Friday 28.9.18

Primary 5 have been very busy this week solving maths problems and confidently explaining to their Talk Partners about different strategies, celebrating European Day of Languages, playing handball in preparation for our Festival 9th October, learning more about Mary Queen of Scots, sharing our Home Learning and getting prepared for Lowport camp next week!

The highlight of the week appeared to be the food tasting session on Wednesday with all the children trying a European food that they had not eaten before! They thoroughly enjoyed it with Ben and Noel declaring it a ‘feast’!

I have also loved hearing all about their Home Learning today too. Ethan created a fantastic broom that resembled a Nimbus 2000, a fantastic example of family learning as he explained his dad helped him. Great Job!!!  I loved hearing about family walks, family meals out, movie nights and Lily loved telling us about going to see her Auntie perform a signing session for her new book.

Without question the big excitement this week has been talking about School Camp. The children are very excited about all the activities that they are going to take part in, as well as lots of questions about ‘Disco Clothes’….see you all on Monday bright eyed and bushy tailed for 3 days of fun, exploration and memories.

Have a lovely weekend…

Mrs Taylor

P3 Weekly Reflection 28.09.18

This week our highlight was sharing in the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning as we raised funds for MacMillian Cancer Support.  Thanks to all who gave so generously.

The children participated in some great discussions this week around our Farming topic.  We have been learning how different plants and animals are farmed and about farming through the seasons.  Rhys said he particularly enjoyed watching the video programmes about life on a farm during the summer and autumn.  Next week we will learn about life on the farm through the winter and spring.  Luke N said before the video he didn’t know that chickens lived in “little cages”.  He thinks it is better to have free range chickens so the animals have space to move about.  Luke C enjoyed learning about the different names for pigs; weaners, baconers and porkers.  Emma M was intrigued to find out that deer are killed at only 14 months for their meat.  We learned that deer meat is called venison.  Kaitlyn commented on the fact that deer can grunt, we didn’t expect them to make this noise, we thought it sounded funny.

In problem solving we continued to develop our use of lists by making tables to work out possible scores for a dart game.  Rhys said he enjoyed this activity and was proud of himself as Mrs Clyne praised him for supporting his peers in their learning.  There was a lot of super discussion during this task.

Some of us received our signed books from Elizabeth McKay yesterday which we had been eagerly awaiting.  Olly said he enjoyed writing a letter to New Lanark to thank them for allowing us to attend the Book Festival.  Most of the children enjoyed the Annie McLeod Experience best.  Perhaps some of you will be able to visit New Lanark as a family and learn more about Annie McLeod.

Have a lovely weekend. Mrs Clyne and family are off to explore the National Museum of Rural Life.

P7 are very responsible citizens

As always this has been a very busy week for P7. In writing we have been trying to use high level connectives for our comparison of Japan and Scotland. We have begun to learn the many rules of netball in PE. It is quite different from other sports we love. We had a great time on Wednesday which was European Day of Languages when we had a treat tasting all sorts of European food. The sweet things, meat, currywurst and cheese all went down well, but the poor olives were neglected!

Aside from all the formal learning, I wanted to highlight the many responsibilities that P7 pupils take on. Most of the roles have to be applied for with a written application followed up with an interview or presentation. The skills involved in this are all part of Developing the Young Workforce. For every single position, the staff have been overwhelmed by the professionalism and skill of our young people. Our Junior Road Safety Officers, Reading Champions, House Captains, Sports Captains, Pupil council, Sports Committee have all been successfully through this process.

In addition, P7 have roles as rainy day monitors, corridor monitors, reading buddies, P1 buddies, recycling monitors, lunch trolley movers. All of the jobs have to be done as well as their in-class learning, so they really are developing their time-management skills as well.

However, today a huge amount of praise should go to the many P7 pupils who helped out at our Macmillan Coffee Morning. They all worked tirelessly and politely for the whole morning, mucking in doing whatever needed done. Many staff and visitors have complimented them on their great work. We are all very proud of them. FANTASTIC WORK P7!

This week in P4

The highlights this week have been the the first session of reading buddies (see our last post below), and undoubtedly the cakes at the McMillan coffee morning!

The children also want to say how much they are enjoying the music lessons with Karen from the National Youth Choir of Scotland (NYCOS).

Most of the children did really well in their first quiz of the week based on their learning and shared home learning this week. Well done.

This week in P6…

We’ve been continuing to learn about our school values and we completed Mr McCallum-McKay’s challenge of designing posters about them.

Some of us competed in the primary handball league tournament this week.
”It was challenging but we still did well!” – Logan F
”We made sure that we passed the ball to include everybody in our team!” – Ainslie
”We were good at communicating as a team!” – Zoe
”The other teams played really well!” – Hayley B
”I really like going.  It was fun!” – Eesa
”I’m excited to play the other two schools who didn’t make it this time.” – Logan Y
”We are looking forward to the next set of games!” – Finlay, Aiden & Luke
“I enjoyed handball.  I was in goals most of the time.” – Callan
“Handball was really fun even though we lost a lot of games!” – Rowan

On Wednesday we celebrated European Day of Languages. We used some of our French and Spanish and we also started learning German (just for fun!). We practised saying the numbers from 1-20 and then played some number games. Miss Greig told us all about her trip to Paris and she brought us some treats!  In the afternoon we had a food tasting with a selection of foods from France, Germany, Spain, Belgium and Italy. Rowan also brought us in some Indian snacks to try! Sri is going to teach us some Indian and Silvester is going to teach Lithuanian.  We researched European countries and read some dual language books.
“It was interesting trying all the different foods.  I liked the salami.” – Finlay
“I loved the German sausages.  Thank you Germany!” – Charlie
 “I really enjoyed researching the capital cities of Europe.” – Calum
”The whole day was really exciting and fun.  Miss Greig brought lots of sweet treats in!” – Charlie
”I liked the little jam tarts from France.” – Eesa
”I liked the activities we did because they were challenging and fun!  I liked the salami.” – Murray
”I liked doing the research and I tasted new foods.  I didn’t like the olives but I loved the Indian snacks.” – Lewis
“I tried the cheeses from Italy and France.  I liked the Italian one but not the French one!” – Sri
“I loved most of the food but I didn’t like the cheeses.  I loved the German sausage and Miss Marnie’s currywurst sauce!” – Ellie
“I liked the crepes because they were tasty!  I also liked the sausages with the currywurst sauce!” – Jamie
 “Most of the food was good but I didn’t really like the pain au chocolat.  I really liked the sausages!” – Silvester
“I tried almost everything! I quite liked the German sausage and the sugar waffles from Belgium.” – Rowan
“I pretty much tried everything except the French cheese and olives.  I loved the German sausage.  The currywurst sauce was really nice.  I also loved the crepes!” – Callum
“I loved all the food especially the pain au chocolat and the olives!  Lots of people didn’t like them!” – Leon
“The food was delicious! My favourite was the currywurst sauce because I’d never tried it before!” – Hayley D
“I liked making a Spanish poster.  I liked the sausages, meats and crepes the best!” – Cameron

Some of us were chosen to take part in a workshop called ‘Rumble!’ With Limelight Music. We learned some African chants.
 “I enjoyed it because it was really good fun!” – Sri
“It was really fun and I enjoyed the warm up games!” – Katy
“We learned an African song.  Gordon was playing the drums and Cat was teaching us actions to help us to singalong.” – Natalie
“It was good fun and we laughed a lot!” – Cade
“I thought it was really good fun and I can’t wait until next week.” – Leon
“It was good because we did lots of games.” – Hayley D

P1a Learning Reflection W/E 28th September

This week P1 have been learning the sounds g and o. We are enjoying learning how to word build with these sounds and Fred talking words. Mrs Aitken taught us the story of Inky’s Vowel House. In writing, We wrote about Autumn. We used our senses to help us. In numeracy, we have started having number talks. We look at different dot patterns and discuss different ways of making those numbers. We also explored counting backwards and identifying numbers before. We designed a poster about our school values for a competition. Our school values are aspiration,compassion,equality, perseverance and respect. In Science we went outside and were looking for different examples of materials. We celebrated European Languages day by learning how to say bonjour and au revoir. We also had a session with our P4 reading buddies. Here are a few of the children’s reflections:

Sam: “I liked drawing my values poster because I drew a mini James.”

Leo: “I have enjoyed talking about numbers and counting backwards.”

Lois: “I enjoyed the challenge of designing a poster about our school values.”

Murdo: “I enjoyed designing my poster and learning how to write o.”

Ayden: “I liked designing my poster for Mr McCallum- McKay.”

Emma: “I enjoyed looking for different materials in science.”

Rory: “I liked designing my perseverance poster.”

Here are some photos of our learning:

P4-P1 Reading buddies P1-P4

This week, on Monday, saw the first steps of our  reading buddies sessions.  The P4’s were very excited and couldn’t wait to meet their buddies. One or two had already been making friends in the playground and this has continued all week. The children sat well reading and listening, learning to share and to be considerate of each other. Although you can’t see the smiles on the faces, believe me they were there and many were grinning at the sheer delight of having a reading buddy.

This week in P4

Highlights this week have been:

• Challenging the children to listen for sentences while a paragraph is read to them.
  • Challenging the children to uplevel sentences using powerful words.
  • Using the school library  to research facts about the world.
  • Revisiting their knowledge of 3D shapes.
  • enjoying the first in a series of lessons on the colour wheel.

Learning Reflection for W/E 21.09.18

P1 enjoying some ERIC time in class this week!

A short but busy week! Please see below for your children’s learning comments.

Lewis – This week the assembly was about fairness. It was not fair because we didn’t get to eat the chocolate!

James – I liked the dancing, we were waving.

Charley – We learned the p sound. It is a pink sound because it’s made with your lips and it is quiet.

Subhan – It’s a soft sound.

Poppy – I liked the indoor break, we watched Peppa Pig on the smart board.

Alister – I like when we say the numbers.

Sushanth – I enjoyed learning the p sound, we go down the pirates pleat and round his face.

Roshan – I enjoyed dancing.

Have a great weekend!

Ms King x

Short Week but Busy as Ever in P7

Hi everyone,

This week we had our first session of reading circles. There is a lot to remember and to discuss but for a first session most people rose to the challenge. Already many pupils have reflected on how to make things work better the next time. The most important thing though is that everyone has done the expected reading and activity. We will usually do our reading on a Monday but we did it on Wednesday this week because we were so keen to get started.

Word of the Week – this is proving a popular, if challenging way to learn new words. House points are available to anyone trying out the word in a conversation or in their writing. This week the word is ZEALOUS. Previous words are ARCHIPELAGO and QUANDARY.

We have learned some useful phrases in French – j’ai faim, j’ai soif, je suis fatigue, bonsoir, j’ai chaud, j’ai froid

Comments from pupils:

Harry – this week I found updating Didbook really fun because I go to write about what I am good at. What I found hard was the Lepra dance: it was confusing for me.

Matthew – the Lepra dancing/boxing on Thursday morning was fun. Maths yesterday was fun and a challenge. Also I enjoyed handball.

Claudia – I thought the problem solving maths was really fun on Thursday. I didn’t get them all right but it was still fun.

Erin – ERIC time went really well because I am ZEALOUS about reading and when it is quiet it’s best because I can really get into the story.

Brooke – The dancing on Thursday was pretty funny. Also the interview for the house captains was good. Nothing much difficult happened this week because it was a half week. My target is to win the winning house again.

Remember home learning is due in on Thursday 26th September.