Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Weekly News – February 23rd

Our Weekly School News

Sharing our learning with the school community.

(More photographs are on our school website. Comments on our activities are also very welcome on the Website posts – click on the small comments link underneath each Post heading.)

School News

The school photographer will be in school next Tuesday, 27th February to take individual and family photos of all children from P1-P7.

A separate date has been allocated for our Nursery children (Tuesday 6th March). A text has been sent to all parents asking for a response as to whether an individual or a family photo is required. Please reply to this text by close of school on Monday if you wish a photo to be taken. If no reply is received then we will assume that no photo is required.

20 Sponsor Day.
A reminder that we have our main fund-raiser of the year on Thursday next week. Each class has chosen a challenge based on a theme of ‘20’. All the money raised will be used to subsidise learning activities for our pupils e.g. transport for class visits and Golden Time activities. We would not be able to offer these without this valuable financial support.

World Book Day Thursday 1st March 2018

Children are allowed to dress up as their favourite book character. We are also having a book sale for which any donations of books would be much appreciated. Books will be on sale from 10p – 30p.

Some Class News

Primary 1

We’ve been learning about symmetry in Maths. Frankie liked “drawing our faces ” for symmetry selfies.

Eva enjoyed playing snakes and ladders and Lily liked “learning about Bears – it’s our new topic’. ” We are going to make bear masks “said Clay. Floyd -.”I have been playing in the bear cave with Frankie”.

Evie – “We have been playing a matching game card game with Mrs McMath, Elsa and Eilidh.

Zoe has gone to “level green” -which is third in swimming.

We had a party for Miss Menzies this morning and we wish her well at her new school on Monday.

Primary P1/2

Busy week in P1/2. One activity we really enjoyed was outdoor maths using our knowledge of directions. Lots of good partner work.

Primary 2

We have been learning about the words certain, likely, unlikely and impossible doing various activities.

We have been learning about our topic – The Weather.

We have been looking at weather symbols and what we want to learn about.

Primary 2/3

We have enjoyed working on our Maths. We completed our Katie Morag paintings this week.

Primary 3

This week we have started working on money. We have been using different coins to make different amounts.

We have also been learning about what foods are grown or made in Scotland.

We also learned all about the importance of washing our hands by using hand cream and glitter to show areas that we sometimes miss.

Primary 3/4

This week P3/4 have had a very busy week. We had our first farm visit to Roan’s Dairy to begin our Adopt a Cow program. At the farm we were lucky to see the unborn calf on a sonagram.
Lhlyaijana said ” It was unusual to get to see it”.
Shea really enjoyed seeing the cows being milked in the robotic milker. He said “It was really exciting”.
Maxi said ” he saw some beautiful calves”.
Jesse-Leigh enjoyed seeing the bull Gordie.
“We also got to see the old milking parlour” – Alanah.

In P.E. we finished our hockey block with some great matches.

In Maths we created outdoor pictures with sticks trying to make as many right angles as possible.

P3/4 got some other exciting news this week. We found out that our application to the Scottish Book Trust had been selected and means we will be performing an adaption of a picture book to Julia Donaldson (Gruffalo Author), then watch our performance then get to meet her afterwards.

Katie got a certificate in gymnastics for her kickover and backwalk.

Shea won a medal at a football birthday party.

Alannah got her first aid badge at Brownies.

Primary 4

We have been exploring newspaper articles to learn about what is happening in our local community, and wider world. This is helping us to grow into global citizens. We have read and shared interesting articles from home, linking this to our learning about facts and opinions.  Some reasons for our article choices:

“I think it is interesting and amazing that elephants can remember so much.” – Niamh

“I felt sorry for the teenagers in Florida who lost a friend.” – Yvie

“I wanted to show the class the remarkable charity work being done to help people.” – Cullen

“Shaun White won gold at the Winter Olympics and I was really pleased for him.” – Harrison

“I wanted to know if some animals are smarter than humans.” – Freya

Primary 4/5

Visit to Cocoabean factory to end our current topic on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

We created our posters for our bake sale (sold out in 2 hours!)

For our writing, we used more adjectives and wow words.

We finished our characters and put them up on the classroom walls.

We also shared our Charlie and Chocolate Factory work with our families and the school at an Assembly.

We said goodbye to Miss Dooley today. Miss Dooley is going to be Principal Teacher at Springholm Primary and we hope she gets on well in her new school.

Primary 5

This week we having been doing our Sumdog Assessments and Samson Maths and practising giving change in money.
We did RME with Miss Gainford and also Accelerated Reading.

Primary 5/6

Miriam, our reading ambassador, was set a challenge to ‘catch us’ Reading. Have a look at her photographs of us reading our books and kindles during our Accelerated Reading Sessions.

We have been learning about SHANARRI this week and what it means.

Mr. Whan has challenged us to eat more fruit and vegetables. We’re going to be trying different types of fruit in class to see if we enjoy them.

Primary 6

Last Friday, P6 held a bake sale to raise funds for our class trip. We raised a massive £179.22! “I enjoyed selling the cakes because it helped with my money” – Charley.
“We were learning how to compare costs on the Tesco and Asda websites – Mia.
“We were learning how to shop with a budget” – Cameron.

Primary 6/7

In Maths we have been developing our knowledge of Time, Distance and Speed. D=S x T     T=D/S

As part of our World War 2 topic we have been learning about animations and Green Screen in ITC. We will use this technology to create a Blitz animation and act an event using Green Screen to place us there.

We have started our new class novel – The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Primary 7

“I had fun making my poster about the Holi festival in ICT.” – Madison

“In Art we have been drawing peacocks – India’s National bird.” – Jessica

“I enjoyed learning about Gandhi this week during topic.” – Rhianna

“I had fun working on tricky angle problems in Maths this week.” – Cormac

“I liked making my own character up during writing with Mrs Carlyle.” – Alistair

“I learned how to play chopsticks on the piano.” – Nicole.

“My team came first in the Scottish Championships and second in our category for synchronised skating.” – Emma.

“Show club was exciting this week and I’ve been working on my audition script for Monday.” – George.

Reminders for Next Week

P1 20/20 sponsors. Remember CAPER packets on Monday.

P1/2 Our Edinburgh Science Festival Workshop is on Wednesday. Please send in any money by Monday. Thank you.

P3 World book day next Thursday – please bring favourite book to school. Children can also come dressed as favourite character.

On Wednesday please caome to school in P.E. kits.

P4 – Please return Viking hill walk permissions slips along with £2.

P4/5 – Our new teacher starts next week: Mrs Findlay.

P5\6 Any junk modelling materials would be appreciated for our play day on Wednesday.

P6 Cross country competition on Wednesday.

P6/7 Cross country session on Wednesday – bring in slips and remember kit.

World Book Day, 20 Activity day, Rotary Quiz, boys football ALL on Thursday!