Generation Science

A fantastic morning of Science learning was had by P3-P7 pupils at Portpatrick School.  Generation Science visited the school with their ‘Cosy Cosy’ workshop, which looked at teaching pupils about home insulation and how to save energy in the home.
Some very complex Science was being explored during the workshop and really had the mini scientists thinking about insulation, conductors, energy, conservation and a lot more!
The pupils had an exciting challenge to see who could insulate their model houses the best to conserve the most amount of energy and create the highest temperature.  The scientists leading the workshop reported that Portpatrick school had created the highest temperatures out of all the schools so this was a great achievement – they had obviously been listening well!

Eco-Friendly Beach and Park Clean

As part of their Eco-Friendly School duties, all pupils headed down to Portpatrick beach for a big clean up.  Loaded with protective gloves, waterproofs and bin bags, the pupils worked hard to collect in all the litter to leave their community beach sparkling clean.  We were pleasantly surprised at how little litter there was on the beach so it didn’t take long!  The school then headed to the local park and collected some more rubbish there… and had a quick play on the swings as a reward for their hard work in the cold weather!

The hard work didn’t stop there though!  On returning back to school, the children thought it would be a good idea to have a school clean!  So all children scoured the school grounds for any excess rubbish.

This was an important lesson in learning respect for their community and surroundings! 🙂

Spectacular Solar Eclipse!

Portpatrick School made the most of an exciting hour of wonder during the first solar eclipse since 1999.  Pupils were issued with UV protective glasses to watch the solar eclipse happen and, in pairs, all took turns to see the amazing spectacle!
Pupils were told of the many dangers of looking at the sun directly.  All pupils behaved so well and I am sure the experience of the solar eclipse will remain a special memory to them all.. until the next one!

Portpatrick’s Got Talent Final 2015

To help fundraise for Comic Relief On Friday 13th March, pupils at Portpatrick Primary School took part in their very own ‘Portpatrick’s Got Talent’.  Pupils auditioned for a place in the final showcase and the very best acts were put through.  Talents included gymnastics, dancing, singing, magic, yoyo tricks and ball skills.  One act even had some cross dressing comedy and another showcased accurate recognition of approximately 45 different flags of countries around the world!

A judging panel consisting of Barbara Rogers (the school’s masterchef!) and Pat Mercer, a retired employee of the school, were invited along to judge performances on talent, skill, preparation and entertainment value.

Joint 1st place was awarded to Rowan Harbottle, for memorising over 70 countries flags and Lara Cole for an excellent dance to Olly Murs Wrapped Up.

2nd place went to Abbigale Henry for her performance of Ellie Goulding How Long Will I love You and  and joint 3rd place was awarded to Abbi Johnstone for singing ‘Let it Go’ from Frozen and Ruth Belton for her fantastic trumpet skills.  A special prize was given to Olivia Cumming for her magic tricks as there was an extra special effort made in her performance.

A personal highlight to the show was the transformation of Finn, Callum and Magnus in to some snazzy dressed young ladies in heels and handbags.  This provided plenty of laughter for the audience!

Parents and friends of the community were also invited along to watch the performances and a great time was had by all. Parents were asked to bring along a donation towards Comic Relief and pupils purchased official Red Nose Day Noses to increase the fundraising total.

Curling success

Well done to the combined Leswalt /Portpatrick team of Rhona, Freya, Kathryn and Ruth who were runners up in the inter-school primary curling bonspiel.  This competition was open to all Primary schools in Wigtownshire and Ballantrae.  The girls won 3 out of the 4 games, and were only beaten by the eventual winners, Rephad Primary.  They were supported and coached throughout the day by Mrs Beryl Niven.  Have a look at the photograph at how happy they all are with their prizes!  Watch out Eve Muirhead and team, these girls are good!

Bonspiel - March 15

P6 and 7 trip to Stronord

The Primary 6 and 7 pupils from Portpatrick recently had an active 2 days of outdoor education, at Stronord.  They were invited along to join the senior pupils of Leswalt Primary.  Have a look at the fun they had!

On 26.02.2015 P6-7’s from Portpatrick and Leswalt went to Stronord outdoor learning centre first we were introduced to Alex, Robbie, Andy and David we went to our dormitories and chose our bunk beds after that we got suitable clothes on and then we had a talk about safety also Alex was showing us suitable clothes to wear like walking boots, water proofs and a rucksack with our lunch in it also extra water proofs so just incase for and emergency.So then we headed to the hill then started to climb up it also it took us 3 and half hours to get up and down the hill after we got to the top it started to hailstone. When we got back to our dormitories we got our dinner and we got Bathgate came and put out some Easter eggs and there was a treasure hunt to find them all then we had to go to bed but some of us were playing a matching game.Then in the morning we got breakfast and then Alex, Robbie , David and Andy came and we went orienteering and we had a race then after that we went mounting biking after the day was nearly finished we went home.
Kelsey Stevenson
On the 26th of February 2015 Portpatrick and Leswalt Primary school went to a residential trip at Stronord outdoor learning centre. We went with Colin Belton, Mrs Bathgate, Kelly Mcreadie and Ms.Whorlow. The reason we went there was to improve are skills and confidence for the future.We got to the school at 8:45 and at 9:00 a Mcullochs bus came and picked us up. It was a 35 minute bus trip until we got to the centre. When we got there we met are instructors (Alexzander, Robertson, Davidson and Andrew.) We had a few snacks and then the instructors told us what we were going to do and wear. We went out to the garage and were fitted with appropriate clothing. We set off on the bus.After a 20minute bus drive we had reached are destination. We saw a massive waterfall and a few carved stones before we stopped for are first snack. Then I fell into a 6 inch deep puddle . We kept walking until we got to the death bridge. I took one step. Then another. I slipped. But I was fine. We got to the top of a hill and there was a massive Blizzard we got into a massive huddle and I was squashed. I really enjoyed the hill walking and would like to do it again.We got back to the centre and we had our dinner Pizza and chips it was delicious. A few people helped to clean the tables while others went outside to play. After we had been out for about 1 hour we went back inside and in to are dormitory I played on my I pod and ate a few sweets I was in the bottom bunk below Jack. At nine it was lights off .I got out of bed ready for day 2. At 9 o clock the instructors came there was one we hadn’t met yet and he was called Andrew he was there to help us with the mountain biking. It was a 8 minute drive in the minibus, Once we got there we were split into 2 groups of twelve. I did orienteering first Robertson told us how to read a map and what we would be doing. We walked into the forest and were set out in pairs with a map and we had to find numbers. Next we had a race round the forest while we were orienteering  Connor and I had done one thing in 42 seconds – the best. Next was mountain biking Alexzander fitted us with the correct safety equipment and the right bike. For once I didn’t get the smallest bike – Finlay did. Alexander also tested our ability by making sure we could break and turn corners. We cycled Up and down hills through trees and other amazing routes. I found out that we were riding on the 7 staines routes (the 7 best mountain biking routes in Scotland.)  We went across a 1ft path with a 30ft dam at one side and a deep loch at the other side. We had a choice of walking across or riding across I decided to ride across. I made it across alive. We crossed another one but not as big. We cycled back to the minibus and Alexzander Fitted the bus with the bikes and off we went. We got back to the centre and the bus came at 3:20. On the way back I played on my I pod and talked to Connor. I got dropped off at my house.I found Stronord really fun and I learnt lots of new skills and it was a good experience.

Magnus Ross

On the 28th of February 2015, Portpatrick and Leswalt primary went on a school trip for an overnight stay at Stronord to do fun and existing out-door learning. We went to stay for two full days and one night .

When we arrived off the bus we got introduced to be leaders for the activity’s, who were Alex, Robbie, Andy and David. They firs told us a little bit about them and then they told us what we were going to do and how.

First we had to get are appropriate clothing like waterproofs, hats and walking boots. After we got a mini bus to the place where we were going to be walking. Then we started walking up a long, but tall mountain. The first thing that amazed everyone was the gigantic waterfall, and then we entered a maze that had carved faces on the wood. The scariest thing was when we all had to cross the death bridge which was an old bridge that had missing pieces of wood and some parts were wobbly. finally we got up and it took us about three hours but that was only up then we had to go back down ! Just before we were going to eat lunch at the top a massive hail stone storm came and nobody could see a thing.

Before we got into our rooms and into bed we stayed up for about an hour and played about and then we were all lying in bed just talking, when Abbigale started sleep talking in her sleep, by the time it was morning we all couldn’t believe that we made it through the night because we went to bed at 11 o’clock and woke up at 7 o clock.

Then we were on our next activity witch was orienteering, first we were put into groups one group doing bike riding and the other group doing orienteering. We were given maps to find the correct number with a partner.  Lara and I  got little plugs that count how many minutes we took .  It was a race and me and Lara decided to go last and we overtook everyone,  apart from two pairs. Our time was 10 minutes and 34 seconds.

Next we swapped over and we did bike riding up and down long bumps also some muddy puddles. Our bikes were all different sizes and there was a part when there was a lane but to one side of it was a 30 feet and to the other side was a big lake so you had to ride straight through it.

I enjoyed the bike riding the most and I learnt to always take appropriate clothing with you.

By Isla Carter P6

On the 26 of February Portpatrick and Leswalt School went to Stronornd outdoor learning centre to have fun and to learn different skills. When we were there we had lots of fun because we were mountain walking, mountain biking and orienteering.

When we arrived at the centre we got introduced to Alex, Robbie and David these were our instructors for our trip. First we went and arranged who was sleeping were. I was on the bottom bunk .

After that we went and got ready to go hill walking so we would need sensible clothing because it was very cold and wet. Next we got into mini buses and they took us to our destination the mountain. The first thing I saw was the beautiful waterfall in the background I could hear it splash against the rocks and the tiny waves as we went past. When we were walking our boats were getting muddy and wet. Then we came across a stone wall with carved faces on witch I found very unusual because I have never seen that before. It was very tiring walking up the hill because we were walking for about 3 and a half hours. When we got to the top we were having a rest but then suddenly a strong blizzard of hail came raining down on us. We could hear them hitting and bouncing of us. It made us very cold so we bunched up in a huddle to keep warm. Once it stopped we started to walk down the hill. Then after a long time of walking we finally reached the bottom of the mountain. I was proud of myself because it was hard and I had never done it before but I was relieved to be finish and go back to the centre to rest.

When we got back we had a little rest and then we had our tea to fill us up then we had a great time hanging out with each other, playing outside, chatting and playing games but mostly having FUN!!!!! We also got chocolate cake with ice cream it was delicious. After a while we were sent to our dormitories but the girls still had fun because we were doing each other’s hair.  Finally, everyone went to sleep.

In the morning we all got dressed, washed and had our breakfast. Once we did that we went outside to play until the instructors came back. When they arrived we got our rucksack ready to go. Next we got split into 2 groups then put in the mini buses to be taken to the forest. My group did orienteering first. The first thing we needed to do was to orientate our maps so they were facing the right way. Next we were put into patterns and given different maps to find numbered controls to see how we coped with it . My partner and I found five controls out of 6 and I think we got the most out of our group. Next we got different maps again to do a circuit round the forest but we were timed to see how long it took us my partner and I came second but by a couple of minutes we got 10 minutes and 34 seconds.

After that, my group went on to mountain biking next. First we needed to get the right sized bike, gloves and helmet so we were safe uncase we fell of and just to make sure we are safe. Before we started our instructor made sure we could brake properly uncase we went down a steep hill. My favourite part of the mountain biking was when we went on a very narrow path with a 30ft droop on one side and a lake on the other so it was a bit scary but I managed to do it. When we were on our bikes we could hear birds chirping songs in the distance it sounded very peaceful. We also followed quite hard routes throughout the forest so it was very fun and interesting. I wasn’t that confident on bikes before but now I am much more confident and I gave myself lots of challenges on this task.

I enjoyed this school trip because I gave myself lots of challenges and I was able to do them so I am proud of myself. I would love to do it again another time.  My favourite activity was the mountain because I had the most fun but I enjoyed them all so much. I learned that you need to ware sensible clothing and a pack more layers and extra waterproofs in your rucksack. Over all I learned a lot of things and enjoyed everything that we did so overall it was the best school trip EVER!!!!!!!!

Lara Cole

On Thursday the 26th of February Portpatrick and Leswalt left in a bus to go to Stronord Activity Centre near Newton Stewart. We were going to Stronord to have fun walking up hills and going mountain biking. We had two supervisors that came with us which were Mr Belton (Ruth’s Dad) and Mrs Bathgate (Teacher Of The Big Class At Leswalt) Mr Belton kept an eye on all of the boys and Mrs Bathgate kept an eye on all of the girls.

When we arrived at the activity centre everybody had to put there bags on the bed they wanted and get on their waterproofs and sit down at a table with our friends. When all of the people that work there arrived they explained to us what you are meant to do then we set off. After a 20 minute drive we finally reached our destination. Once we knew what we had to do we were just getting started to walk up one of the Galloway hills. I have never actually walked up a hill as big before. We stopped at the top when a very large hail storm started and everybody had to huddle to protect themselves. Walking up the huge hill was fun especially coming back down.

We went back to the activity centre to have our tea I had pizza and chips the same as all of my other friends it was delicious. One we had our tea we had pudding we all had chocolate cake with ice cream it was delicious as well. When we were finished with everything I had to help clear all of the tables. When I had finished all of the tables we all went outside to have fun. We then had an easter egg hunt I only got one though. After all, night time was very fun and I had all of my friends with me.

The next morning we all woke up and had breakfast . Eventually we got the room tidy then we went outside and played hide and seek. It was fun .

After we played hide and seek we had to go inside.

Once we got inside Ms. Whorlow arrived, about 2 minutes later the instructors arrived we all went and got on our waterproofs on again.

We all the jumped into our bus’s and about 5 minutes down the road we arrived at our destination. The instructors explained to us what we were going to do we were then given our selves a bike that fitted us we then set off. We were to follow a really bumpy road we then eventually found one of the worlds best mountain bike trails called the seven stanes it was so fun because we cycled down huge steep hills and through deep puddles it was my best mountain bike experience ever! We then had to cycle over a 30 feet damn which was fun but scary at the same time

Finn Marshall.

P5-7 Science – “Electrostatics” -video link lesson

Primary 5-7 had their final Science lesson via video link with Heather Reid, the former weather reporter.

Today they had a series of experiments to investigate how electrostatic charges are produced and a demonstration and discussion on the force of gravity.

The children were able to investigate how an electrostatic force can make objects move without touching them.  They learned  how an electrostatic force occurs when there is an imbalance between negative and positive charges in an object, and how rubbing some objects can cause negative charges to be transferred.

It was a fun, active science session.

This series of Science lessons will be concluded with a whole school trip up to Glasgow Science sentre, in a few weeks time.

P5-7 Pancake making fun

Primary 5, 6, and 7 had belated pancaked making fun at Portpatrick Primary.  They called upon a variety of skills in the process;
  1. language – following instruction texts
  2. weighing – g, measuring – ml,
  3. interpreting recipe to combine ingredients
  4. Tasting and applying sensory descriptors to the experience
  5. Working collaboratively
  6. Identifying food groups present in the food
  7. Evaluating and improving recipes to improve health e.g. adding a side portion of fruit
As well as using all of the skills above, they had fun!  See the photographs for evidence.