Generally, children in Scotland start school when they are aged between four-and-a-half and five-and-a-half.
When they are eligible to start school depends on when their fifth birthday is:
- If your child’s birthday is on or between 1 March-31 August, your child will usually start school in the August term after (or on) their fifth birthday.
- If your child’s birthday is on or between 1 September-last day in February, your child will usually start school in the August term before their fifth birthday.
If your child turns 5 between 1 January and the last day in February, you are entitled to another year in early learning and childcare. If your child turns 5 between the school commencement date in August and 31 December, parents are entitled to defer their child’s entry to school by a year, but decisions about funded early learning and childcare in the deferred year are at the discretion of the local authority. Visit Inverclyde council’s website to find out more information about this in your area.
How will my child’s school help to ensure that transitions go smoothly?
Our Primary one teachers at Gourock Primary teachers work closely with early learning and childcare staff to ensure that information about your child’s learning and achievements are passed on. Staff will also share other information that will help the teacher support your child’s learning, for example friendship groups, preferred ways of working.
How can I help?
To help prepare your child for a good start you can:
- listen and talk to your child about this change in their lives
- involve your child in getting ready for school by helping choose the things they will need, for example their uniform, lunchbox, schoolbag
- talk to your school if you have questions or concerns
- support staff in getting to know your child, let them know about interests and health issues
- keep in touch with the school about anything that may affect your child’s learning
- find out how the school will communicate with you.
You may wish to read or download Parenting across Scotland’s top ten tips – starting primary school.
How can I find out more about my child’s school?
At Gourock primary we have a number of induction events. These are designed to let you and your child meet teachers and become familiar with the school. Dates for these events will be issued on enrolment. You can also read our school handbook which is available on this website…it has a lot of information that you will find useful such as:
- Contact details – including information on how the school communicates with its parents and how parents can communicate with the school
- Information about opportunities for parents to become involved in the school and in their child’s education
- a statement of the school’s culture, ethos and values
- Information on curriculum, assessment and reporting
- Arrangements for support for pupils
- School’s performance and achievements
- Range of school policies and practical information