Chaplain

In defining his role as school chaplain, my predecessor, Fr Philip Kitchen used the phrase “loitering without intent” implying, I think, that he had no intention other than that of being constantly surprised by the presence of God, the love of Jesus Christ and the sheer inspirational power of the Holy Spirit in the community he served Queen Margaret Academy.

I am delighted to have been asked to follow in Fr Philip’s footsteps. Like him, this will not be my first time at Queen Margaret, having spent five weeks on placement here as a student teacher in the maths and science departments. It was not as long or as illustrious as Fr Kitchen’s contribution to the school community but it was sufficient for me to appreciate the unique character and spirituality of the school community.

The role of chaplain, I think it to support the ongoing development of an atmosphere where every member of the school community can grow as individuals and in their understanding of the presence of God, as reflected in the school’s mission statement.

There are many ways in which chaplaincy can contribute to this: through supporting and encouraging the school’s pastoral care for the whole school, pupils, staff and parents, promoting and assisting with the planning of the celebration of liturgies and co-operating with others in developing the school as a Christian community.

While there is an invaluable link between chaplaincy and the RE department the work of a chaplain is not limited to any particular department nor indeed to working solely in the school. One of the roles of a chaplain is to develop links with the wider community, particularly with local churches.

I am looking forward to spending time in Queen Margaret’s, grateful for the opportunity together with all in the community to grow in our awareness of the presence of God, Father, Son and Spirit.

With every good wish and blessing,

Father Stephen Latham