Catholic school is more than just an education

Adam Costello has just finished up at St Margaret’s High School Airdrie. He explains why he feels blessed to have had a Catholic education.

Transire bene faciendo.

My school’s motto and a lesson for not just us Catholics but every person in the country: To go through life doing good.

My 13 years at Catholic schools have now came to an end, both at All Saints in Airdrie then my senior school at St Margaret’s High I am rather sad it is over.

Catholic schools are quite rightly the pride of our Church in Scotland and now more than ever we need to treasure them. For me they have been a place of tolerance, charity, and real Faith.

It is where we are given the chance that others do not have. To go out in our communities, using our Faith to truly do good.

We produce pupils worthy of the Faith, worthy of their mottos and worthy of the saints that are their patrons. We produce doctors, teachers, athletes and writers.

It is something that is wonderful to see, something we should continue to nourish.

The stereotype of a breeding ground of hate and religious bigotry could not be more wrong, they are a place of love, hope, and opportunity. It is where children of all backgrounds can come together and be taught in a community with Catholic ethos.

That Catholic ethos for me was highlighted more than ever when two schools, communities and pupils came together through football to do good.

‘United in Faith’, we got sponsorships, guest appearances and raised £1,000 for local charity. This was done by young Catholic men in Airdrie and Coatbridge and was a beautiful sign of a simple yet effective way to use our shared Faith for the common good.

Personally, the most important part for me has been the friendships that I found at school and the experiences we shared. Doing the Caritas Award was a great example as it allowed me and my friends to come together through Faith.

At times we think of our religion as a boring thing but this changed all that, it gave a completely different aspect to life in the Church and doing so with your friends makes it all that bit more enjoyable.

I have been blessed with great chaplains both at primary and high school with Fr Hughes, Fr Breslin and Fr Delaney who have all connected with the pupils showing themselves as not just the priest we see at the weekend but someone who is a part of our everyday lives and our education.

A moment that I will never forget is just before we left I was told that this is not the end but merely the beginning of our journey and to take the Faith with me.

That’s what Catholic schools need to instil in every pupil: Take that Faith with you, embrace it, share it and use it in your future life.

Hold dear what those before you had treasured and pass our beautiful Faith on to the next generation.

Catholic school has been a wonderful experience, one that I would not change, results that not only go against the norms, but exceed them, and schools that produce pupils that truly do go through life doing good.

May Almighty God bless us, commend us and provide for us as we enter into the next part of our journey to serve Him.

S1 & S2 Netball

The S1 girls were runners up in the North Lanarkshire school league.
Team : G. Lambie, E. Smith, E. Watson, R. Henderson, Q. K. Agbonkhesi, O. Maguire, E. Martin, R. McShane, O. Neish, M. Barron, E. Mclean
S2 came third place in the North Lanarkshire school league.
Team: J. Toye, J. Love, A. Kirk, E. McManus, O. Carr, A. Caullay, P. Beveridge, T. Mawarire, M. Rapacka, N. Winiarz, E. Inglis, B. McGill
Congratulations to both teams on behalf of Mrs McNee, Miss Cairns and Miss Currie.

S3/4 Netball Team Win North Lanarkshire League

This afternoon or S3/4 netball team were presented with their medals and trophy from winning the North Lanarkshire League.  Previously the girls reached the semi-finals in the Scottish cup this year.

Team :- E. Kelly, R. Howard, A. Flannagan, K. McGuigan, J. Karolak, E. Henderson, P. Lafferty, M. Shaw, B. McGill
The coaches would like to congratulate the girls on their great achievement this year.
Mrs McNee, Miss Cairns, Miss Currie.

Author Visit – Mr Andy Bollen

On Wednesday 4th May we were delighted to welcome local author Andy Bollen to St Margaret’s High to speak to a group of pupils in the English department. A former pupil, Mr Bollen addressed members of the football team and aspiring authors, sharing his experiences of growing up in the local area and detailing about how his career as a writer first developed.

After reading from his works A History of Scottish Football in 100 Objects and Fierce Genius: Cruyff’s Year at Feyenoord, Mr Bollen led a discussion on all things football, from the politics of the local kickabout to a heated debate about the best number 10 ever to grace the field. He also read from his book Nirvana: A Tour Diary, sharing his experiences of touring with the famous American band at the height of their fame, a fascinating insight for all the music the fans in the room.

At the end of the visit, some young writers stayed behind to speak to Mr Bollen one-on-one. The author shared his tips on navigating the publishing industry and offered up some valuable writing advice, which the youngsters gladly welcomed.

We would like to thank Mr Bollen for taking time out of his day to visit us at St

Margaret’s High and we wish him the very best for the writing and publication of his upcoming works.

SCIAF

Last week, St Margaret’s welcomed SCIAF into the school. As part of an S1 R.E fundraiser focusing on the Ukraine crisis, we managed to secure a visit from SCIAF Ambassador, Vincent Raeburn.

Vincent, a tutor at University of the Glasgow, spent two whole days presenting to Mr McCormack and Mrs Miller’s S1, S2 and S3 classes. In these presentations Vincent explored the history of SCIAF, the vast amount of countries that SCIAF help and the different aid that SCIAF supply to those who are vulnerable.

We also learned the impressive work that SCIAF are carrying out to help those affected by the Ukrainian War.

Vincent was impressed with the behaviour of the pupils, and managed to identify particular individuals from each year group who asked insightful questions. Likewise, there was a positive response to the presentations and workshops, in particular a well response from the S1’s involved with the SCIAF – Ukraine fundraiser.

Post-visit the students’ eyes were opened to the help that SCIAF can deliver, which comes directly from fundraising. As a result of Vincent’s visit, the S1 students are determined to raise as much money as possible to help those involved with the Ukrainian crisis.

St Margaret’s thank Vincent for a great and informative few days!

S2 Pupils meet Anum Qaisar MP

Image

Today we welcomed Anum Qaisar MP to St. Margaret’s to meet with the four girls who took part in the Cyber First Girls competition.  After reaching the finals Anum wanted to meet with the girls to find out a bit more about the competition and their thoughts about STEM.  Anum kindly presented the girls with their certificates and goody bags from the National Cyber Security Center for taking part.