This Week in Primary 5

This week in Primary 5 we have been busy filming our Sharing the Learning video to send out to our parents and carers to tell them all about what we are learning in Numeracy and Maths and how people at home can help us.

We have been working on dividing by 8 and 6, or showing the link between division and multiplication this week. One group had an opportunity to use a calculator with their tasks this week.

In Spelling this week, we practised our words by creating spelling flowers. This is where we write the word in the middle and then write the letters which make up the word on each petal. We also played noughts and crosses using our spelling words. Every time we got a word right, we got to put our nought or cross down!

In Writing we have continued our Narrative writing. This week we used an idea from watching an Author’s Live episode with Cressida Cowell who wrote the ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ books, where we drew a map first and then used this map to create a plan for an adventure story. Mrs Hillan showed us a few examples of maps, such as the map of Neverland. We will use these maps and plans to write our stories next week!

In Reading we made predictions again, based on where we are at in our group readers. It is interesting to see if our predictions are correct as we read on.

Lewis D – I predict that the tiger will turn out a different colour from the colour a tiger is meant to be.

Olivia – I predict that the children are going to be late to the palace because the police are going to stop them for too long.

Erin R – I predict that the crowd of people are not going to let the children past and the Queen will think they are not coming.

Kayleigh – I predict that Biff and Wilf got trapped and then the man took the Blue Eye.

Chloe – I think the man has the Blue Eye but the children get it again and they go back to the castle.

Sophie C – I predict that the ferris wheel will break down at the fair.

Since it was the celebration of Robert Burns on Tuesday, we talked about him, listened to some of his poems and did a little bit of research on him. We also designed our own tartans.