NURSERY – Fun and Learning at Home

Good Morning

Here are some suggested activities to give a try.

Kim’s Game – Kim’s Game is a memory game using everyday items.

Collect 6 or so items from around your house and lay them out. Discuss each item with your child(ren) to see what they can tell you about them e.g. colours,  purpose, texture, what it’s made from e.g. we use a spoon to eat food with or stir things, it’s silver, you hold it in your hand, it feels smooth, it’s made of metal, etc.

Once you have discussed all the items, ask the child(ren) to have a good look and to try to remember what items there are.

Then the child(ren) cover their eyes while the adult removes one item. The child(ren) need to guess what item is missing.  Whoever gets it right, is the next person to hide an item, etc. Natural items can also be used when playing this game outdoors. L.I I am developing my concentration skills and memory.

Online games – Click on the following link to play online games which will develop many different skills. L.I I am developing problem solving strategies, navigation and co-ordination skills, as I play and learn with electronic games, remote control or programmable toys. https://pbskids.org/games/

Life Cycle  Jenson has been doing the butterfly project. “We have been looking after baby caterpillars, watching them eat and grow bigger, forming their chrysalis then emerge as beautiful butterflies for us to release. We have been reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar book, painting caterpillars and butterflies with handprints and learning all about the life cycle.” L.I I have observed living things in the environment over time and am becoming aware of how they depend on each other.

I know some other children in the nursery are doing this as well, it would be great to keep us updated on your learning journal. If you are interested in this, you could always learn more about this by reading a book about the life cycle or watching a video on YouTube.

#GlobalDayofParents – Monday was National Parents’ Day to recognise and appreciate parents for all that you do. We know how hard you work, especially so at the moment. Be kind to yourself and take a moment to recognise all that you do for your family, no matter how big or small it may seem.

All the Ladies at East Calder Nursery would like to say a HUGE thank you to our parent/carers, for all your hard work through this challenging time. You are doing an amazing job, teaching your child life skills, supporting your child when they need reassurance, creating memories your child will remember forever and soo much more! All the Ladies have loved seeing your updates on your Learning Journals. We are thinking of and missing all our families at East Calder.

Sports day – We are having a virtual sports day on Wednesday the 10th of June so next week the blog will only be updated with lots of sports day ideas from the Ladies. We will post these on Tuesday to allow you to get resources ready for Wednesday (don’t worry we have all had to improvise, please just use what you have got in your house). We would love you to join in the fun and share your sports day on your Learning Journal. L.I I am enjoying daily opportunities to participate in different kinds of energetic play, both outdoors and indoors. I am developing my fine and gross motor skills, coordination and balance.

Remember to have a look at http://blogs.glowscotland.org,uk/wl/snonursery for more learning at home ideas.

Take Care

EC Nursery Team