Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Our Weekly News – March 1st

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community.

We try our very best to upload a weekly post for each class but this is sometimes not always possible. Please have a read and a chat about what some of our classes have been up to this week.

School News

World Book Day next Thursday 7th March. All children invited to wear their Pyjamas and bring in their favourite story book.  

Bikeability (P6’s & P7’s) & Ditch Your Stabilisers (Nursery & P1’s) on Wed 6th March. If your child has shown interest then a letter has been sent home. Please check schoolbags.

Tesco Community Fund Tokens – School Drama Club

The school has been chosen as one of the three funding bids for the latest round of Community Funding at Tesco in Castle Douglas. If our bid is successful the funding will go towards purchasing wireless microphone and other resources for our Drama Club. We would like to ask you to share this with family and friends so that we can collect lot of tokens and hopefully be the successful bid. Your support is much appreciated.

Comic Relief Day Friday 15th March.  We will be having a non-uniform day on the Friday and we are asking the children to come dressed in bright clothes.  We will be selling red noses from Monday 4th March at the cost of £1.25 each.

Class News

Primary 1a 

This week we have been learning our new double sound ‘sh’. We have also read ‘Goldilocks and the 3 Bears’ and did some fantastic pieces of writing! 

Skye: I liked hearing the Goldilocks story.  
Kaci: My favourite part is Goldilocks eating the baby bear’s porridge. 

In Maths we have been using Numicon to practise adding to 6 and have really loved using this new resource. We have also started work on symmetry. 
Luke: I like playing with the Numicon. I like number 1. 
Ethan: I liked the symmetry. I liked matching the sides up on the game. 
Now that our topic has changed, so has our role play area! We have loved building our bear’s tree house!  
Lola: I like it when Ted is inside and we have the brush to tidy the house! 
Murry: I made the oven and it can be used as the toilet as well. 
Riley: I like the big arch and I like when Ted has it as his house. He has a wee bed. 

We are really looking forward to our science workshop on Friday. Photos to come next week. 

Thank you to those who came to our Storytime on Monday! We hope you enjoyed our bear story! 

Reminders 
 If you would like to come along to our Paddington Movie Afternoon, please return the slip by Wednesday – thank you. 

Primary 1b 

Brodie: “I liked doing shapes” “we were learning to half them in parts.”
Ellie: “I love playing outside with Ziya.”
Conall: “I liked making the trap with Kai.”
Joshua: “I like playing with everyone.”
Willow: “I liked playing with the bears, playing Mums and Dads.”
William: “I liked playing with all the boys.”
Charlotte: “We made a bear cave and a den” “We’ve got new books.” 

We have been using the books in our classroom to learn about different bears…grrrrrrrrr!!! 

Mr Rogerson shared the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears – we wrote super sentences focusing on the words; he, she and is.  

Ellie: “She is lovely.” 
Kai: “He is strong.” 
Brodie: “He is little.” 

We used our phonic knowledge to help write the words – saying the words aloud to hear the sounds.  
Conall: “Don’t forget a capital letter and full stop” 

We were usng the 2go software – using the arrows to move the car around the town and the rocket around space.  
Archie: “I took the rocket to the sun.” 

Thank you to those who were able to join our story time on Monday. We really like sharing stories as a big group.  

Reminders 
*Movie Night Wednesday 6th March at 3pm in the Hall. Bring snacks if you wish. 

Primary 3 

We have been learning about minibeasts this week, as part of our Enchanted Forest topic. We watched and listened to different video clips to find out new information and we are learning to scan text for key words to find out more. With a partner, we identified some questions we would like to find out the answer to about a minibeast. We then used the internet to find the answer to our question – we enjoyed sharing the new information with our peers.  

Ewan – ‘We wanted to find out what a baby dragonfly looks like.’ 
Noah – ‘I wanted to find out what a ladybird likes to eat’. 

In a group, we also had a closer look at Flow Charts and how they work. We used them to help us to identify different minibeasts using their characteristics.  

Reminders 
Threave Gardens Trip – Friday 8th March – all day 

Primary 3/4 

This week we have been working on chimney sums in maths. We have been learning to borrow from the tens when doing takeaway sums.  

Rhuben – “Chimney sums are getting easier the more I practice”.  

We have also been preparing for our Spring Show and have been working hard to learn all our songs.   

In topic, we used lots of different materials to create a new land for the top of the Enchanted Tree. We have also been learning about food chains and made our own food chain pictures. 

“I enjoyed making a food chain. It was fun thinking of what different animals eat and the order of the food chain” – Connor 

“This week I liked making lands for the top of the tree. It was so fun making it out of junk because I had to really use my imagination. I made puppy land”.  

In PE we have been learning how to do a forward and backwards roll correctly and safely.  

Coby – “This week I enjoyed PE because we learned to do a backwards roll and I had lots of fun”.
Devlin – “I enjoyed playing cats and mice in PE. I had to run fast.”
Nikola – “I learned it’s really important to tuck your head in when you do a forwards and backwards roll”. 

Reminders 

Threave Gardens Trip – Wednesday 6th March – all day 

World Book Day – Thursday 7th March 

Spring Singalong, 1 or 2 tickets can be ordered by returning the slip by Friday 15th of March.

Primary 4

We have been preparing for our Spring Singalong. We joined P3/4 for music this week to practice our songs. Ben R, Keighla, Saffron, Lewis and Rylan have started rehearing dances. Everyone wrote an invitation to the performance and illustrated a spring picture. 

In maths we have been focusing on right angles. On Wednesday we went outdoors to find some examples in our playground. 

Lots of children earned their silver and bronze awards this week. Well done P4! 

Wider Achievement 

Emily-Rose has started knitting a scarf.
Keighla achieved her new karate belt, it is red and white.  

Reminders  

Viking trip permission forms and £2 to be returned by Monday 4th of March.
Viking Hill walk on Thursday 7th of March. See letter sent home for more details.

Primary 4/5 

In PE we have started a block on gymnastics. This week we have been looking at our balancing skills. 

Alannah – I can now do a partner balance. You need to use your tummy muscles a lot.  
Callum – I have been learning how to balance on different parts of my body.  
Ollie – It is easier to balance when you keep your stomach muscles tight.  

In Maths we have been continuing to practise our money handling skills.  
Callum – I can make the same amounts using different coins. 
Freya – I enjoyed playing the true or false money game. We had to decide if each pile of coins had the same value.  
Elle – If you put 10p into a change machine, you might get 10 1p coins back out.  
Shea – We have been learning about how we work out if we can afford something or not.  

In our writing setting groups we have been looking at how to write newspaper reports. 

Skye – We spoke about how to split up each section of a report using good words like first, next and after that. 
Callum – We learned how to add in a quote into our report from someone that had been interviewed.  
Brooke – In our group we worked on adding in good openers and connectives to our report. 

We welcomed a new pupil, Darragh, into our class this week.  

Wider Achievement 
Freya – I learned how to do a cartwheel on the beam at gymnastics club. 

Primary 5 
We went on our trip to Edinburgh last Wednesday which was great fun. Children were learning about different key locations in Edinburgh to do with Mary Queen of Scots including Holyrood Palace and Edinburgh Castle. Photos of and comments from the children on the trip are available on the school website. In numeracy we have been learning about multiples and factors as well as starting work on equivalent fractions. We have also continued our work on time with Mrs. Starkey. We are continuing our work on how to write a newspaper report in Big Writing. We have researched facts about Mary Queen of Scots to make a factfile in ICT.   

Reminders  
World Book Day is on 7th March and children are asked to come in their pyjamas and bring their favourite storybook to school. 

Primary 5/6

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news

Primary 6 

This week we have been exploring line graphs and angles in our maths work. For homework we collected data on our pulse and used it to make a line graph. We learned that line graphs need a title, axes have labels and we also had to think about the scale – a lot to think about! 
Our angle work included looking for angles in right life. We know about right, acute, obtuse, straight and reflex angles. 
Ellie = “An angle is where two lines meet.” 
Megan enjoyed making a spreadsheet in ICT and we will be using our spreadsheet and graph skills next week when we start doing Science experiments about air resistance. 

We worked with Mrs Bennet to find out about Night and Day. We learned that : 
Ellie – “The earth turns once a day.” 
Seren – “The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. 
Mylie – “When our country faces the sun it is lit up and is daytime.” 

We also started Gymnastics work this week and there is a shirt video clip on our school Twitter feed @castledps 

Wider Achievement : 
Eilidh – did a forward roll in to the pool for the first time. 
Carlie – went on a challenging mountain bike trail at Mabie Forest. 
Catriona – was playing for Threave Rovers against Heston and won 8-0! 
Logan – achieved a Most Improved Award at Megan’s Gymnastics. 

P6 Feis Rois Singing Round

Reminders : 
Newspapers and small plastic bottles for science experiment on Monday. 

Primary 6/7  

Mya “On Wednesday we had our job fair with Primary 7.” 
Melissa “At the job fair we learned about the different skills required to do the different jobs.” 
Noah “At the job fair I spoke with Colin from the Post Office. I learned that there are lots of different roles that he fulfills in his job.” 
Holly “At the job fair I learned that if I was to be a beautician I would need to have a steady hand and be a chatty person.” 
Brooke “ I learned from Marianne at RBS that sometimes you have to be assertive.” 

Cormac has enjoyed his first week in P6/7! 

In maths we have been learning about Volume. We learned that 1000ml is the same as 1 Litre.  

The P7 enjoyed meeting Mr Smith from CDHS. 

P6/7 and P7 Job Fair Photographs

Primary 7

Colin from the Post Office did a competition at our Job Fair and he brought in different kinds of money. – Neave

This week we have continued looking at Pop Art. We have been looking at Andy Warhol. I have used the Fortnite logo to create work like his. – Bob

At the Job Fair the Coastguard told us all the different things she had to do. You could be in a helicopter one day and helping people stuck in mud the next day! – Isla L

We have been doing division in mental maths  – It’s tricky but I’m getting used to it now. – Sam

On Tuesday we went on the Netball court to play some games. I loved playing Numbers in French. – Isla A.

Mr Smith told us about the uniform at the High School at the Gateway meeting on Tuesday – Rory L.

In maths we have been working on Fractions. I find simplifying fractions quite tricky. – Katherine.

Well done to Charley for winning the Dojo points this week.

Reminders
The next P7 PTA meeting will be on Thursday 14th March at 4pm. All P7 parents welcome.