This Week in P4

What an amazing week of exploring.  We have been to the Antarctic (sort of) when we listened to Peter Convey’s experiences as a terrestrial ecologist doing research at the British Antarctic base. We have explored our local woodland and bought back holly and ivy for our class Advent wreath.  The children collected greenery with great enthusiasm so they were then able to decorate the classroom as well!

We began to explore the book The Lost Words by Robert Macfarlane, by reading the poems on an acorn and a weasel. The children then wrote their own shape poems for holly or ivy.

Baby Emma came to visit once more and we were able to observe and think about the things Emma can now do that she couldn’t before.

The children took their first steps into peer evaluation of homework this week, which they did very well, remembering the three rules of feedback – be kind, be specific, be helpful.

We finished off our week with our last NYCOS session. The children have thoroughly enjoyed the sessions and learned so much.

Finally we lit our first advent candle to mark the end of the first week in December, as we count towards the coming of the holidays and time with family and friends.

My proud teacher moment this week has been the kindness and generosity of your children as they are willing to give a specific act of kindness through our advent weeks, and help in the lunch hall.

P1 & Ms King

Learning Reflection for W/E 7.12.18

The children designed some lovely posters to help advertise our Nativity. We looked at examples of events posters and discussed our success criteria. They children decided that a successful poster should include information about: what, where and when. Our sounds focus this week was w, y and tricky word put. In numeracy the children are continuing to play games to explore subtraction.

Lewis – We learned w and y. They are not the same colour, y is green and w is a red sound, yak has the y sound.

Charley – We have a chocolate calendar.

Alister – We are counting down to Christmas.

Poppy – I was learning y, you go down the horn up the horn and under the head.

Sushanth – The daddy penguin keeps the egg warm on his feet.

Roshan – I liked to learn about w it’s down up down up, web begins with w.

Solomia – We learned the y sound.

Hiba – We were starting from ten and we rolled the dice and then we had to take away that number, I used a rekenrek to count.

Christian – I made a penguin.

Austin –  We played a game where we turned around and Ms King mixed the numbers up then we had to sort them in the right order, we looked at the number next and before to see what they should be.

Subhan – I enjoyed learning about penguins, the daddy penguin tucked the egg on his feet so it’s not cold.

Kaelan – We were skip counting in 10’s then we made them in the right order we looked at the number before and after to check.

Nicholas – We are learning w it’s a red sound because it’s a loud lip sound.

P2 This Week

We have been busy learning the order of the alphabet this week- we sorted out jumbled up letters and sang and danced to the alphabet song. 

We have been learning to weigh in our Christmas Parcel Office, where we sorted parcels into heavy and light sacks.

We have been working hard on our Nativity and are looking forward to performing it next week ( please have all costumes in on Monday for the dress rehearsal).

In science, we learned about the Moon and created pictures from pastels. We then added facts about the moon that we had learned.

This week in P5….

This week we have Ava, Noel and Poppy doing our school blog…

We have enjoyed Choir Practice; preparing for Cluster Choir and Christmas Tree Light switch on.

Poppy  – I really like the Rumble workshop showcase and how we have learned all the different African rhythms and songs. This week the class have gotten better at doing the Dashing White Sergeant dance. The phone call with the Scientist was great as I got to ask him a question ” What is the most dangerous part of Antartica?”

Ava – I really thought our writing task was exciting and mysterious as we had the re-write The Tale of the 3 Brothers.

Noel – I enjoyed doing the Number talks tasks this week. Also enjoyed Noggle too.

Thank you Poppy, Ava and Noel!

Have a lovely weekend

Mrs T 🙂

First week of December!

This week in P7…

Special mention to the netball team who played in the West Lothian League at ICHS on Wednesday afternoon. Many had never played in a competitive game before and were very nervous. They did not need to worry, they were a great team and supportive of each other. Everyone showed a great improvement in technique and skill and had a fantastic time. Mrs T and myself are very proud of them all.

Emmie – This week we done sports hall athletics on Thursday. I did the 2 by 1 relay with Kaitlyn, also the javelin and vertical jump. Our class also did a class race and we came 1st in the heat we were racing, and 2 more schools raced after us. I had a lot of fun at the sports hall athletics and I hope we get through to the West Lothian Finals.

Sophie M. – At basketball the school A team still didn’t lose a match. We are now in the A league at the top of the table.

Kaitlyn – I liked the sports hall athletics. I loved the whole class relay at the end.

Brandon – I liked the running relay at the athletics. I liked watching the other boys race to cheer them on.

Lewis – I liked getting to type the poems we wrote on the computer. I think I did well with my poem.

P3 Weekly Reflection 7.12.18

What an exciting week we have had.  The children have worked really hard to practise their assembly lines and were amazing this morning when sharing their learning with the whole school.  It was lovely to see so many grown-ups there to support the children and we appreciate your lovely feedback.

As well as our own assembly, we attended a whole school assembly led by Mrs Mill on Resilience.  We will be working hard to learn the skills needed to be more resilient in tougher times.  Anna reminded us that the main character who will help us to learn about Resilience is called Skipper and he will be teaching  us to navigate our boats along the river of life.

This week’s highlights from the children:-

Olly “I enjoyed getting ready for the assembly.”

Kalista “I enjoyed the fact that so many parents could come to see our assembly.”

Joe “I liked the parents’ feedback from our assembly.”

Luke N “I enjoyed practising the assembly.”

Finn “I enjoyed the assembly too.”

Ethan “I enjoyed when we got to go up on the stage and read our stuff.  It was scary and I got butterflies in my tummy but it was fun.  I think we should film the assemblies for the parents who can’t make it.”

Have a lovely weekend and remember the Christmas Lights will be switched on this evening in the village at 6pm.  Look forward to seeing you there.

P6 Blog

This week’s Blog Master is Cameron.

This week in P6 we have  been preparing for our Antarctica assembly

“I really liked doing the rapping it was really fun and I’m still learning.”-Silvester

“I enjoyed doing the artwork for our assembly.”- Aiden

“I enjoyed painting the penguins because it was fun.”- Ellie

“I liked learning the Antarctica rap.”- Natalie

“I loved practicing for our assembly especially the songs.”-Charlie

“I enjoyed doing the art.”-Katy

“I liked doing the paintings.”-Murray

“I liked doing the penguin art.”-Rowan

“I liked learning about Antarctica because I learned new things.”-Ainslie

“I enjoyed painting the penguins because I like art.”-Luke

“I really enjoyed the art because I got to get creative.”-Hayley B

This week week all of P6 went to Rumble.

“I liked the songs at rumble.”-Lewis

“I liked learning the songs at rumble.”-Calum

” It was fun.”-Finlay

“I enjoyed the drums at Rumble.”-Leon

“It was fun and I enjoyed it.”-Sri

” I enjoyed showing everyone what I did in rumble”-Cade

“I liked when everybody came for rumble.”-Zoe

“I enjoyed Rumble because there was nice music.”-Eesa

“I really liked going to Rumble.”-Logan F

“I liked going to Rumble.  We sung We Will Rock You and played the drumsticks.”-Jamie

“I liked doing songs with the drumsticks.”-Kyle

“I liked doing the penguin Art.”-Matthew

“I liked doing the Rumble because it was really fun.”-Cameron

“I liked doing the music with the drumsticks.”-Logan Y

“I liked the Rumble performance because I did  che che colie.”-Callan

P1a Learning Reflection W/E 7th December

The weeks are sure flying in. P1 have had another busy week working hard and learning lots. In literacy we learned the sounds y and w. We taught ted how to write these sounds, built words such as web with them and completed a word search with y words in it. In writing we created a poster advertising our nativity. Our poster had to include a detailed picture, the title of our nativity, where and when it is happening. Some of our posters are displayed around the school. In number talks we have been continuing to learn about skip counting and recognising a visual pattern. This week we counted in 5s as well as 10s. We have been using Numicon to support our learning about subtraction within in 10. In Science we made pop up penguins. We have been continuing to practise for our nativity and are ready for our dress rehearsal on Monday 10th December and our two performances to our parents, first of all on Tuesday 11th December at 2.30pm and then on Wednesday 12th December at 10am. Tickets are available from Mrs Young at the office. Here are a few of the children’s reflections from the week:

Isaac:”I found writing the letter w tricky.”

Ch: “I enjoyed creating a poster for our Nativity Whoops-a-Daisy Angel.”

Euan: ” I enjoyed writing the letter w.”

Lois: ” I enjoyed writing the letter y.”

Rory: ” I enjoyed learning how to write the letters y and w.”

Sam: “I found it tricky writing w.”

Murdo: “I also found it difficult to write w.”

Ayden: ” I enjoyed writing the letter w.”