Why do a work placement?

• Career information:                                                                                                                  – find out about this career/area                                                                            – what does each job actually look like.                                                              – find out if you want to follow this career/don’t want to                           pursue this career
  • Make contacts (NETWORK) – the employer/owner may:                                   –  ask you back                                                                                                                   –  agree to give you a reference                                                                               –  help you get a job/other work experience, etc.
  • Develop your skills– eg improve your communication skills by talking to other workers, customers, etc
  • Learn about the world of work and the workplace
  • Consider the pathways to this career – find out how to get a career in this area  eg:

– Can you do an apprenticeship?

– What College/University course should you apply to?

– What qualifications do you need?

– What career opportunities are there in the future?

Previous pupils’ experience of work experience:

• “my week proved to me that I definitely want to follow this career path – it has made me work harder to make sure I get the grades I need”
  • “I thought I wanted to be a teacher – my work experience made me see that I did not enjoy this type of job”
  • “my week showed me that the job is not what  thought it was – I am now not interested in a career in law and have arranged another work experience in the summer to help me decide what I do want to do”
  • “I improved my network of contacts – the employer has given me names of colleagues, one who has agreed to offer me another week next year”
  • “the manager offered me a part-time summer job after my work experience placement”
  • “I was offered a 4 year apprenticeship following my placement”