Happy Thursday Primary 1/2 7.5.20

Good Morning Everyone!

Good morning boys and girls, I hope you are all ready for Thursday’s home learning tasks. Don’t forget to keep working through the learning packs, there will be a new one ready for you soon.  Let’s jump right in with Thursday’s activities.

Reading

Visit  https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/ to access our book for this week – ‘Top Dog’

Username deans12

Password mrsstevenson

Re- read the book with the help of an adult.

Remember all those things that a good reader does.

• Follows the words with their finger
  • Uses the pictures for clues
  • Sounds out any tricky words

Yesterday I gave you some before reading questions, let’s try some after  reading questions today? Share your thoughts and ideas on these with an adult.

-Which dog did you like the best and why?

-How do you think Floppy was feeling throughout the story? Are there any picture clues to help you?

-How do you think Floppy felt at the end of the story and why? How can you tell?

-Biff, Chip and Kipper did a nice thing for Floppy to make him feel better, have you ever done anything to make someone feel better?

Choose an activity to complete from your home learning pack guided reading grid.  I have attached a copy below.

Guided Reading homelearning grid 

As a fun little game to finish off our reading today – I found this online to help you practise reading CVC words. Have a go, you can either write the words down or shout them out at your computer.

Phonics

Yesterday we had an introduction to the sound ‘ng’.

Today we are going to have a go a writing this sound.

I would encourage you to have a go at joining the two letters together when you write them, there are a few practise sheets inside your home learning packs to guide you with the correct formation. Don’t forget to be successful when writing this join you need to  –

• Have a sharp pencil
  • Rest your letters on the line, apart from g which has a tail!
  • Take your time and don’t lift your pencil until you have finished the join.

Another way to use ‘ng‘ is to add it to the end of a word with an ‘i‘ to make it ‘ing’

Can you have a go at listening carefully to these words

pack -ing         pick -ing     lock -ing

lick -ing            kick -ing    suck -ing

Have a go at writing these and drawing a picture to go with each one. Below is a little activity to help you practise this skill.

adding ing activity

I have added a game called ‘Sing a Song’ to our Home learning section of the Education city class area. Remember your passwords are glued to the inside cover of your purple jotters.

Numeracy and Maths

Daily 10

For today’s daily ten, I though we could continue with last weeks topic of ‘ten more’. This time I’m going to make it a little bit trickier.. Here goes, so if the number was 45, ten more would be 55… If you have access to a 100 square that would really help, alternatively here is one below. Ask an adult to help you with a practise run first.

Can you figure out the strategy to find ten more on the 100 square? (It’s easy just find the number and look below it, you can even count on ten to check!) Which number changes and which number stays the same? Share your ideas with an adult.

1.  25            2.   19          3.   56           4.  67        5.   33           6.  81   7.  10       8. 73            9. 23           10. 22

Money

How is everyone getting on with the money box challenge? Remember to send your pictures into the school office as  I would really love to see them.

wldeans-ps@westlothian.org.uk

Today I thought we could get some practise using real money. Hopefully the adults in your house will agree to help with this little challenge as it will benefit them too.

When we grow up we have to work hard to earn money for the things we need and want to buy for our families. I would like you to have a little go at seeing how much work goes into earning yourself some money. With an adult decide on a list of jobs which you can do to help out around the house. For Example, washing the dishes, making your bed, reading a story to a younger sibling… next agree with an adult how much you will get ‘paid’ to complete these activities, it can be as little or as much as your adult agrees to. I have included a chore chart template below, but it might be just as easy to make your own.

Chore Chart

Remember to keep working through the money worksheets in your Home learning packs.

I have also added another challenge on Sum Dog website this time focusing on 2D shape words. Have a go, well done to all of you who have logged on and given it a go, there were some pretty impressive scores, keep it up!

Art/Topic

Below is a link for a guided drawing of a butterfly. There are lots of butterflies about at the moment especially if you are out walking in the woods. They are one of my favourite insects and it is great opportunity to practise our drawing skills and of course we need to use careful listening too. Remember to colour in your butterfly. Have FUN!

This made me think about one of my most favourite stories to read to my little boy, The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. Grab a glass of milk or water and lets pretend it’s story time in class.

Have a great day Boys and Girls, Mrs Lockhart will be sharing some activities for you to complete tomorrow. Have an amazing weekend, hopefully the sun will shine for us. Before I go, I just wanted to add that Miss Swanson wanted me to share with you that she is missing you all so so much, she says hello and is happy and healthy at home with her family. She cannot wait to see you all very very soon!

Mrs Stevenson