Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Weekly News – February 9th

Our Weekly School News

Sharing our learning with the school community.

(Comments on our activities are very welcome on the Website posts – click on the small comments link underneath each Post heading.)

School News

A reminder that school is closed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week for Mid-term Holiday and Staff Inservice Training.

Some Class News

Primary 1

We all enjoyed Global Play Day on Wednesday. Lots of children brought in toys from home.

Abbie – “I can’t wait to show my teddy around the classroom.”

Tulisa, Indie and Evie enjoyed making soup for Molly in P5 in our Outdoor Kitchen.

Lily – “I enjoyed playing with my sister in P5.”

Riley – “I liked being a superhero because I was pretending to fly.”

We enjoyed having parents in on Monday for another Storytime session. This time, parents shared a story with small groups and the children loved this.  Our next session is on Thursday 8th March at 2pm.  We hope you can join us!

Primary 1/2

We have had such a busy week!

We made shortbread on Monday, we had our Scottish Showcase on Tuesday and then Global Play Day on Wednesday.

Caleb – “I liked the dancing on Tuesday, it was fun.”

Rose – “I liked the Katie Morag activities on Tuesday. It was funny when she got wet in the book.”

Jack – “I liked bringing my own toy on playday.”

Eamon – “I liked playing all day.”

Alba – “I liked playing with new thigs. I liked making my house out of junk.”

Well done to our Poetry Competition winner Alba and Rose. Super job from all in P1/2.

Primary 2

We had great fun at our Global Play Day on Wednesday.

Imogen- “I liked playing together with all our babies”.

Noah- ” I Liked playing crocodile dentist with Eli”.

Milly- ” I liked playing snap with Cara, George, Amber and Nicole”.

Connor- ” I liked making models with Brooke in P5/6. We made a moustache and a hamster cage”.

Morgan- “I liked playing gooey louie”.

Jayden-” I liked playing with my toys”.

Coby- ” I liked playing pie face with Connor”.

Congratulations to all P2 who said Nessie by JK Annand last week. Connor was our winner and George won our art competition.

Primary 2/3

We have been learning about germs and how to wash our hands well by using hand cream and glitter.

We all enjoyed Global Play Day and made lots of models and pictures. We all got on well and played happily together.

Primary 3

This week in our writing we went outside and stood in a huge circle. We all told part of a story about a wicked witch. We needed to listen really carefully.
In Maths we have been using different symbols to compare numbers. We also took part in Global Play Day and we got to play all Day!!

Kacie- “We got to make bracelets”

Kelvin- “I liked the junk modelling”.

Keir- “I was so happy”.

Callum- “It was the best fun”.

Pawel- ” I was sad that there was no work but I had a good day”.

Primary 3/4

This week P3/4 have been very busy. On Tuesday, we had our Scottish Showcase.  We all really enjoyed having our visitors come into school and take part in all our activities.

Murray said “it was amazing” and Jesse-Leigh said it was fantastic and Charlotte loved having her dad up to dance.

On Wednesday it was Global Play Day Lily thought it was fun. Freya said play day was about people learning to play nicely with one another and Shea said it was fun because everyone was getting along with each other.

In Maths we have been on a right angle hunt in the playground, we found lots of right angles everywhere.

April started at Brownies. Lily completed her dance exam last weekend.  Lhlyaijana has been learning to spin aroud in her ice skating class.  Jesse-Leigh and Freya have moved up a level in swimming and gymnastics.

Primary 4

We welcomed Sara from RHET to enhance our learning about Scottish produce. We shared what we knew about the types of farms in Scotland.  We then played a matching game to identify where Scottish foods come from and a shopping list activity which really got us thinking about where Scottish produce is grown, farmed and harvested.  The best part was making Scottish smoothies using locally sourced and seasonal ingredients.

“I liked the shopping list game, I found out what came from Scotland.” Max T

“I helped make the smoothie. It tasted very creamy. ” Holly G

“I loved the raspberry smoothie. I would like to make it again at home.” Erin B-N

Primary 4/5

We enjoyed going around classes and taking surveys for our Maths because we are data handling. Our poetry was won by Lexie and Jessica and the art competition was won by Duncan and Jessica.

Primary 5

We all enjoyed our Samson Maths Fun Day, learning about symmetry and also doing accelerated reading. We did an Incas test and had fun going on the muga to play too.

We all enjoyed our time with Mrs Teale learning how to play the tin whistle. We had fun with the P1’s on Global Play Day when we took them down to our class to play with us.

Primary 5/6

During Global Play Day we played board games, played with PE equipment and junk modelled with P2 class.

We learned:

• How to help others- Jaimie-Leigh
  • To share- Melissa
  • How to work as a team- Holly
  • How to play with no technology- Rosie

We also learned how to listen to what other people like and how to involve others. We had lots of fun!!

Primary 6

Leland – “We were working with the younger children on Global Play Day and were working on our sharing.”

Isla L – “We were being creative on Global Play Day.”

Ollie – “We have been working on a Textease challenge to create Planet orbits.”

Neave B – “I learned that the sun is a great star.”

Mia – “The sun began as clouds of gas.”

Morven – “We were solving basic equations in maths.”

Cameron – “We have been reviewing different books to help our understanding.”

Rory T – “We used HOTS fans to create questions about our reading.”

Wider Achievement – Threave Rovers 2007 are moving to 9-a-side from 7-a-side.

Primary 6/7

This week P6/7 took part in Safer Internet Day. We were part of a Glow webcast with Police Scotland.

On Wednesday we took part in Global Play Day.

Caitlin – “I really liked the webcast we took part in.”

Lucy – “I enjoyed listening to Mrs Cook from the High School.”

Craig – “I have learned about Blackout propoganda posters and the Blitz.”

Chloe is learning an aerial off the bench at Gymnastics.

Callie is practising for her Ballet Exam coming up soon.

Craig has been going to a computer programming club in Kirkcudbright library.

Primary 7

Rhianna- “I loved playing with people I wouldn’t usually have played with on our play day”.

Owen- ” I had fun making ramps with Harry on Wednesday”.

Taylor-“Jessica showed me how to make slime. It was fun”.

Matthew-“I learned a song on the drums”.

Lily- ” It was really interesting finding out about the High School from Mrs.Cook”

Madison-” I feel I have been improving my multiplication in mental maths”.

Marisa-” Some people have finished their songs in Magic Music Maker and they sound really good”.

Reminders for Next Week

*School photographer will visit school on Wednesday 27th Feb to take individual and family photos.

P4 – Please bring any interesting newspaper articles from home on Monday 19th February for the news board.  Letters in school bags.

P4/5- Trip forms should be returned before the 9th Feb. We are still looking for book donations please. Our assembly date is 23rd Feb at 9.15am.

P6/7 – No football club after school on Friday.