OUTWARD BOUND

Last week (Jan 5th – Jan9th) a group of 12 S3 pupils from Braidhurst High School attended the Outward Bound Centre at Loch Eil in the Highlands.   The pupils battled against torrential rain and gusts of 60 mph wind to take part in a variety of outdoor adventure activities including canoeing, orienteering, rock climbing in Glen Nevis and diving into the icy waters of Loch Eil as part of the dreaded ‘Jog and Dip’.

The week was an unqualified success with a number of students being given special invitations back to the centre for an extended three-week course in the summer.   All pupils passed the course with flying colours and had a great time working to support each other to overcome tasks.   Staff at the centre commented on how the self-esteem of the individuals grew with each passing task and what a credit the pupils were to both themselves and the school.

Pupil Thomas Baird said, “All the activities were new to me but I enjoyed it all.   It was a good experience; I would go back today if I could.   I would recommend it to anyone who wants to try new things”.

Two more groups of pupils from Braidhurst will be attending the centre in January, hoping to build on the great work of their peers.