Primary One – Tuesday 26th May 2020

Good Morning Everyone! September - Back to School Stationery and Printables (With images ...

I hope you are all well and enjoyed the beautiful sunny weather we had yesterday. I am enjoying my early morning dog walks, there is so much to see and hear. The birds are really enjoying the quiet skies and are singing all the time. I even met a fox this morning I think it was making its way back to its den for a sleep as foxes are nocturnal. Some tasks for you to complete today.

Activity 1 – Free Phonics Cliparts, Download Free Clip Art, Free Clip Art on ...   th sound

L.I. to understand that 2 letters can make 1 sound

S.C. I can say the sound to match the letter shape

S.C. I can blend this sound with other sounds to read words

S.C. I can write this letter

Yesterday I introduced you to the th sound.

Remember not to mix up the f and th sound!

th can be a quiet blue sound but it can also be a loud dark blue sound.

Watch the short clip below.

The loud, hard, dark blue th sound can usually be heard in our tricky words – the, them, then, that, this, these, those. Can you say thick then the can you hear the difference in the th sound makes? Practice saying these words, listen for the difference in the th sound.

thin      –        then            thumb     –    them            teeth        –    that

cloth      –       this             bath    –       these             thank      –     those

Choose 3  words with the loud hard th in them and write a sentence for each then complete the Word Building th from your pack. Challenge – Complete the th wordsearch.

Activity 2 – Reading Free Reading Clipart - Clip Art Pictures - Graphics - Illustrations

L.I. to find information from a text

S.C. I can use pictures in the book as a clue to help me recognise unfamiliar words

S.C. I can use words that I know in a sentence to help me predict what an unfamiliar  word could be

I hope you enjoyed reading and sharing Our Incredible Plant from Oxford Owls. I would like you to answer the questions below. You can answer them in sentences in your jotter or discuss them with someone in your house.

1. How are we spoiling our planet?
  2. How do greenhouse gases get into the air?
  3. Write or discuss 2 things we can do to help?
  4. What gets rid of some of the gases from the air?

Create a poster displaying the things we can do to stop spoiling our planet. Take a picture of your poster and send it to the school via email. I would love to see them. Enjoy!

Activity 3 – Numeracy Curriculum clipart numeracy, Curriculum numeracy Transparent FREE ... Number Talks

L.I. to identify a pattern

S.C. I can show the steps I took to solve a problem

S.C. I can explain why I did it the way I did

S.C. I can check my answers and make sure my answer is correct

I have 2 number talks tasks for you today, the first one has dot and the second one has numerals.

Remember Number Talks are all about how you solve a task mentally. For this activity, don’t use anything to help you, just your brain!

Task 1

How many dots do you see and how do you see them? You can copy the pattern into you jotters and explain your thinking to someone in your home.

Task 2

What strategies did you use, can you explain how you worked out the answer?

9 + 1 =

9 + 3 =

9 + 5 =

9 + 7 =

Next I would like you to complete Doubles/near doubles, addition facts for 6 from your home learning pack. Remember knowing doubles and near doubles is a really useful strategy to use during number talks. A clip below that may be helpful. Enjoy!

Activity 4 – Art and Crafts

L.I, to use a range of media creatively

S.C. I can make a twig boat using recycled materials

How to make a twig boat

You don’t need very much to make a twig boat. Just some twigs, grass (or perhaps string/wool if you have any) a few fallen flowers and a leaf for the sail.

Step 1 – Collect some fallen twigs

Step 2 – Lay your grass or string down and then place the twigs on top

Step 3 – Tightly wrap the grass or string around the twigs, try to keep the twigs as flat as possible

Step 4- Take one extra twig and slot it into the bottom of your boat , this becomes your mast

Step 5 -Thread a leaf gently by poking the mast through it in 2 places- this will make your sail

Step 6 – Add a few tiny fallen flowers for decoration

Step 7 – Set it afloat in a bathtub, paddling pool etc.

Step 8 – Ask yourself the question – Does it float?

Have a great day. Tomorrow Mrs Stewart and Mrs Wallace will post some Wellbeing Wednesday activities. Enjoy!