The Rainbow Room visits the woods

In the Rainbow Room we have been reading a fantastic story called ‘The Gruffalo’ by Julia Donaldson. We enjoyed discussing all the different characters and made stick puppets of them. We discussed all the different feelings these characters had throughout the story and we decided that mouse was very clever!

We took our stick puppets out into the woods and created our very own houses for the animals to live. We had to think very carefully about what materials we would use for each animal. We decided that fox would like to sleep next to rocks and that owl would definitely sleep on the top of a tree. We worked in groups to gather all our materials and completed our houses in teams. We had a great time and were very lucky with the weather!

West Lothian Council Parent Survey

Dear Parent/Carer

West Lothian Council are always keen to have feedback from parents/carers and therefore have asked if you would complete the below survey (just click on the link and it will open up the survey).  The closing date on the survey is 11 December 2015.

The survey contains only five statements to rate strongly disagree to strongly agree – there is also space to add comments if parents wish.

·         Communication is effective between my child’s school and home.

·         My child’s school provides me with the information I need to help my child learn at home.

·         I feel confident supporting my child’s learning at home.

·         I am aware of West Lothian’s complaints procedure.

·         I know how I can become involved in my school’s parent council.

Many thanks for your support

Dear Parent/Carer

Thank you to everyone who has supported the school this term.  It has been a busy term with lots happening.  I look forward to meeting many of you at our forthcoming Christmas events.

Farewell to Mrs Ross

Mrs Ross has worked at Harrysmuir Primary for many years and Continue reading ‘NEWSLETTER – NOVEMBER 2015′

P5 Lowport Residential 2015

Primary 5 have returned from a fantastic week at the Lowport Centre in Linlithgow. P5H were there from Monday morning until Wednesday lunchtime and P5B stayed from Wednesday afternoon until Friday lunchtime.

We participated in a lot of fun activities including: a handling session with artefacts at Annet House museum, a walk round the loch, orienteering, a visit to Linlithgow palace and a wet and muddy (but great fun!) woodland adventure at Beecraigs.

Evening entertainment included a torchlit ( but still very dark) walk around the Linlithgow Peel, Prize Bingo, diary writing, listening to bedtime stories and the much anticipated disco on the final night.

Mrs Fairley and Mrs Bracewell were pleased with how well we ate and slept :). We learned lots of new skills when we were there, make sure you ask us what we enjoyed

Dear Parent/Carer

I am delighted to welcome everyone back to a new session at Harrysmuir.  A special welcome to Parents of our new P1 children.  We have a mix of new Parents and those who already have a child in Harrysmuir.  I hope to work in partnership with you Continue reading ‘SEPTEMBER – NEWSLETTER’

Dear Parent/Carer

The Rainbow Room

We are thrilled that our Rainbow Room is up and running! We have worked hard to create a welcoming and homely setting where children can learn and develop in a secure environment. Children attend the Rainbow Room for sessions lasting Continue reading ‘OCTOBER – NEWSLETTER’

The Rainbow Room

We are thrilled that our Rainbow Room is up and running! We have worked hard to create a welcoming and homely setting where children can learn and develop in a secure environment. Children attend the Rainbow Room for sessions lasting between 40 minutes to an 1hour and 15 minutes.

During sessions in the Rainbow Room children engage in a range of activities that include;

• Listening and talking activities
  • Literacy and Numeracy based activities
  • Outdoor learning in the quiet garden
  • Free and structured play
  • Snack preparation and cooking
  • Social and Life skills

The pupils who have attended so far have been excited to share their experiences with the other pupils and their teachers.

P7R investigate magnetism

P7R have been learning about the properties of magnets and electro-magnetism.  We have conducted two experiments to test our hypotheses – we created our own needle magnets similar, to a compass, to test a magnetic field and then we used a battery to create our own electromagnet.  We are learning to write up our science reports in a clear way and  have really enjoyed watching exciting video clips to show how magnets are used in real life.  We had some fascinating discussion about the famous Maglev train in Shanghai!

P4Mc Edinburgh Castle Trip

Today Primary 4 Mc and R visited Edinburgh Castle as part of our social studies topics. Everybody had a fab time! The sun was shining and we made the most of the weather walking about the castle. Have a look at some photos from P4Mc Mrs McLachlan P9280805 P9280813 P9280785 P9280797 P9280801 P9280784 P9280787

P7C -Learning this week

This week we have been doing lots of different math activity’s in class studying shape.We are learning the names of properties of 2D and 3D shapes, these are the vertices, edges and faces.

For mental maths we have been doing bridging and adjusting using a empty number line.This will help us in later life to add and subtract mentally.

In language we have been studying Roald Dahl and his amazing book Boy, it tells us about his life when he was younger. We made our own timelines in story events and were giving a chapter to do it on.

Here is some pictures from this weeks activity’s.

P9170007P9250015P9240004 P9240008 P9240013 P9240012