Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Weekly News – October 7th

Class news

This week in P1 we enjoyed a sound and number hunt in the town.

Callum – “I spotted a s on the street.”

Noah – “I found an o on a sign.”

Imogen – “I saw numbers on doors.”

Georgie – “I found a capital a near the market.”

Rose – “I saw a capital e near a shop.”

Eli L – “We saw numbers and letters on cars.”

In P1/2 we enjoyed our sound/number/word hunt around the town on Friday – we spotted lots of the sounds, numbers and words we know.  Thanks to parent helpers.

Emma – “I saw 7 on a door.”

Leigha – “46 was on a car.”

We made musical shakers out of plastic bottles.  We used our senses to listen to the different sounds they made when we filled them with different materials.

Cameron – “I put water and glitter in mine – it made a swoosh sound.”

In P2a we have been learning about grid references and we made very colourful birds using them.

Alfie – “It was pretty good to see how the birds appeared.  It was kind of fun when I worked out how to do it.”

Lily – “I thought it was hard but fun.”

We have been learning about our sense of smell.  We were listing nice smells and bad smells.  Lewis likes to smell ice cream.  Lexi does not like the smell of farms.   Riley likes the smell of chicken.  Callum does not like the smell of oil.

On Wednesday P2b had fun making chocolate sparklers and shortbread Catherine wheels for their page of the 2017 School Calendar. The class also had a look at the alphabet in sign language and learned how to sign their own names.

Zac B said ” I wish it was Wednesday every day so we could bake every day”

In P3a this week we have been improving our ICT skills.  We have been learning how to copy and paste.  We have also been working on grid referencing and plotting co-ordinates.  This week Douglas has been learning to dive down to the bottom of the deep end.  Harrison moved up a class in Karate and Duncan passed Stage 3 in gymnastics.  Well done boys!

In P3b we have been taking photographs for the school calendar.  We have written fantastic imaginative stories that were based on Dreams as our class novel is the BFG.  In Maths we are sequencing and ordering numbers to 100 and 1000.

This week in P4 we have been looking at emotions.  We have been starting our underwater animations about water pollution.  We have also designed our page for the 2017 calendar.  Carlie participated in the CD fun run last Saturday.

P4/5 have been learning their times tables and the history of chocolate.

Abbey S – “I enjoyed drawing and painting characters from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

Finley McG – “My biggest success this week has been reading my ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.’

Harris cycled up a new hill.

This week in P5  “we are learning about the Hanukkah with Mrs Bathgate in RME” – Neave B

“We are finishing the 2016-2017 calendar pictures for the PTA to sell for the school.” – Elise

“We went outside to the playground and thought of habitats.” – Tianna

“The tag rugby team are about to do their very first game in Kirkcudbright.” – Rachel

This week in P5/6 we have been working on our art work for the PTA calendar.  We are doing the month December.  We have been using paper mache to make Christmas puddings.  We have also been studying the artist Andy Warhol.  Leland has nearly finished his book mark at Stitchclub.

This week in art P6 have learned how to make paper mache nests.  We have been subtracting decimals.  We have been learning how to count to 20 in French and how to say class objects.  We wrote a recount of the Titanium video.

In the Hard Rock competition Carla got 3rd place.  Callie and Chloe have a ballet competition coming up. George has started Archery.  Stitchclub girls have been improving.  It has been a birthday week in P6 : George, Jess, Fraser and Carla.  Cormac, Murray and Corey played a football match at the weekend and won 14-6.

This week in P6/7 we looked at how islands were formed.  We researched our own Scottish islands and we have photos to show what we made.  In the Daily Mile we have now reached Paris.  James, Archie, Stephanie and Madison took part in the Bikeability scheme.

This week P7 have been completing a Vopic assessment – creating a storyboard.

Some pupils have also taken part in Bikeability Level 1 training.  The boys and girls have also been completing challenges on Sum dog.  Their current challenge is addition based and is open until Wednesday 12th.  Well done to P7 pupils who took part in the Hardrock Challenge last Saturday – Maisie, Leah, Innes, Tessa and Danny.

Reminders for Next Week

Monday 10th – Pupil Flu Vaccinations

Monday 10th 6:30pm – Kingswood Meeting for families wishing further information about the proposed visit in August 2017.

P1 – On Tuesday we are going on a bear hunt to the Doach Woods.  Please dress in appropriate clothing (old clothes and please bring a coat) for the weather on that day.
P1/2 – Please send teddy to school on Wednesday 12th for our Bear Party.  We are going to the Doach Woods ‘On a Bear Hunt’ on Wednesday 12th.  Please send a pocket sized snack and appropriate clothing (old clothes and please bring a coat) for and footwear.  Please send homework bags and diaries to school every day.

PTA Autumn Disco P1-P3 6pm until 7pm and P4-P7 7:15pm – 8:30pm

Friday 14th – October Holidays. School opens for the Winter |Term on Monday 31st October.

For P4-7 Pupils The National Sumdog Competition is now open until next Thursday. Log on at home and have a go!!!