St. Margaret’s High School is a six year Catholic comprehensive and co-educational secondary school serving Airdrie, Chapelhall, Plains, Caldercruix, Greengairs, Longriggend, Glenmavis and Salsburgh.
St. Margaret’s H.S. was first opened in 1864 on Hallcraig Street in Airdrie. From those early beginnings it has developed into a large purpose built 6 year comprehensive school sited between Drumbathie Road and Waverley Drive. The new school was officially opened in 1974 and is the only Catholic secondary school serving Airdrie and the surrounding countryside.
At St. Margaret’s we believe that the partnership between parents and staff is essential. Here at St Margaret’s the important role which parents play in the education of their children is fully recognised and parents are actively encouraged to communicate with the school. Throughout the year there are meetings of parents at which the progress of your child can be discussed.
The school is based on a single site. The main teaching block is on five floors and includes a lift for pupils who have difficulties using the stairs. This block also houses the administration area. On the ground floor of the main block is the concourse, a large social area for pupils. Outwith the main block are specialised wings for science, art, drama, music and technical. The PE wing includes a games hall, three gyms and a multi-purpose theatre/PE area. Adjacent to the school is a sports and leisure complex with running track, astro-turf football pitch and other sports facilities which are used by the school by arrangement with North Lanarkshire Council.
St Margaret’s has traditionally been involved in many activities and pupils are encouraged to participate in one or more of the clubs on offer.