P2-1 Weekly Reflection 13.05.22

It’s been an exciting week as we have begun to learn about Minibeasts. We have been learning the different parts of an insect and know that an insect’s body is made up of three parts; the head, the thorax and the abdomen.

We thought about the different habitats where we might find minibeasts and matched minibeasts to their habitats.  We also learned some new vocabulary when we learned that minibeasts are cold blooded and sometimes go into a state of diapause which Poppy told us “means the insects stop being active until it is warmer again”. We understand that Metamorphosis is the process when an insect changes from a young insect to an adult. A good example is when a caterpillar turns into a butterfly and Theo explains this beautifully when he said “They wrap themselves in a chrysalis and then change into a butterfly. It needs to pump the liquid into its wings to make them strong enough to fly.” We learned how to use a classification key which involved lots of great discussion as some of us didn’t know that butterflies had legs. We particularly enjoyed singing this song, perhaps you could practise it again at home!

In  phonics P1 have been learning the sounds ‘ai’ and ‘oa’ and enjoyed playing a robot game to practise these sounds. The children were also very good at identifying rhyming words with these sounds. P2 were learning about alphabetical order and were putting lots of different minibeasts in order according to their first and second letters.

This week we have been practising our handwriting and been working hard to form upper and lower case D and E correctly.

In maths we have been learning about volume and capacity and are now confident to measure and compare the volumes of different containers.

We enjoyed listening to P1s assembly all about their journey through play. Minny was impressed with how confident they spoke into the microphone.

Here are a few of the children’s highlights this week:-

Poppy “I liked learning about minibeasts and I didn’t know that butterflies had feet and I liked learning about volume. I know volume is about how much liquid can get into the glass.”

Theo “Labelling the parts of an insect was pretty hard.”

Kade “I enjoyed learning about volume and capacity.”

Rory “I liked playing in the building area and building a castle and a camper van.”