douglas and she told us about her role in the town and the different parts of her job. It was really interesting and we loved trying on parts of the uniform! 

Fern – ‘She told us about her job. She does lots of different things.’
Oliver – ‘PC Ellis told us about how many police officers we have in Castle Douglas and she showed us the handcuffs!’ 

Primary 3/4 

Cooper – “This week we have been working on our ball skills in PE. We have been passing the ball with our feet and dribbling whilst keeping good control of the ball”.

Jack – “I liked the creating a picture of autumn leaves. We were using line and patterns to create an effect”.

Darcie – “I learned that white chocolate isn’t actually a chocolate because it doesn’t have cocoa solids”.

Ferne – “I am excited because this afternoon we are doing some chocolate tasting”.

Alba – “I loved it when Gillian from Inhouse came into our classroom because we learned so much about chocolate. Inhouse make a chilli chocolate which sounds unusual”. 

Alexander – “I liked doing the autumn leaf pictures because we got to make different patterns”.  

Eamon – “In maths we have been learning to round to the nearest 100”.  

Taleah – “I liked writing about my favourite place”.  

Rose – “I’ve enjoyed it when Gillian came in because we got to taste and smell lots of different things and she brought in a cacao pod and cacao beans”.   

Maisie – “I liked doing the autumn leaves because I got to use my imagination”.  

Primary 4 

Please have a look at our African animal video posted on the school Facebook page earlier in the week. 

P4 took part in Sumdog’s Maths Week Scotland Contest. They finished in 669th with a score of 262. In total 3,394 classes took part from all over Scotland. 

Wider Achievement 

Coby, Kahlen and Connor took part in the Threave Rovers football festival in Dumfries. Kahlen won 4 games drew 2. Coby and Connor won 3 games and drew 2. 

Alexander, Struan and Rhys played their first contact rugby tournament for Stewartry Sharks this weekend in the P4/5 team. They really enjoyed it and played well as together as a team. 

Primary 4/5 

Maths
Lucca – We have been learning how to carry when completing chimney sums.  
Leo – You start at the right and add the units and then add the tens and so on. 
Nikola – When we carry we have to add one to the tens column or to the hundreds column.  

Adam P – This week in writing we learned about alliteration, metaphors and similes and how we can use them in our stories.  
Lydia – We made notes and a plan to help us with our story.  
Fern – In writing this week, Mr Tyson made up a story and we had to write an ending for it. Everyone had different endings.  
Emma – I met my target in accelerated reading this week. 

Autumn Art 
Fern – I enjoyed making our autumn leaves because I liked thinking of new patterns. 
Emma – We used one colour of pen to make different line patterns.  
Ruby – All our leaves turned out a little bit different. 
Nikola – We learned how to draw a leaf with veins and a stalk. 

Wider Achievements  
Max swam 12 lengths of the swimming pool, well done! 
Lucca has also been trying hard with his swimming. He can swim 72 lengths in one session.  

Primary 5 

Primary 5 have had another busy week. We have been presenting our ‘Living Things’ PowerPoint presentations to the class. These have been very informative, and we have been a quality audience, displaying good listening skills and asking some very good questions. 

In maths we have been continuing with place value.  

We have a weekly News round quiz which is helping us to improve our note taking skills and the we are getting much better at successfully answering challenging questions! 

Isla McC – “I am getting better at hitting the ball in cricket”.
Alannah – “I enjoyed doing fractions”.
Lexi – “I enjoyed listening to the Power Point presentations and learning new facts”. 

Wider Achievement – Alfie, Dylan and Shea played a football tournament against team in Dumfries.  They won two games and drew in one.
Freya G played in a football festival in Dumfries. It was lots of fun.  

Primary 5/6 

We have been continuing our learning on the rainforest this week. We have also been learning about Fair Trade and exploring which countries we get our food from. In preparation for our assembly, we have received our words that we need to practise. We are getting very good at our rainforest songs in music. Here is some of the learning that we enjoyed this week.  

Topic
“We made tribal masks out of bottles” – Harvey.
“We looked at pictures of different rainforest tribes to help with our art” – Mckenzie C.
“I have learned about the Mayans in the rainforest” – Harrison.
“We have created posters and fact files about all the ways that we can save the rainforest”- Emma.
“I was interested by the routines completed by tribes” – Kerys.
“We discussed the importance of biodiversity and realised without biodiversity we wouldn’t be thriving” – Mckenzie. 

WritinSets – narrative
“We are planning for our piece of writing” – Skye.
“We are starting writing our narrative” – Emma.
“We have been learning about the importance of wow words to make our story more interesting” – Skye. 

Maths – Place Value and Shape
“I have been learning to work with decimals in maths” – Lily.
“we have been working with hundreds, tens and units” – Jesse-Leigh.
“we have been working with 2D and 3D shapes” – Chloe. 

Wider Achievement
“I achieved ‘one of the best in the world’ on one of my games” – Mckenzie.
“Callum, Alexander and I finished our recycling badge at cubs” – Maxi. 

Reminders
Monday 7th – We are going on our class walk to deliver our posters to local businesses.
Monday 7th – Movie night. Tickets are still on sale. 

Primary 6 

Primary 6/7 

This week has been another busy one! We have had a very productive week with everyone in the class contributing and getting involved in our Learning.  

In Maths we have been consolidating multiplication and division and are ready to move onto decimal fractions next week. In our 2D and 3D shape topic we have enjoyed building 3D shapes, sharing what we know and drawing nets to help our understanding.  

In PE we have loved Kwik Cricket with an exciting game on Tuesday, lots of fantastic batting and ball skills and we have also done Volleyball.
Logan loved Volleyball, ‘’We did volleyball games and cricket in PE, it was really fun!’’ 

In ICT we have learned about keeping safe online with Mr Tyson.
Amy and Isla D – ‘’ We loved developing our own websites in ICT with Mr Tyson.’’
Jazmin enjoyed learning about Internet Safety as ‘’it helps to keep us safe.’’ 

In HWB we have learnt about positive relationships and creating a Compassionate Classroom. 

We have enjoyed reading Grandpa’s Great Escape, researching and making posters about Spitfires and creating wonderful Artwork about the story. 

We had a fantastic trip to the Library and had a very informative talk from the Librarian.
Kacey – ‘’ We went to the Library and it was lots of fun!’’ 

We are carrying on with Big Writing too.
Lotti – ‘’ I liked Big Writing because I like making up my own scary stories!’’ 

Primary 7 

https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan    

September 27, 2019
by Mr D Tyson
0 comments

Our Weekly News – September 27th

  School News : 
 Rag Bag Collection – Please bring all bags of wearable clothing, shoes, handbags and belts to school on the morning of Tuesday 1st October. Thank you. 

School App – a reminder that you can download the School App from both Apple and Android platforms and filter messages to receive whole school and individual class messages too. Search for School App for Parents. 

Sumdog – pupils from P3 have a ‘Sumdog’ login – www.sumdog.com and can also log in at home to practise and have fun at home with numeracy and maths activities. 

Class News : 

Primary 1a and 1b 

This week we learned our sixth sound ‘n’. To help with this we used our Smelly Station where we were able to identify and discuss a variety of different smells using our NOSE. We then made bar graphs to see which were our favourite and least favourite smells.  

Lewis: I like the sweets. None of the others are nice at all.
Finlay: salty crisps. You know the ones.
Anna B: that is DISGUSTING!
Maisie: I think you maybe get that in soup!
Ayla: Its like chicken feed!
Emily: That last one is so bad, just so bad-its awful. I think I need to wash my nose out!!
Miss Potts: boot polish! 

Photos taken by P1a- Halle, Ellie, Alfie and Oscar. 

We now know 6 sounds and are beginning to put them together to make some words!
We made some great patterns in the nature garden and have learned that a pattern is when something repeats again and again. 

Most of us now know our key words really well and are almost ready to get some reading books with words in them. It’s really exciting. We’ve also done our very first writing challenge and made a great job of it!  

By using a lot of different materials we’ve also been learning about the different ways we can make up 2, 3, 4 and 5 and that these are called sums. We can make ourselves into different sizes of groups really quickly now! 

This week we have also started to go independently into the playground at playtime and lunchtime and to make our way back to class afterwards. We know the rules to keep us safe. 

Reminders
Storytime on Tuesday 1st October at 2.30pm. 

Primary 2 

This week we were learning about flat shapes. We found out that
Tiffany: A circle has one side.
Zach: A square has four sides.
Joshua: A squares sides are all the same.
Darla : A rectangle has different sides.
We also had to decorate a pizza using different shapes.
Eryithsyai : I liked colouring in the different shapes.
Beth : I liked colouring in the pizza sauce. 

In Art we made a Mr Potato Head to help us remember the five senses
William : We had to stick everything and then we said what the senses were. It was fun.
Ayla : We got to spell the senses words to help our spelling. 

Primary 2/3  

We enjoyed our first forest Friday last week in the lovely sunshine.
Floyd, Ollie, Ethan and Owen all enjoyed helping dig the pond with Eddie.
Kaci – We played fairies and climbed the trees.
Hannah – I liked when me and Lexi played in the nature garden.
Charlie – I liked making the pond with Brodie. 

Eva – I like when the Circles were counting over 100.
Leigha – I liked getting a pet fox in Sumdog
Dorota – I got a pet rabbit from my treasure (in Sumdog)
Cara – There are loads of games to play on Sumdog 

Finlay – I like reading my books with my group.
Olivia – We heard someone play a saxophone at music, it was good. 

Reminders
Please bring in PE kits on a Monday as we have our hall time on a Monday and Tuesday morning. 

Primary  3 

This week, we have been continuing to explore different ways to learn our weekly spelling words. Have a look at the photographs to see what we have been up to! 

In preparation for our visit from PC Ellis, we have been developing our questioning skills. We have been thinking about what we would like to find out and exploring what, why, who, when and how questions. We look forward to finding out more about her role in Castle Douglas next week.  

Mr Tyson visited our class this week to share some of the history of Castle Douglas and what it used to be like before we were born. We learned lots of new facts and we are looking forward to seeing the places we discussed and learning more on our walk next week. 

As part of the ‘CD Rocks’ craze in the community at the moment, we have painted our own rocks to hide during our walk next week. As we are learning about the town and how we can contribute, we thought it would be a kind gesture to hide some rocks for other children in the community to find. Good luck!  

Reminders
Town Walk  – Wednesday
Threave Trip – Friday

Primary 3/4

Darcie – “I had so much fun at the disco this week.” 

Ferne – “When I was at the disco I had so many sweets!” 

Gregor – “I enjoyed doing art. We made a picture of autumn leaves using a wax resist techniques” 

Rose – “I have enjoyed making the leaves in art and playing with the money during maths” 

Brooke L. – “I enjoyed making a poster to advertise the chocolate bar I designed” 

Brooke P. – “We have been learning about grid references in maths. I found it a bit tricky to begin with but then I got really good”. 

Alba – “I enjoyed making a rap up about my chocolate bar. We had to make our beat”  

Jack – “I liked making the poster for the chocolate bar and making my rap song”.  

Eamon – “In Sumdog I only need one more skill until I get a new pet”.  

Primary 4

Please have a look at our  P4 Forces video which shares what we have been exploring and learning in our science activities.

Reminders

P.E kits every Wednesday and Thursday. You are more than welcome to bring your P.E kit in at the beginning of the week to leave in school until it is needed.

Primary 4/5

Fern – “In maths we have been learning how to round numbers to the nearest 100. At first, I thought it was tricky, but now I understand.”
Emma – “I have enjoyed the rounding games this week.”
Alex – “I have been learning how to round to the nearest 1000. We have also been rounding decimal fractions to the nearest whole number”

Jake – “In our writing groups this week we were thinking about adding in good adjectives to make our stories more interesting to read.”
Devlin – “We have been learning how to write good endings to stories.”

Nikola – “We have been talking about people who need some extra help to have their needs met. We made some braille, which helps people who can’t see, read. We also learned how to use sign language to sign our own name.”
Leah – “We thought about what we would pack in a bag if we had to leave our home quickly, like Ahmet, the refugee in our class novel.”

Primary 5

Isla McC – ‘I liked Samson Maths’.  

Kacie – ‘I enjoyed preparing the power point presentation’. 

Dylan – I enjoyed playing ‘Three Bat’ cricket. I am getting better at hitting the ball’. 

Lexi, Alfie and Ria also enjoyed learning new skills and rule in cricket.  

Isla McF – ‘I liked doing the power point presentation’. 

Ollie- ‘I liked the class place value game.’ 

Emily Rose enjoyed working in a team to do the power points. Callum liked maths this week. 

Wider Achievement
Freya L has managed to complete ‘Old McDonald ‘on the guitar. Elle, Becky and Kianna are enjoying stitch club on a Wednesday night. 

Primary 5/6

“We have been learning about hundreds, tens and units” – Jesse-Leigh

“We have been learning about conjunctions and trying to use them in some of our work”

“I went to my first reading ambassadors meeting on Monday” – Emma

“We have been learning about the Amerindian tribes” – Harvey

“We have been learning how to make our own tribe member” – Alper

“We presented our tribal person to the class” – Harvey

“We practised our rainforest assembly” – Mckenzie

Reminders
We have had to postpone our class assembly on the 9th of October. This has been rescheduled for Wednesday the 6th of November.

Please can you bring in a plastic bottle or milk carton for our art activity on Monday (30th September)

Primary 6

Primary 6/7

The Sharing Morning for our Outdoor Learning/Kingswood was a huge success – well done to everyone. 

Primary 6/7 have been enjoying their learning this week in all aspects of the curriculum. We have been focusing on division in Maths, carrying on with estimation and rounding, and introducing 2D and 3D shape. 

In Science we are learning about Materials in the World Around Us.
Amy and Logan said ‘’ I enjoyed programming in ICT using Scratch.’’
In Literacy we are busy creating our stories for our narrative writing.  

In HWB we have learnt about the importance of sleep to keep our bodies and minds well.  

We are excited about our Novel Study – Grandpa’s Great Escape by David Walliams and looking at the role of Spitfire pilots in WW2. The children have been doing some wonderful artwork on this.  

In PE we are keeping fit and having fun with Cricket, improving our catching and throwing skills.
Isla M ‘’ enjoyed the Volleyball this week and playing games.’’  

We have also been learning about the instruments in the orchestra in Music.  

Everyone had a great time at the Disco! Thank you to the PTA for organising this. 

Reminders- Unfortunately our Library visit had to be postponed this week. It will now take place on the 3rd October at 11am. Please remember to bring in a warm, waterproof jacket that day. Thankyou. 

Primary 7 

https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan