Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

P5 explore the Pack Road from Carsphairn to Polmaddie

Have a look at our photographs of our hillwalk from Carsphairn to Polmaddie along the old Pilgrim Road which Mary Queen of Scots used on her way to visit Whithorn in 1566.

We all walked on paths that Mary Queen of Scots walked on. It is hard to see some of the path today. (Eilidh)

We learned about contour lines and 6 figure numbers on the map. (Carlie)

We used contour lines to help us read the map. (Michalina and Jake)

I think it was unfair that people walked this road in bare feet or with wooden clogs which must have hurt so much. (Ellie) It was squelchy. (Tommy)

We travelled on a bus which is modern and in 1566 Mary Queen of Scots would have used a horse. (Logan)

You didn’t have cars in the old days so you would need to walk or perhaps have a horse. This is us on the old road. (Cameron)

It was quite hard reading the map but we did it. I learned to put the map the right way round so I could match it to the land. (Fraser)

Today we have clothes to keep us warm and boots so our feet don’t get sore. (Jamie and Tomas)

The Christian crosses stood up to lead the way to the first ever church in Scotland. (Robbie)

I went on the five mile walk and the distance was easy because I am fit. (Holly)

We sued our maps to look for features and we found hills, woodland and rivers. (Emily and Mylie)

We found shooting butts where people used to hide and then shoot birds. we went inside the butt. (Emily and Mylie)

It is a pity the stone has been pushed over. We wonder who carved it?

We did wax rubbings of the crosses to find out what they looked like. (Tyler and Teigan)

It was hard walking along the old road sometimes. A lot of people got stuck in the mud. (Ryan and Jack)

We felt tired with our heavy bags. We felt like we were the Queen’s servants. (Megan and Catrina)

We went over hills and inside old houses at a ruined village. It was hard work. (Lewis)

We measured an old house. It only had two rooms. One for the family and one for the animals.