Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Weekly News – March 16th

Our Weekly School News

Sharing our learning with the school community.

School News

There is a Parent Council meeting at 7pm on Monday. Meetings are open to all parents and new members are very welcome. Please do think about coming along, your support is much appreciated.

Next Friday is Sport Relief Day. Pupil are very welcome to come to school dressed in Sports kit. P2 and P2/3 classes will be sharing Sports Relief  news at an Assembly and also organizing fund raising activities for the rest of the school. Pupils are invited to bring a small donation towards Sports relief funds.

Some Class News

Primary 1

We have been looking for bears around school as Ben our class bear thought he saw one at the weekend – we took Ben and Brambles on our Bear Hunt. We stopped and had our snack in the Nature Garden – we had to be careful the bear didn’t see us! We have been reading We’re Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen.

We created new settings for the book:

A setting Frankie says takes place in the book.

Zoe’s new setting was “a polar bear section with snowy woods.”

Rory created “a beach with loads of shells.”

Morgan “the beach”

Floyd and Nell worked on creating a beach setting.

Lily “I liked doing my maths, writing my numbers.”

Frankie “I liked writing the facts about bears.”

Angus “I made a boat for me and my big brother at the craft table.”

A new arrival in the Gordon household – Frankie has a new baby brother, Albert Gordon – congratulations.

Primary 1/2

The topic of our town is off to a great start this week. We have been making our own Castle Douglas in class and made buildings this week. We have also been having visitors into our class to tell us about the jobs they do in Castle Douglas. Thank you to all the visitors so far!

Primary 2

We have been learning to recognise the greater than and smaller than symbols in number work using crocodiles.

We are planning a healthy meal using the Healthy food plate.

Noah moved up from the Yellow group to the Blue group at swimming.

Kahlen said her Rainbow promise this week. Imogen, Nicole, Kahlen and Amber were awarded the All About Me Badge

.

It’s our Assembly next week. All family members are invited.  Everyone in the school is being asked to wear sports clothes and bring a small donation for Sports Relief.

Primary 2/3

We have started to learn our words and the song for our assembly.

We have played French Bingo using numbers to 20.

Quite a few of us got our Silver certificates this week. The rest are nearly there – keep trying hard.

We made posters with P2 to advertise our assembly around the school.

Also we made invitations to the assembly on the computer.

Primary 3

This week some of us have started working on our multiplication. We have been learning our two, five and ten times tables. We have got much more confident as the week has gone on!

“I found it a bit tricky to begin with but I find it easier now” – Freya

“I really enjoyed learning my times tables” – Lexi

We have all still very interested in the sparrow that is nesting in our school bird box. We discovered last week that it can be very tricky for animals to get food in cold weather, so we made some fat balls for the birds to eat. We are also hoping that this will encourage more birds to our school grounds. We are looking forward to seeing if we can spot any birds eating the food we made them!

“It felt really gooey” – McKenzie

“The bird food smelled a bad!” – Lewis

I don’t think we would enjoy eating that but hopefully the birds will” – Isla McF.

In topic we looked at some of the machinery that farmers use to help them to do their job. We then created a new piece of machinery that we thought would help farmers. We have also been talking about food miles and locally produced food – we thought of advantages and disadvantages of each one. “We needed to look at machinery that farmers already use to make sure we thought of something new to help them” – Freya

“We had to use our imagination to think of a new invention” – Kianna

We have also been learning how to say different foods in French with Mrs De Silva and practicing our racket skills in P.E. with Mrs Hart and football skills with Lewis.

“We had to show Mrs Hart the forehand and the backhand” – Becky

“We learned how to serve” – Kianna

Pupil Wider Achievement

Isla McF and Holly went to a gymnastics competition at the weekend.

Riley has learned how to swim on his back.

Saffron has started football club.

Kianna has learned how to do a cartwheel.

Well done to all.

Primary 3/4

This week P3/4 have been working very hard making props and practising for our performance of the Giant Jam Sandwich.

Lily says “everyone has learned their lines well.”

Maxi says “we have been painting the background and making good props.”

In maths we have been learning to tell the time. Lhlyaijana said “we have been learning quarter to and quarter past.”

In topic we have been drawing and labelling Mr & Mrs Eejit.

We also had a visit from Stella for our Adopt a Cow sessions. Alannah says “we were learning about the body and all the things in milk that help us.” Freya  enjoyed drawing the skeletons.

Primary 4

P4 waved au revoir to our visiting teacher Laetitia. She came to Scotland from Nancy-Metz in France. During her visit to Castle Douglas Primary she experienced all aspects of Scottish education. P4 had been emailing and sending letters to Laetitia’s class in France ahead of her visit. Laetitia visited lots of classes in the school, read the children stories and spoke about French culture and language.

“I enjoyed listening to Goldie Locks (or Boucle D’or) and the Three Bears being read in French”- Douglas.

“It was nice that we could tale Laetitia on our class trip and show her our Scottish countryside”- Lucy.

“I hope you enjoyed your week at our school and learned lots. Thank you for our gifts. You are very welcome at Castle Douglas Primary”- P4.

Reece, Erin, Skye and Ruby all took part in a gymnastics competition in Paisley. All girls are proud of their achievements on the day. Well done!!

Primary 4/5

This week in P4/5 we have been learning about electricity. We made electrical circuits using batteries to power a lightbulb.

Amy -” I now know that electricity cannot run through plastic because it is an insulator”.

Rosie – ” We used a switch to help the electricity flow round the circuit”.

Primary 5

This week our class have been busy doing Samson Maths and have also enjoyed doing more work on our topic, Democracy.

We have been making some patterns with shapes on Word in the computer suite. We’ve also enjoyed listening to our audio book, Awful Auntie which is a story about a young girl who is looked after by her evil Auntie who tries to get her to sign over the deeds to Saxby Hall.

Primary 5/6

We have been holding interviews to investigate our murder mystery.

Mati thinks Mrs Hope is guilty.

Noah S doesn’t think Mrs Cunningham’s story adds up.

We will start our Science investigations next week.

Mya – “In maths we have been learning about number patterns.”

Heidi did her first pre-championship for Highland Dancing and was 2nd.

Miriam played ‘on the swing’ on the piano for us. It was a Jazz tune.

Good luck to Jaimie-Leigh for her football match at the weekend.

Primary 6

“I have been learning how to create a pattern with cubes and chalk.” – Leland

“I have been creating difficult number, shape and colour patterns.” – Cameron

“We have learned about constellations and star signs. My star sign is Cancer.” – Sam

“It was fun learning about balancing and rolling in PE with P3/4. We even got to use the climbing frame.” – Sophie

“We were doing abstract art using water colour.” – Isla A

Primary 6/7

As part of challenge to achieve Technology outcomes, we are trialling Kapla blocks from the D & G STEAM team. We have experimented with them and developed understanding of engineering principles.

In topic, we continue to learn about WW2 and have been discussing the events before, during and after D Day.

We are half way through our class novel “The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.”

We have completed our animations and a selection are available to view   – click to download animations by   –

Craig

Callie

Dylan

Primary 7

“It was very fun working with perspective during art this week”- Lewis.

” I thought the yoga session we had on Thursday was very relaxing”- Sophie.

” I’m excited about our new reading books we have in class. They are really good”-Becky.

“I enjoyed making Mango lassie in class this week”-Madison.

Lewis has been working on computer programming at home this week. Marisa can now ride her horse independently. Taylor played his first game for St Cuthberts this week and they won! Well done also to Madison and Kelton who came first in a decimal challenge.

Reminders for Next Week

P1 – Trip on Monday 19th March to Doach Woods – remember warm clothes.  Sharing trip photographs on Friday 23rd March in classroom at 2:30pm.  Homework project due in on Monday 19th March.

P2/3 – Assembly is on Friday 23rd March at 9:15am.

P3 – Learning Conversations on Wednesday and Thursday.

What’s in the news – if children find a newspaper article they are interested in, please bring it to school to share with the class

P3/4 – Could all costumes for the performance be brought in for Monday. Many thanks Mrs Boardman.

P6 – Our Space Project is due on the 19th. The class have PE on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

P6/7 – Anderson Shelter projects in for Monday. No more Thursday football until after the Easter Holidays (letters in bags.)  PE Kit required for a Tuesday.

P7 – Reminder that next Thursday is India Day.