I HEART SCOTLAND

The Travelling Gallery’s Spring 2014 exhibition, I HEART SCOTLAND, is a solo show and takes a refreshing look at how contemporary artist Rachel Maclean, has chosen to explore her ideas about Scottish national identity.

Issues around power, culture, politics and history are raised together with romanticism and folktales – all through Rachel’s ingenious use of costume performance, digital photography, film and installation.

By means of dark humour and remarkable technical skills, Rachel offers insightful and shrewd observations on these and other significant themes, creating a complex and surreal vision of modern Scotland in what is certainly an important year for people to ponder its future.

The I HEART SCOTLAND exhibition includes work that was commissioned, published and produced by Edinburgh Printmakers Workshop for her very successful exhibition there during the 2013 Edinburgh Art Festival.

So far, touring mainly to Secondary schools, we have visited venues accross Angus, Edinburgh, Midlothian and the Highlands where the installation has stimulated lots of discussion and created quite a buzz of excitement amongst pupils and teachers alike. Look at our website to see where we will be for the next leg of the tour…