Numeracy and Mathematics
Learning in mathematics enables pupils to:
- develop a secure understanding of the concepts, principles and processes of mathematics and apply these in different contexts, including the world of work
- engage with more abstract mathematical concepts and develop important new kinds of thinking
- understand that successful independent living requires financial awareness, effective money management, using schedules and other related skills
- interpret numerical information appropriately and use it to draw conclusions, assess risk, and make reasoned evaluations and informed decisions
- apply skills and understanding creatively and logically to solve problems, within a variety of contexts
- appreciate how the imaginative and effective use of technologies can enhance the development of skills and concepts.
In Kilmacolm Primary pupils will develop their Maths skills through daily mental agility, SEAL Maths, taking part in Number Talks to discuss and explain different maths strategies. Have a look at the ‘Parental Engagement’ section of this website to see some videos of the children explains maths strategies.
The KPS children love maths! #KPSLovesMaths
KPS is a Rights Respecting School (Silver Award)
Article 28 – Every child has the right to an education.
Article 29 – Education must develop every child’s personality, talents and abilities to the full. It must encourage the child’s respect for human rights, as well as respect for their parents, their own and other cultures, and the environment.
Article 31 – Every child has the right to relax, play and take part in a wide range of cultural and artistic activities.