Week 1 – 11/1/21

Good Morning P4/5!

You should all have read the main Home Learning page on the blog to see what I am expecting from you for home learning. If you have any questions please post them on the comments page/Teams Page or email me.

Timetable

This is our weekly timetable for week 1. I have included basic instructions on it but please keep reading for more information on specific work for your groups. I have put a picture up and also a downloadable version incase you want to print or edit it for yourself.

Timetable Week 1 <——– click here to download.

Spelling

Here are your spelling words for this week. Your jobs are exactly the same as what we do in class each week. If you don’t have a dictionary at home then you can use google dictionary. There is an example of active spelling activities in the back of your spelling booklet. Remember your good openers for your sentences on Thursday. There will be a live spelling test on Friday morning at 10am. Make sure you have a jotter ready to join in.

Reading

I have assigned you all a new book on BugClub. These are the books we would be doing in class and the bugs are the session questions we would be answering. I will meet with each group throughout the week to discuss the books and additional tasks. See below for your task board for each reading session throughout the week. We will have a comprehension focus on Thursday and Grammar/Spelling on Friday.

The Twits

Reading Week 1 The Twits – Stage Fright! <—– click here for download.

The Witches

Reading Week 1 The Witches – Pizza at the Double. <—– click here for download.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Reading Week 1 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Flash the Dog Bounces In! <—– click here for download.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Reading Week 1 Fantastic Mr Fox – Dino Splashing <——- click here for download.

Writing

On Wednesday at 10am I will host a writing lesson. I will send you an invite for this. We will work together for the first session and you will all go away and continue after your break. I will be looking for you all to share something on Teams when you are finished but I will explain that on Wednesday. Resources will be emailed out at the start of the week.

Everyday I want you all to spend some time completing your times tables practice booklet. I have numbered the weeks in your booklet. There are 7 weeks worth of sheets – 1 for each day. When you start I want you to focus on completing it in 15 minutes. Set a timer for yourself and stop when it ends, even if you are not finished. The next day you should try to get a better score. When you are able to get them all right in less than 15 minutes, your next job is to try beating your time from the previous day. The questions will become more tricky as the weeks go on.

Meeting: Tuesday 11th January at 9.30am

Monday: Fractions TJ2a P100 + 101. We have done these pages. I just want you to remind yourself of where we were up to and ensure you remember what you are doing. If you are 100% confident with this then you don’t have to answer all of the questions, if you are unsure on any then try some of the questions again. Watch out for trick questions in the challenge at the end.
Tuesday: Meeting with Mrs Munro. We will be starting TJay 2a p102 (fractions of a quantity).
Wednesday and Thursday: Complete P102 and P103.
Friday: Go to the times tables section of your booklet and find the Ultimate Times Table Challenge. This week I want you to give yourself a 30 minute timer (we will shorten this as the weeks go on). Answer as many as you can in the time limit. I will post the answers on Friday afternoon for you to mark it. Each Friday we will see if we can beat our previous score. Hopefully this will help ingrain the tables. *hint* start with the easy ones.

Meeting: Monday 12th January at 1.30pm

Monday: Meeting with Mrs Munro. HAM1 book 4 p9. We will be reminding ourselves of what a fraction is and moving on from tenths to fifths.
Tuesday: HAM1 bk 4 p10
Wednesday: HAM1 bk 4 p11
Thursday: HAM1 bk 4 p12
Friday: Times tables section: Have a go at the multiplication dice games. If you don’t have a dice then try writing down the numbers 1 to 6 and closing your eyes then stop when you feel like it or write the numbers 1-6 on pieces of paper and choose 1 at random. This should be a bit of fun.

Extra practice if you want it!

Phonics, Spelling and Vocab booklet: You can try the next couple of pages although you need to make sure you read them. I am here to help so please just ask if you are stuck. Opposites and Number puzzles.
Spelling booklet: you can complete the next 2 pages in your booklet: Double letters before le and Double letters before other endings.
Maths booklet: The addition and subtraction section of the booklet has been put in for extra practice of tower sums. We have done this in class but we should keep practicing so we don’t forget how to do it. Don’t rush through it, take your time and remember this is extra practice.

Other

PE

I have put PE into your timetable 3 times this week. These times correspond with Joe Wicks live on Youtube. You don’t have to complete a Joe Wicks workout but I would love you to try and do something. This is a great way to start the day.
Here are some other ideas to keep active. Feel free to use these ideas at other times throughout the week, if you need a brain break or have some free time.
  • Go for a bike ride
  • Go for a run
  • Go a walk (with the family or dog)
  • Joe Wicks (The Body Coach) – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ
  • Cosmic Kids Yoga – https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
  • Jump Start Jonny – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8PDFwCV0HHcl08-1SzdiBw
  • Go Noodle – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2YBT7HYqCbbvzu3kKZ3wnw

Music

Mrs McDougall has set up her own music blog and will be setting activities for each class. As I will be in school, I have set this for you for Thursday. Make sure you share what you have been doing on the music blog or our Teams page.

Music with Mrs McDougall

PAThS Kid

We will all meet on Tuesday at 1.30pm to do PAThS Kid. I will share my screen and we will create a Word Art for whoever is chosen. This will be a nice chance to see everyone and have a small check in.

Class Quiz

As I know you all love a quiz, we will have a quiz on Wednesday at 1.30pm. We will start with a short quiz but I might make them longer in the following weeks. For this week we will stick to pencil and paper but I might try to use kahoot! later. This is not mandatory but feel free to join in.

Education City/SumDog

I have set aside some time on Thursday for SumDog and Education City. It is up to you if you want to use this time for this or catching up with work from earlier in the week. I will set a SumDog challenge and some games on Education City. Feel free to complete these whenever you want.

Draw with Rob

On Friday afternoon I have put up a link for Draw with Rob. This is a bit like Kids Art Hub but a bit different. This is a lovely mindfulness activity so feel free to do as many as you want. Feel free to pick whichever one stands out to you (there are more than 60). He uploads a new one each Saturday as well. Remember to share what you have done on Teams and upload it to your folder.