What is the Cluster Working Review (CWR)?
In response to a number of strategic considerations facing Education Services over a period of years, Dumfries and Galloway Council have decided to look at the following strands of our provision to young people and families:
- Transition Activity P7-S1
- Dual zoning and catchment delineation
- Sustaining small schools
The strategic considerations that led to this Review were that:
- 40% of Headteachers (HT) are eligible to retire in primary schools across Dumfries and Galloway in the next 4 years
- there are increased expectations of staff as a result of Curriculum for Excellence (CfE)
- there has been an inability to recruit to teaching HT posts resulting in chronic instability for some schools
- over all our schools there are falling rolls (5%) over the next 4 years
- Headteachers have raised concerns over their workload when teaching and managing
- Staff have concern over progression in learning from P7 to S1 impacting on success in secondary school
- there is an inconsistency in learning and teaching in schools where the HT teaches and manages
- Many young people are in peer groups of 5 or less
To find out more about this process, which will have an impact on Brydekirk Primary, and to share your views please click here.