Week Beginning 11th May 2020

Good morning boys and girls and thanks for logging on to our class blog to check out what we will be doing in Week 4 of Term 4.

Mrs McDougall has posted a great Music lesson for you this week and I know she would love to hear from you! Also during our Team chat on Thursday Mrs McDougall shared that she had  been drawing her wee sausage dogs using a You Tube Art video. So the challenge has been set…Mrs McDougall would like you to try and draw her sausage dog and she will judge the winner on Thursday at our next Team chat! (Post on the Team page)

Learning Activity 1

Spelling

Below are your new spelling words for the week.  Copy or type these words out 3 times and pick ONE spelling activity from the grid, in link below, to complete each day. You should aim to do this every day and on Friday ask an adult to complete a spell check with your new words.

Primary 5 Diamonds SPELLING WORDS

Primary 5 Group Rubies SPELLING WORDS

Primary 5 Pearls SPELLING WORDS

Primary 4 Group Sapphires SPELLING WORDS

Primary 4 Group TopazSPELLING WORDS

Spelling Activity Grid (click on link below and choose an activity to complete)

T-L-4879-Spelling-Selection-Activities (1)

***********Try out the free spelling games on the links below************

http://https://pbskids.org/games/spelling/

If pbs link above does not work copy the url and paste manually

Learning Activity 2

Reading

Mrs Manning would like you to focus on the reading from the Bug Club resource that I have allocated to your reading group for Week 3 of Term 4. Read the text and download the the assessment work I have set. (You will not be able to type on PDF worksheets) Please try and return completed written work to me by the end of the week. (Word process answers, save and attach to Glow email and send to me or take a picture of completed written work and send in.) I will assess and provide feedback. I can  check and keep a record that you have completed the reading on Bug Club and of your score for the comprehension test for each book.

Primary 5

Horowitz Blue A

This weekʼs teaching focuses on Chapters 1 and 2 of A Tale of Two Poggles. Chapters 1 and 2 have been allocated to your  Bug Club library.

Activity 1 Question Sheet

Activity 2

Activity 3 write an advert

Activity 4

Horowitz Grey

This weekʼs teaching focuses on ʻThe Race to the Poleʼ in Daring Deeds. The book has been allocated to your Bug Club.

Activity 1 Question Sheet

Activity 2 Definitions

Activity 3 (2)

Activity 4 Interview

Morpurgo Grey 

This weekʼs teaching focuses on pages 1-11 of Death of the Dinosaurs and  on pages 12-24 of Death of the Dinosaurs. The text has been allocated to your Bug Club library.

Pages 1-11

Activity 1 Question Sheet

Activity 2 Definitions

Activity 3 (2)

Pages 12-24

Activity 1 Questions

Activity 2

Activity 3

Activity 4

Primary 4

Walliams Group Brown B

This weekʼs teaching focuses on pages 12-19 of Hot Spots and Other Extreme Places to Live.. The story has been allocated to your Bug Club library.

Activity 1 Question Sheet

Activity 2 Definitions

Activity 3

Activity 4 Interview

Rowling Group White Level

Pirate and Potter Family guided reading notes

Pirate PCM

Learning Activity 3

Writing Activity

Writing Instructions (Procedural Writing)

Learning how to write instructions is an important skill. Instructions are written for someone who needs to know how to do something. There are lots of occasions when you might need to use this writing skill e.g  giving someone directions, how to play a game, how to make something, cooking instructions, how to wash your hands etc.
Always remember the following rules below when writing instructions:
  1. Write in the present tense.
  2. Use imperative verbs and adverbs to begin each step. (Start sentences with verbs like put, take, pour, cut etc.)
  3. Use numbers to sequence the steps/instructions
  4. Use topic words.
  5. Create clear and concise simple sentences.

First watch the powerpoint and this will show you what good clear instructions look like.

How to write instructions powerpoint

Next look at criteria sheet below for good clear instructions. Read this over and print off if you can.

Self Assessment sheet for writing instructions

Next decide what you are going to write instructions for. I have provided you with some ideas and templates but you dont have to use these…YOU DECIDE!!!

Template for writing instructions cooking

Templates for writing instructions

Learning Activity 4

Numeracy and Maths

Primary 5

Learning Intention: To be able to convert between litres and millilitres

To complete this block of work on Volume Mrs Manning would like you to download the worksheet she has made up converting between litres and millilitres. We worked a lot  in class multiplying and dividing by 10 and 100 and also we extended the rule to multiply/divide by 1000.  If you need any help we can hold an extra video call however do your best. Try the extension challenge…you know our class motto it doesn’t matter if you get it wrong, give it a try!!

Litres and Millilitres work sheet

****NEW MATHS TOPIC ******

Volume of Shapes

The first step in learning how to calculate the volume  of a 3D shape is to understand that the volume of a shape is simply the ‘amount of space’ it takes up. The unit of volume you are going to use to measure volume is the ‘cubic centimetre’ or for short 1cm3 (reads as one cm cubed children and the 3 should be smaller and raised off line)

First Step:

Watch the introduction powerpoint below and you will understand  a lot better children.

Volume of shapes activity powerpoint.

In the powerpoint it refers to measuring in cubic units. When writing volume answers in tasks below please use notation ‘cubic centimeteres’

Activity 1 volume

Next Step:

To make it easier to count the number of cm 3 (cm cubed) or units you can count the number on the top layer of the shape. How many layers does it have and then calculate total volume Good luck!!! Now try Volume activity 2.

Volume Activity 2

Volume Activity 3

Next steps: Finding the volume of cuboid using a formula V (volume)- l (length) xb (breadth) x h (height)

Primary 4

Learning Intention: to be able to measure and draw using cm and mm.

Centimetres and Millimetres on a Ruler

Each centimetre (cm) is split into equal parts called millilitres (ml).

1 cm  =  10 mm

Activity 1

Watch the powerpoint ‘Comparing Lengths’ on the link below.

Lesson Presentation Comparing Lengths

Work through the examples on the powerpoint above. When you get to the section in the powerpoint where it asks you to try the assessment sheets, click on the link below to download these. These are differentiated so challenge yourself. Start with * then try ** and then try *** Good luck!

Activity 2

Differentiated Activity Sheets Comparing Lengths

Activity 3

Extension Compare Lengths-Dive into Mastery

Primary 4/5 Number Practice

All of the Number challenges below are differentiated

Select at least 3 activities from the number challenges below to complete. Remember it is important to practice tables regularly and keep up your mental agility with number.

Numeracy Task chilli challenge addition  **** New Activity****
Numeracy Challenge  **** New Activity*****
Multiplication chilli challenge ******New Activity******

****Tables Practice**** Check out activities below

Times Tables Practice Booklets

Y3-Multiplication-and-Division-SolveIt-Lesson-Pack_ver_1 (1)*** Really Good Resource***

Multiplication-and-Division-Challenge-Cards

Learning Activity 5

Health and Well Being

SCHOOL VISION, VALUES and AIMS

We are all really being challenged during this lockdown and one of the biggest challenges for you boys and girls is distance learning!! Our school visions,values and aims is at the heart of everything we do in school and it will help you meet this challenge!

There may be some of your class mates thinking I am really struggling to motivate myself and get my work completed on the class blog or I can’t be bothered I’d much rather watch TV or play a game. As a learning community in our class and in our school we all have to help and support each other.

Activity

So this week I would like you to come up with 3 good pieces of advice that keep you motivated to do your school work.(e.g. set time aside each day, keep to school hours, complete a task each day, get into a good routine, I like to keep busy, I feel I’m achieving something, I enjoy my free time better when I complete a piece of work, I know it is important that I keep learning) etc.

You can display as a poster, picture, powerpoint….I am leaving it up to you. Can you post them on the TEAM page please they can act as an inspiration to us all!