Last week in Numeracy and Mathematics we came to a conclusion with our work using decimal numbers. Whilst establishing the link to both fractions and percentages, we have been adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing decimal numbers through the use of written methods. We understand that ahead of our transition to S1 it is of great importance to show our working and verbalise the strategies we are using when completing written calculations or developing our mental arithmetic. Even if we don’t find the correct answer, we will gain credit for the steps we have taken in getting there. As it was Halloween on Tuesday, our problem solving this week was titled ‘Murder at the Movies’. We had to apply our knowledge of decimals in order to cross off names from the suspects list before eventually finding the culprit. Next week we will be further developing our knowledge of decimal numbers as we move on to look at money. This will be good practise ahead of our Christmas Fayre enterprise work where we will need to use money to purchase resources, work to a budget and hopefully calculate eventual gross and net profits.
In spelling we are continuing to challenge ourselves with tricky spelling rules and patterns. Mr. Logan has been thoroughly impressed with the scores in our spelling test each Friday and the ability to demonstrate our understanding of these words’ definitions in our ambitious, up-leveled sentences. On Thursday we used mind maps as a tool for planning our Poppy Factory visit recount writing. This allowed us to note down key points and phrases that would aid the flow and structure of our work. These pieces of writing will be continued next week where we also have our Big Write event to look forward to. In this time we will be writing some rainforest tanka poems. Our guided reading timetables have been altered as we move onto new group novels, and we ended this week by entering discussion groups on Yammer. This online space within Glow was used to answer a range comprehension type questions posed by Mr. Logan and discuss our novels in greater detail with our peers.
Health and Wellbeing
In P.E, we have been practising ahead of our Linlithgow cluster Sportshall Athletics festival next Wednesday. The events we have been working on are speed bounce, chest push, standing long jump, vertical jump, javelin and relay races. If we are successful at the cluster event, we will move forward to West Lothian finals and Mr. Logan believes we have every chance of doing so judging by the level of performance he has seen. The Sports Committee had their second meeting of the session on Friday and pupils worked hard to design a new logo that will be displayed on any Sports Committee work around school. We will be voting for our winning design at our next meeting in December. Finally, Sam had some fantastic news to share this week as he has been selected to ball boy in Andy Murray’s Live Event next Tuesday. Murray will be facing Roger Federer amongst other matches at the SSE Hydro and you can tune in on Eurosport from 7pm for a chance to see Sam in action!
Coming Up This Term
- The Great Kapok Tree book study next week
- Enterprise project for Christmas Fayre begins on Monday
- Big Write event in class on Tuesday at 9.30 – 10.30am
- 4 x P7b pupils to attend St. Michael’s Day Care Centre on Tuesday at 1.15 – 3.15pm
- P7 Sportshall Athletics festival at Linlithgow Leisure Centre on Wednesday at 1.10 – 2.50pm
- Anti-bullying and racism focus starts in class week beginning 13.11.17
- Liaise with Leadership on 15.11.17 at 5-6pm
- Children in Need on 17.11.17
- Last session of futsal on 27.11.17
- Skills for Learning, Life and Work focus group on 29.11.17 at 7pm
- Skiing block begins on 30.11.17 at 8.30am – 1.15pm (4 weeks)
- PTA Glitter Ball and Christmas Dress Down Day on 1.12.17
- Nativity performances on 6.12.17 and 7.12.17
- Christmas Fayre on 8.12.17 at 9.30am – 12 noon
- Learning Showcase in classes on 13.12.17 at 1pm
- Christmas Service at St. Michael’s on 19.12.17 at 6.30 – 7.30pm
- Carols Round the Tree and Christmas jumpers on 22.12.17
- Christmas holidays from 22.12.17 – 9.1.18
Thank you for reading!
P7b and Mr. Logan