Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Our Weekly News – March 8th

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community.

We try our very best to upload a weekly post for each class but this is sometimes not always possible. Please have a read and a chat about what some of our classes have been up to this week.

School News

On Thursday the Reading Ambassadors organised our World Book Day celebrations. We would like to say a huge well done to everyone who entered our art competition. The Reading Ambassadors visited classes to read their favourite stories and everyone enjoyed listening. We have taken lots of pictures of pupils and staff with their favourite books and it was great to see everyone enjoying sharing their favourite stories!  

Class News

Primary 1a 

This week we have been learning our new sound – ‘ch’!  

Lola: Ch is for chicken!
Lexi: Chick has ch in it.  

In Maths we have been learning about symmetry with Miss Bryden.
Ayla: It’s nearly the same on each side.
Skye: We matched up the pictures. It had to be the other side… to make it symmetrical.
Teagan: We made butterflies. We painted them then folded the paper. 

We had a very exciting Friday morning last week, when we went along to our Ready, Teddy, Go! Workshop.
Abby: We were doing the tug of war. That’s the pull force.
Miley: I liked meeting the teddy bears Isaac and Newton!
Owen: We saw if things float or sink.
Darla: The gravity was pulling things down.  

We also loved watching Paddington with our friends and family.
Kendyl: There was a flood in the bathroom! It was just by accident though. He just don’t know how to live like humans.
Ollie: It was really funny.
Ethan: We made sandwiches. Jam, honey and marmalade. 

We loved celebrating Pancake Day.
Iris: We put on chocolate chips.
Finlay: I liked eating them. 

Primary 1b 

We have been busy bees recently! 

Last Friday we had our Science workshop – Ready Teddy Go. We were learning about different forces. It was so much fun. They taught us a special Science word for guessing – Brodie “predicting.”
Ziya: “We were talking about Scientist stuff. We launched the cars and shooted them.” 
Elliot: “We were playing with the cars.”
Ellie: “I loved the sinking and floating – it was the best in town!” 

We celebrated World Book Day by coming to school in our pyjamas and sharing our favourite books with our friends. Lots of the children made their own books in class – Eddie’s book was all about Tony Stark, Iron Man. 
Mya: “wearing our pyjamas for book day.”
Charlotte: “you had to bring your favourite book to School.” 

To celebrate our ‘Bears’ topic we had a movie night at school.
Zane: “We watched Paddington – I liked it when he went downstairs in the bath!”
We made marmalade sandwiches because Paddington LOVES marmalade! He always keeps one under his hat for emergenices…..! 

Our new sound this week was ‘ch’
Hannah: “it has 2 letters in it.”
We were making 4 and 5 letter words with our ‘ch’ sound using the magnetic letters and boards. 
We all decided that the best ‘ch’ word is chocolate! 

In Maths we have been working on adding to 6 using different concrete materials. We have been using our brand new resource – Numicon. We really like it. 
Mr Rogerson has been talking to us about symmetry. We have been making different symmetrical pictures in different ways.
Eryithsyai: “I made a beautiful butterfly. I coloured the shapes the same colour”
The children worked as a group to make a big symmetrical picture with Numicon and cubes.   

Mya: “Me, Charlotte, Willow, Beth, Tiffany and Conall and Flynn were playing catch.”
Joshua:I liked playing in the bear cave, flooding it with bricks.”
Willow: “We like finding worms”
Charlotte: “Me, Willow, Beth and Mya – we liked playing princesses outside.” 

Teddy Bears Picnic – Friday 15th March at 11:30am. Please return reply slips so we can organise lunches.  

We are looking for volunteers for our trip to the woods – if you can help, please let the class teacher know.  

Primary 2 

We have had a great World Book Day. We liked wearing our pyjamas to school. 

Mason liked the Bear story Mrs Crearie told us. It was her favourite story to read to her children.
Luci “I think it is fun to read books.”
Zofia” I liked reading other peoples story books.”
Fern “I liked making my book mark. ” 

We have also been working hard to learn our words and song for our Red Nose Day Assembly. We have been selling red noses to all the classes in the school. 

Oona “I like to help people and I hope we raise lots of money.”
Evie “We are raising money for people who have no homes.”
Indie “We are raising money for lonely people .”
Fern “We are raising money to buy people food.”
Floyd “We are raising money for people who are not well. “

Reminders 

P2 and P2/3 Red Nose Day Assembly in the hall at 9 15. 

Primary 2/3 

We have been working on money and giving change. 
Darcie – “We were painting starry night by Van Gogh.  I liked painting over the pastels. 
Lily S – “We were doing brush strokes.” 
Eamon – “The circles have started to learn times tables.” 
Jack J – “We have started to practice our assembly for Red Nose Day.” 
Alba – “I am looking forward to selling red noses.” 

Primary 3 

We have been researching Enid Blyton this week, as she wrote our class novel, ‘The Enchanted Wood’. We used a search engine to research her life and we found out some very interesting facts! 
Ferne – ‘Her birthday was on the 11th August’. 
Eli – ‘She wrote over 800 books’. 

We have been learning to sort and identify minibeasts this week. We used a Venn diagram to sort minibeasts. We had to look closely at their appearance to make our decisions.  
We also learned how to identify minibeasts with a flow chart.  
Caleb ‘We had to answer yes or no to the questions’. 
Morgan – ‘The arrow took us to the next question’. 

Reminders 
Please make sure you have ordered your free tickets for the Spring Singalong Show. Come along and enjoy songs, poems and dances all performed by P3, P3/4 and P4 on Tuesday 2nd of April at 1:45pm and Wednesday 3rd of April at 6:00pm. 
 ** Extra tickets will be available from the School Office from Monday 11th March – spread the word! 
Please bring in an empty plastic bottle from home.  

Primary 3/4 

Ruby – “I enjoyed going down to the nature garden to make fairy soup.” 
Fern – “I enjoyed our maths this week because we were adding and taking away multiples of 10.” 
Lucca – “I enjoyed PJ day for World Book Day.” 
Connor – “I liked World Book Day because we got to share our favourite books with other people. I enjoyed telling everyone about my book.” 
Kaidi – “I got a prize for my entry for the World Book Day competition. I am proud of myself.” 
Coby – “I liked wearing my PJs to school!” 

Reminders 

Primary 4 

In maths we have been thinking about information handling. P4 created Venn and Carroll diagrams. We have been sorting and organising objects based on our own and others’ criteria. We have come up with our own criteria for sorting and have suggested different ways of grouping the same sets of objects. 

Our show rehearsals are well underway and this week all three classes got together in the hall for the first time. We have been practicing our songs and dances as well as moving on and off stage. Some of our show songs are in French so this week we focused on our French colours. Kelvin really enjoyed playing French colour bingo! 

On Thursday we went on a trip to find out more about our local history in the time of the Vikings. We went to Trusty’s Hill near Gatehouse to explore and imagine what it might have been like to attack and defend a hillfort.  The hillfort had very steep sides and would have had four ditches and wooden walls to try and get past if it was being attacked. It would have been very difficult to carry a shield and an axe while also trying to climb up the steep sides. We came back to school and pretended that we were arriving from our Viking Longship on to a beach. We had to work as a team to make a shelter from ropes and sails. We thought about the games Viking children may have played. There was no electricity or plastic then – what did they do? Our challenge was to design and make games using things from the nature garden, we enjoyed having a go at each other’s games. To end our day, we had a Viking feast and shared stories around the fire. 
Alex: “I learned that the Vikings were defending and would go to the great hall to stay safe”. 
Emily-Rose: “I learned that the Vikings took over Gatehouse”. 
Kelvin: “I learned more about Viking runes”. 
Isla McF: “I learned that in battle it’s better to stick together when defending by making a shield wall”. 
Freya: “I realise now how hard it was to climb carrying a shield without falling!”. 
P4 would like to say a big thank you to Mr Tyson, Christine, Lyndsey, Rodney and Erin for helping make our day so fantastic! 

Reminders 

Please make sure you have ordered your free tickets for the Spring Singalong Show. Come along and enjoy songs, poems and dances all performed by P3, P3/4 and P4 on Tuesday 2nd of April at 1:45pm and Wednesday 3rd of April at 6:00pm. Extra tickets will be available from the School Office from Monday 11th March. 

Sumdog’s Dumfries and Galloway Maths Contest has started and finishes at 8pm on March 14th. For the score to count, the Dumfries and Galloway Maths Contest activity must be showing in the green panel on the left screen when you click to start each game. 

Primary 4/5 

In maths this week we have been learning about equivalent fractions.  
Hugo – Equivalent fractions are the same size. 
Callum – A good example is 1/2 = 2/4 

We have been continuing to read our class novel, Light on Dumyat. We split up into groups and designed what our own secret cave would look like, if we were to discover one. We have been practising how to listen to opinions and how to put our ideas together. 

This week in gymnastics, we have been working on our rolling skills. 
Charlotte – Teddy bear rolls are fun. 
Chloe – I can do a backwards roll. 
Skye – An egg roll, is another type of roll.  
Freya – I showed the class how to do a backwards roll to straddle. 

We had great fun on World Book Day. We all dressed up in our pyjamas and chatted about the importance of reading and sharing our favourite books. We all spoke to each other about the book we brought in, what it was about and why it was our favourite. We also watched a video from the author Lauren Child, who told us how magical reading can be.  

Oliwier – My favourite book is Light on Dumyat – I love that we are reading it in class.  
Murray – I love the Gigantosaurus book because I am really into dinosaurs.  
Jesse-Leigh – I love reading books that make me laugh. 
Maxi – I love reading non-fiction books.  

Have a look at the school Facebook page this week for photos from our recent trip to Threave Nature Reserve and other class activities.  

Primary 5 

Erin “World book day we shared books and read.”
Isla “In maths we have been learning fractions, decimals and percentages.”
Holly “In Big Writing we have been learning about newspaper reports.”
Ellie “On world book day we found out who won the drawing competition.”
Finlay “We watched a BBC live lesson and learned about some authors who had been turned into book marks.”
Georgia “We also watched a video about Liz Pichon earlier in the week and we all drew a Tom Gates front cover.” 

Wider Achievement
Anna and Yvie have finished their competitions for swimming.
Yvie achieved going back on Gypsie the horse.
Eilidh has started doing life guarding in swimming.
Alper is doing a higher level in boxing. 

Primary 5/6

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news.

Primary 6 

This week we have been continuing our science topic. We have been learning about light sources. We have also been setting up our own science experiments where we built parachutes and tested them by releasing them from the balcony.  

We have all been working hard on our writing and are focusing on persuasive writing. In RME we have been learning about the 5 K’s of Sikhism.  

For World Book Day we shared our favourite books and tried to ‘persuade’ others to read them. We did a book quiz and Jack, Carlie, Emily and Lois were the winners. We enjoyed watching a video by Jeff Kinney, author of the Wimpy Kid books. We tried writing our own funny diary entries.  

World Book Day Quotes  
“Reading gets me engrossed and gives me a taste of other people’s lives.” Seren  
“I like reading because it helps me learn.” Emily  
“I like reading because I feel like I go into a magical world.” Ellie  
“I love books they help me calm down and sleep.” Jake  

Wider achievements  

Fraser – went to Dumfries on Sunday to play rugby.  
Tomas – walked all the way round the loch.  
Jack – played football for ‘The Saints’ on Sunday.  

Reminders  
Please send in small, thin cardboard boxes for science on Monday to be cut up.

Primary 6/7

This week has been very busy. We started our new topic – WW2.
We brainstormed what we already knew about the topic and discussed what we wanted to learn. Noah brought in a picture of his Great Grandfather during the war.
We learned about the leaders during the war and their role. We’re really looking forward to continuing our topic next week. We will learn about the Evacuees next week.

We took part in a World Book Day Quiz on Thursday. It tough and the final scores were very close! We are all working hard to achieve our Accelerated Reading targets also.

Reminders
P.E. Kits Mondays and Fridays. On Friday, children will require an Outdoor P.E. Kit for football on the Muga.