All S6 pupils and any pupil interested in leaving school should:
Step 1 – Complete the 3 Future Pathways Destination Planning forms
- About me – All About Me
- Qualifications summary – Achievements summary
- Destination planning summary (this is essential as it is a summary of your RESEARCH) – Dest planning form
These forms will be shared with your Home Area Principal Teacher to help them when they write a school reference (where required). This information will also be shared with your Depute Head Teacher.
If you are not in S6 and planning to leave at the end of the year or a Christmas – you must see Mrs Patrick and make sure your speak to your form class leader.
Step 2 – Write a Personal Statement
ALL leavers must create a personal statement – regardless of your destination. You can:
- use the Personal Statement tile on UCAS
- use this link – UCAS Personal Statement advice
- watch the UCAS video clip – Video
- use the UCAS Personal Statement Tool – TOOL
- Also available – Glow tile – Future Pathways – Personal Statements
- Do not copy a personal statement from someone else!
- you can start with a list/ bullet points to help you think about what you want to include.
- ask a range of people to read it and get advice on grammar, etc as well ensuring that this STATEMENT describes you
- do not make it a list of your achievements/skills/work experience – consider what you learned about your course/career
Step 3 – If applying to Higher Education you will need to apply to/logon to UCAS
- Use the UCAS how to guide to logon to UCAS – UCAS – How to guide
- Complete the information required in all sections – make sure you SAVE each section. You do not have to complete each section in one attempt, you can update this at your own pace.
- More information on UCAS – UCAS advice
Step 4 – Ensure you meet targets and deadlines
- UCAS Conservatoires (some courses) – 2/10/17
- UCAS early applicants (medicine/vet/dentistry/Oxbridge) – 6/10/17 (UCAS deadline 15/10/17 – during Oct holiday)
- Forth Valley College applications open for 2018 – Oct 2017
- Most other colleges applications open for 2018 – Jan 2018
- Apprenticeship opportunities for 2018 – various dates throughout the year.
- Use the following link for more information:
Step 5 – meet Mrs Patrick or DHT House
- when you have completed UCAS + a personal statement
- when you have any questions
- to get advice on your future pathway
- when you need a reference
- Mrs Patrick will be meeting with pupils/groups of pupils to discuss destination planning (from October onwards)
- DHTs will arrange to meet UCAS applicants to check on your progress (from October onwards)