S4 pupils receive their pre-work experience training in September, prior to the one week placement – to support the preparation for the work experience placement (10-14/9/18). Presentations from Mrs Patrick (DHT), Mrs McNeillis (Admin Support), Senior Prefects and a local employer/work experience provider Lorna Robb.
What you need:
- Introduction Letter
- Plan for transport
- Pupil workbook
Mrs McNeillis reminded pupils that they (or their parents/guardians) have now received a letter confirming their work placement (if not they should see Mrs McNeillis in the office as soon as possible)
Transport – make sure you know your route in advance (don’t be late)
Lunch – take a packed lunch or money to buy lunch (if you know there is somewhere close by to buy food)
Pupil Workbook – take your pupil workbook to your placement as you need to complete a reflection on one day of your placement and you need your supervisor to complete a supervisors report.
How to have the best week – advice for S4 pupils (from S6 pupils):
- Get there on time – plan your journey/know your transport plans
- Check the uniform/dress code
- If you are ill/running late – make sure you tell them quickly (as well as the school)
- Ask questions – show you are keen/enthusiastic
- If you finish a task – ask for something else to do
- Don’t keep checking your phone
- Take a notebook if you want to take notes which you can look back at when writing your personal statement
- Make the most of the week (even if you decide you will not be working in this type of business in the future)
Thanks to some of our S6 pupils who shared their personal experience and advice with our S4 pupils.
What do employers want from you?
- to turn up
- be on time
- ask questions
- don’t sit doing nothing if you finish a task
- be responsible/careful (don’t cause accidents)
- follow health and safety advice
Health and safety/risk assessment overview –
Talk and demonstration by Lorna Robb (Fraser C Robb) on how important health and safety training is when on placement – her advice:
- listen when being trained
- ask questions if not sure
- do what the employer advises eg bend knees when lifting.
Before you go on placement:
- fill in the front cover of Work Placement Workbook
- complete and review your skills review
- fill in the table during Form Class. Worksheet 1 – details of the employer – name, address, phone number, dress code, times, etc
- decide on your work placement GOAL/s – this will be done during PSE.
- Decide the steps needed to complete your goal (eg goal – find out how to change a tyre, Steps – ask employer if you can watch an employee change a tyre, take notes, write down the equipment used, etc).
During your placement:
- attend every day (if you have an appointment you must tell your employer as soon as possible)
- ask questions/do your best
- ask your employer/supervisor to fill in the Supervisors Report in your Work Placement Workbook before you finish on Friday.
- complete Worksheet 2 – write about one of the tasks you have completed during your week.
After your placement:
- share summary with your form class leader.
- during PSE – complete your Work Placement Workbook (including a review/update of your skills following your placement)
- the Work Placement Workbook is the assessment evidence used to ensure you gain the SQA Work Placement unit at SCQF level 4 or 5 – please keep it safe during the placement. If you require a new copy please see Mrs Patrick