Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Measurement

Activity 1 – How Tall Am I?

Focus – I am exploring and can make choices about how I measure.

Resources – items in the home, pencil and paper.

Using non-standard measurements (e.g. hand spans, a book, a toy, an apple) measure how tall different members of your family are by asking them to lie on the floor and then use an item to check e.g. my dad is 30 handspans, my sister is 16 handspans. You are invited (if you wish) to share your answers by bringing your results in to class or by email to cdpsps1@gmail.com  Photos are also welcome 🙂

Please link to Photographs Page to see some of the creative solutions our families have come up with 🙂

I used spoons to measure myself …

and my sister ….

and my mummy.

Activity 2 – Ideas for measuring at home.

Focus – I am exploring objects which have different sizes, different weights and can hold different amounts.

Involve your child in unpacking and putting away the shopping. Almost any kind of talk is likely to involve measure, for example, how heavy the tins are, the size of the cereal packet, whether the apples will fit in the bowl, etc.