Primary 3 – Tuesday 19th May

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a lovely long weekend. I am missing you all very much! You can now pick up your new pack of learning from school.

Can you read fiction, non- fiction and poems about animals? Note down any adjectives (describing words) in the books used to describe the animal – eg furry, fierce, huge.

We are going to look at SIMILES –  A simile is a figure of speech that directly compares two different things. The simile is usually in a phrase that begins with the words “as” or “like.” This is different from a metaphor, which is also a comparison but one says something is something else, for example:

As big as an elephant

As cunning as a fox

Soar like an eagle

Have eyes like a hawk

Can you find other examples of SIMILES connected to animals, either online (this link might be useful – https://examples.yourdictionary.com/simile-examples-for-kids.html), or by asking someone at home? Write these down. Then add any others that you can think of or have perhaps made up.

You then might want to try this quiz for a bit of fun!

https://www.educationquizzes.com/ks1/english/similes/

Lastly, write a set of questions about animals you would like to find out about, for example:

“What type of food does a Giraffe eat?”

Writing – Remember to do this week’s writing task set by Miss Taylor – this will be on the Blog at some point this week. It is based around a competition for SKY this week!!

Numeracy –

Play on Number Fact Families: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/5-7-years/addition-and-subtraction – find the addition and subtraction fact families for numbers up to 20, 50 or 100.

Keep practising your 2, 5 & 10 times tables – ask someone at home to test you regularly.

Write out each of these tables without looking at anything to help you!

Here are some Times Tables Songs you may wish to listen to just to remind you of each of the tables again:

French

We have been looking at numbers, days of the week and months of the year in French. Now I would like us to take a look at ‘My Family’ – ‘Ma Famille’

Try this activity where you match the family members in French to those in English:

Ma Famille matching sheet

IDL

Look at maps of the UK and begin to identify the countries within it – all the countries we have been researching. Use the map below to correctly place Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales:

Blank map of UK

Colour in the map so it is really eye-catching – your one will be much brighter than the example below, but it was the only one I could find that didn’t include the names of the countries!!!

Can you write a brief summary of any experiences of the countries in the UK you have had. To give you an idea of what I’m looking for, in my summary I might say:

‘I have visited a number of places in England, my favourites so far being Newcastle, Cheshire and Liverpool. I got to see many exciting things in these places and I saw some famous landmarks such as The Angel of the North in Newcastle and the famous Cavern Club in Liverpool where The Beatles first played. I loved the shopping on my visits to Cheshire Oaks shopping outlets in Cheshire.

I have visited Wales as a young girl and enjoyed visiting castles there. We took a family holiday to the Butlins resort in Wales too. I have an auntie who lived in the capital city of Wales, which is Cardiff.

I have never been to Northern Ireland yet but I would love to visit, especially since one of my best friends – Mrs Stevenson, is from here! I would love to visit the Titanic Museum in Belfast!

I have visited many parts of Scotland – our home country, over the years. I have had many shopping experiences in places like Glasgow, Stirling and Edinburgh. I have enjoyed trips to places such as The Glasgow Science Centre, Edinburgh Castle, Aberdeen Promenade and The Royal Mile. Some of my favourite places to visit in Scotland are South Queensferry, Pitlochry, Oban, Anstruther, and Loch Lomond. There are so many amazing places to visit in Scotland and I can’t wait to get back out there when Lockdown is over!!!’

Finally, Mrs Anderson has a little competition for you all:

Mrs Anderson COMPETITION

Hope you enjoy Wellbeing Wednesday and Mrs Lockhart and Mrs Morrison will be with you on Thursday and Friday.

Mrs Hillan