mercredi le 20 mai

Good Morning Primary 6,

I think it’s suppose to be a lovely sunny day today.  Are you going to be able to get outside and enjoys the fresh air and sun rays?

Yesterday, 11 people went onto the Sumdog Contest for North Lanarkshire.  Do you think we can get even more on from P6 today- I hope so.

LITERACY

Starter:

Look at your C.S.I. What did you think are the themes do you think are the most prominent in this book?

Activity:

I can create a board game relating to the story line and theme of “Danny the Champion of the World.”

Have a look at this example of a board game based on Danny the Champion of the World.

This board game takes you through the storyline. It has sections that requires you to either answer a question, spell a word or define a word’s meaning.

Can you create your own board game for our story? You could use “?” and have questions set up to answer.

You might decide to not use spelling or questions and perhaps draw a picture and someone has to say what was happening in the story or draw or write a character and they have to say who it is and what their personality was like.

Plenary:

Can you get someone to play your game at home? Or a friend over a video call or email it to me:

FionaPollock@woodlands.n-lanark.sch.uk

NUMERACY

Starter:

In the next few weeks, we’re going to revise multiplication calculations. To ensure you’ve got your times tables facts at your fingertips, each day this week for our mental starter, we’re going to play a game which helps you to revise your times tables. Here’s today’s game:

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

Select-> Times Tables ->Hit the Question -> Mixed. You can decide whether you want to do Tables up to 10 or 12

Activities:

I can use formal methods (chimney sums) to solve subtraction calculations

Don’t forget:

To ensure your work is accurate, think about:

• Estimating and checking an answer. It can be easy to make a careless mistake in a calculation so it is very helpful to estimate the answer before completing it using rounding or known facts.
  • Laying out a calculation. Remember the importance of lining up the digits correctly, particularly if there are two numbers of different sizes, e.g. a 6-digit number and a 4-digit number.
  • The importance of zero. It is particularly important in a written calculation to keep the digits in the columns where they belong.
  • Mental or written strategy. Look at a calculation and consider whether a mental or written strategy is most appropriate. Just because it is written as a formal calculation doesn’t mean you have to solve it that way. For example, the calculation 6034 – 5897 would be very difficult as a written calculation (as it involves exchange several times), but it is relatively easy to work out the difference by counting on.

*Challenge*

Plenary:

Spend at least 10 minutes on Sumdog. Everyone at Woodlands has been entered into the North Lanarkshire Maths Contest. The contest started on Friday at 8am and finishes on Thursday 21st at 8pm. Just over 1 day left!!!

We need as many people from our class as possible to have a go at the contest so that we can appear on the leader board. Come on P6, let’s do this!!  Yesterday, I gave out coins to 11 children who spent time on Sumdog. The longer you spend on Sumdog the more coins I will send you. Let’s see if you can earn some more coins for yourself this week!

Good Luck Everyone,

Mrs P

3 thoughts on “mercredi le 20 mai”